Talk

Advanced search

New York and where else in Easter hols?

(11 Posts)
AllAboutTheGin Thu 14-Mar-19 13:17:19

We are booked for 2 weeks flying in and out of JFK. Visiting friends in NY for a week and we're looking for some where to explore for a second week. Not really sure what we want other than we don't want to travel more than a few hours (will hire car) and we have small kids so can't cram too much in. I know the weather will be uncertain too. I guess we want some outdoors to explore. Literally no clue where to begin.
Kids are 8, 5 and 2.
Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
MissConductUS Thu 14-Mar-19 14:30:15

New Yorker here.

Would you be open to taking the train to Boston or Washington? You might be able to change your flight home so that you wouldn't have to return to JFK to fly home.

Of the two, with kids your age, Boston would be more fun, Washington a bit more educational.

If you do Boston you could do a day trip to somewhere like Cape Ann to get a bit of the outdoors and oceanfront.

Feel free to ask questions, I'm sort of the MN Yank US travel consultant. smile

jolufc Fri 15-Mar-19 04:17:43

Bahamas cruise for a week out of NY?

BoogleMcGroogle Sun 17-Mar-19 18:39:37

We are also spending almost 2 weeks in the States over Easter. We've gone for 4 nights in NYC, catching the train to Washington for 3 nights and then hiring a car from Dulles for 4 night hiking in Shenandoah National Park in VA. We are flying out of Washington, but the train back to NYC would be doable too. Boston is also lovely, although it'll be getting cooler the further north you head. The cherry blossoms should be out in Washington, which was a bit of a draw for me 🙂

BoogleMcGroogle Sun 17-Mar-19 18:41:42

There is loads to do with kids in Boston. If you do end up there, I'd recommend the science museum, aquarium, children's museum and the little Legoland. It's small and walkable with kids.

Magmatic80 Sun 17-Mar-19 18:46:33

Washington on the train, love it there! The spy museum has air conditioning ducts to crawl through to spy on the room below. Awesome!

AllAboutTheGin Sun 17-Mar-19 20:19:46

Oh we’re so torn between DC and Boston. Most people rave about Boston, but i’ve Been told DC might be better with kids, less hectic (really?) and much better chance of warmer weather in April. But we seem more drawn to the idea of Boston. No idea why as I know nothing about it!

OP’s posts: |
chemenger Sun 17-Mar-19 21:32:44

I wouldn’t really class Boston as hectic. Lots to do and a relatively compact city with easy to negotiate public transport.

SenecaFalls Sun 17-Mar-19 21:39:19

Will no one think of Philadelphia?

Seriously, it's a great city and there's a lot to do there. It's also a lot closer than Boston or DC.

pinkhousesarebest Mon 18-Mar-19 21:34:00

Boston! Wonderful. We got the Magicbus- four hour drive and if you sit upfront you get a fab view and legroom. We went in October and chased the New England fall. Science museum was great- we went to Cape Anne and Salem and Martha's Vineyard. Unforgettable holiday.

JenniferJareau Sat 30-Mar-19 14:21:36

I went to New York for a week then took the Acela Express to Washington, I think it took 3 hours. I was in Washington for 5 nights but could have done it in 3 easily. Wish I had stopped off elsewhere now.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in