Talk

Advanced search

Long haul flight what to take? Kids aged 3 and 8

(25 Posts)
DaisyEmma Wed 13-Mar-19 14:01:47

We are considering flying to Thailand from U.K. with our children who are 3 and 8. Any recommendations for things to take to help keep them entertained would be great!!

OP’s posts: |
adulthumanwolf Wed 13-Mar-19 14:08:33

Oh god, we did London - Singapore - Brisbane last week so I'm guessing about the same flight length, and the biggest recommendation I can give is get extra leg room if you can, and once you get through security stock up hugely with snacks. Then more snacks. Ipad and headphones. Millions of wet wipes and ziploc bags for dirty stuff.

adulthumanwolf Wed 13-Mar-19 14:09:50

(And drink as much wine as you can when you're on board)

Ricekrispie22 Wed 13-Mar-19 19:25:44

For the 8yo
Where's Wally? book
(For a girl) Finger knitting, French knitting or Pom Pom making kit www.crafts4kids.co.uk/sewing-kits-for-kids/knitting-for-kids/buttonbag-finger-knitting-kit
Foil scratch art kits are allowed on the plane, despite having the sharp metal scraping tool. My DD loves them. www.crafts4kids.co.uk/djeco-toys-arts-and-crafts/djeco-foil-art-scratch-art-kits/the-beauties-ball-djeco-scratch-cards You can get ones which might appeal to boys, too.
Word searches
Small Addictaball maze
Rush Hour game (they make a travel edition).
Spirograph
Book of card tricks and a deck of cards

For the 3yo:
Melissa and Doug reusable sticker pad (I’ve seen them recently in Morrisons)
This mosaic kit www.argos.co.uk/product/7236530
Lacing cards www.elc.co.uk/paper-activity-books-and-stickers/sew-and-lace-cards/146535.html
Plasticine BaSix
Usborne 1001 things to spot

DaisyEmma Wed 13-Mar-19 20:53:39

This is brilliant!! Thank you so much. The suggestions are great. The threading thing great, and the mosaic thing I think both my kids would love actually....the zip lock bags and wine also excellent suggestions, thank you!!!

SJane48S Thu 14-Mar-19 14:17:59

All of the above & maybe a tamagotchi for the 8 year old & a change of clothes for the 3 year old (when my DD was small she regularly split drink over herself wriggling around in plane seats and a sticky & a bit smelly kid sitting next to you is a right pain the arse!)

SnailorSwift Thu 14-Mar-19 14:30:09

Super suggestions above. For DS (6) I stuck a piece of Lego baseboard into the lid of a small tin box (lunchbox would work too - something with a hinged lid so it stays together) and filled it with Lego for a little on-the-go set.

Did the same with duplo when he was smaller.

DaisyEmma Sat 16-Mar-19 18:18:35

Great ideas thank you so much! I wouldn't have thought of the change of clothes, such a good point! My eldest is really into Lego so will def do that! Thanks again everyone ❤️

Stompythedinosaur Thu 21-Mar-19 16:03:58

Kid's headphones, travel pillow, sick bags and calpol satchets.

Stompythedinosaur Thu 21-Mar-19 16:04:38

Plus sucky sweets for take off and landing.

Justtrying Thu 21-Mar-19 16:09:34

Given its long haul, there will be seat back TV/games.

iPad with downloaded favourites. Snacks and wet wipes. PJ's,blanket and teddy so they can snuggle down and sleep.
Sticker books are always a favourite with DD. Plus a good book.
As a mum I just need my kindle. Plus plenty of water bought airside incase if a delay in the in-flight service.

LailaByron Thu 21-Mar-19 16:12:11

Ear plugs! 😂

needsleepzzz Thu 21-Mar-19 16:15:35

Calpol, snacks snacks and more snacks. Crayola magic pens and paper and sticker book for youngest. Tablet with as many games/programmes as it will hold :-D

DailyMailFuckRightOff Thu 21-Mar-19 16:17:05

1. All the snacks
2. Water, all the water, bought after security (they never give enough on the plane)
3. Extra legroom
4. Wet wipes and tissues
5. Nappy bags or plastic bags for rubbish - so much rubbish.
6. Well charged tablets to be used tactically with programmes downloaded and checked beforehand.
7. Lip balm for them and something to moistures their faces - my son always says his nose hurts so I have to basically moisturise around his nostrils.

You need a good ‘schedule’ of eating, play, taking a walk to the toilet and then sleeping.

WinterHeatWave Thu 21-Mar-19 16:19:25

Allow unlimited screen time on the seat back entertainment..... The 3 year old may struggle, but the bigger one should be Ok.
Yes to spare clothes, Calpol sachets, wipes. Snacks, snacks and snacks!

LoopyLu2019 Thu 21-Mar-19 16:19:52

're water you can take empty bottles through security to fill (there are normally dispensers) rather than paying the earth in the terminal

Brown76 Thu 21-Mar-19 16:29:25

Notepad and colouring pencils (noughts and crosses, drawing) little tin of small toys from home eg play mobil people, small cars, superzings, peppa pig characters) for 3 year old, can make up stories. Small books. For snacks I take some small Tupperware pots so I can dole out small portions of snacks.

BeanCalledPickle Thu 21-Mar-19 22:05:00

We went to Thailand via Singapore with Singapore airlines. Kids are nearly 4 and 6. We had inflatable foot rests which made the world of difference as they could curl up properly. Seat back tv may not work; my small one could get the angle right as you need to look at it face on. Eldest was sick- take many extra clothes!

Mixingitall Thu 21-Mar-19 22:14:32

On long haul flights we give our dc’s something every hour, start with colouring thinks, then stickers, a new book for the 8 year old, painting with the water colour brush, plasticine, then they’ll eat and perhaps watch a film.

TheClitterati Thu 21-Mar-19 22:51:10

My DC have flown long haul several times. They just love being able to watch a screen for hours without me hassling them to do something else grin

TheClitterati Thu 21-Mar-19 22:54:08

Change of clothing for all is a good idea - dd threw up everywhere once. They just pop the seat out and change it, but I didn't fancy another 18 hours covered in puke.

Each child takes their own backpack with change of clothes, toys etc.

DaisyEmma Sat 23-Mar-19 10:58:57

Thank you so much! Some vital points here that I definitely wouldn't have thought of...much appreciated thank you everyone 👍❤️🍷🤪

Frangipane Sat 23-Mar-19 11:08:24

Yep, came on to say change of clothes in case of accidents/vomit but I see many have beaten me to it!

I've flown to Australia twice with small children. The first flight, they were aged 2 to 6 and the flight left at 10pm, obviously well past their bedtime. Then was then about 2 hours of pure overexcitement what with the flight, the seats, the food, the screens, before I could get them to go to sleep. My eldest, not a noted bed wetter, then wet himself requiring new clothes and a new seat. The next time we went, we had another child, then aged 4, and it turned out he had airsickness but only when landing in tropical conditions. We weren't prepared with a change of clothes and he had to wear adult sized pjs, donated to us by the flight attendants, while we searched the whole of Singapore airport for an outlet selling children's clothes. That was the most expensive pair of jeans and t shirt I ever bought a child!

I would also recommend taking as much food you know your children will like as you can. Mine all hated the airline food and a long haul flight is a long time to go without food.

jackparlabane Sat 23-Mar-19 11:21:54

Good ideas here (will be taking my 10yo and 6yo long haul by myself soon...)

I'm thinking empty water bottles to fill after security, a couple new books each, change of clothes each, 2 Kindle tablets with charger cables, charger cable for my phone, one of those kids puzzle compendium books, loads of sweets, cakes and bread snacks, toothbrushes and a small toothpaste (we'll land about 1am our time), neck pillows as we already own them, comfy blanket each and as many cuddly toys as will fit in the kids' backpacks.

So far, they think it will be great, being allowed to watch telly and play on tablets for as long as they want without being told to do something else. I'm sure the reality won't be so great...

WinterHeatWave Sat 23-Mar-19 22:44:50

Jack if you seriously subscribe endless screens, it will be fine. I do 18 hrs door to door with my 2 on my own once, maybe twice a year. It usually involves a flight at 3am too. I enforce a small amount of sleep for my oldest, otherwise he would attempt to pull an all nighter (his record is 3 hrs sleep in 48hrs), but other than that just let them get on with it.
I find there are loads of carbs in the meals (bread roll, crackers, little pretzel snack packs etc), so wouldn't actually want more.
Enjoy the holiday at the other end!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in