Talk

Advanced search

Sri Lanka - Ella/Nuwara Eliya/Kandy

(7 Posts)
Sortingfinances Sun 03-Mar-19 11:30:34

Hi
We have 3 nights to share between these places.
Would you do 1 night each, or skip one?
Kandy makes most sense for last night as next day we need to get to Colombo and fly home.
Suggestions and 'must do's appreciated.
We will be travelling by train.
Currently
Day 1 Arugum bay to Ella (bus)
Day 2 day in Ella
Day 3 am Ella to Kandy (train)
Day 4 am in Kandy, pm train to Colombo
Thanks!!

OP’s posts: |
OKhitmewithit Sun 03-Mar-19 13:24:37

Kandy has the temple of the tooth and definitely worth a visit. What are your plans in Ella? We skipped it but did a tea plantation at another time.

notevenamum1 Sun 03-Mar-19 13:28:41

Ella was our favourite!!! And we did most of south Sri Lanka. Would do 3 nights there if you could!! Would defs skip Nuwara Eliya - it’s basicallt a mini Britain so you wouldn’t be missing much. The train from Ella to Kandy is so sceneic and beautiful but it’s long! We did the train from Ella to Nuwara and a driver took us from there to Kandy.

EnormousDormouse Sun 03-Mar-19 13:40:25

We did 1 night in Kandy (you don't need any longer and I'd skip Kandy if you skip any- the temple of the Tooth Relic is lovely but we found the city itself a bit meh)
Then drove to Nurwara Eliya through the tea plantations - stunning. We did a plantation tour and chilled out at a villa in the middle of tea fields.
We then got the train down to Ella. Get your tickets in advance and pay for good ones - I could not have coped with standing crammed in for 3 plus hours.
Ella is on the backpack trail and is full of young travellers, bars and cheap food. Really enjoyed it. We stayed in a homestay just out of town surrounded by trees and monkeys. It was a definite highlight. We then drove down to Udawalawe.

Sortingfinances Sun 03-Mar-19 16:06:54

Wow, thanks! I wasn't sure if id get many replies.
Plans for Ella - hike or two (which I understand will take us through tea plantations). See 9 arch bridge.
3 kids 9+ and seasoned walkers.
We'll be essentially making our way home, and originally I was going to skip this area completely. Rest of trip is cultural triangle, trincomlee area, Arugum Bay so makes sense to leave this way and do the amazing train rides.
Plane leaves at 9pm hence Kandy for the last night as an easy hop back.

OP’s posts: |
OKhitmewithit Sun 03-Mar-19 20:35:34

The train is superb, stunning scenery.

I agree the town of Kandy is meh, but the Temple of the Tooth is such an important place, we joined the pilgrims and the atmosphere was wonderful.

areyoubeingserviced Thu 21-Mar-19 22:23:25

Op, just a bit of advice. Don’t buy anything from the herb gardens in Kandy. They are usually a scam

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in