Talk

Advanced search

New York - Winter Hotel (and Experiences)

(11 Posts)
HeyDelRey Sat 02-Mar-19 15:20:54

We have booked to go to New York for five days in December in the week before Christmas, and I am looking for recommendations for a good hotel - and maybe things to do.

So far, I have: Dyker Heights lights, ice skating & Central Park, a tower (e.g. Empire State, or the one behind that means you get the Empire State in the view), the Tenement Museum, NY Library, some shopping and displays (e.g. Macys), Statue of Liberty / river cruise. Is there anything else Christmassy we should do? I will make sure we take ski coats for the cruise - used to live in Maine briefly so I know about the wind chill...

It will be me, dh, and children aged 15, 13 and 9 - one thing I am stuck on is a hotel, though. Our budget is max 5k for two rooms for the 5 days, but I'm not sure which area to stay in, and also which hotel. Any recommendations would be lovely. Ideally, it will have a bar with a view so dh and I can go up briefly once dcs are settled in for the night.

I have found so many hotels that looked great but had either tiddly rooms or see-through bathroom doors / clear glass panel showers in the middle of the room... why is that a thing? Surely they realise that people other than couples sometimes rent rooms? Although I've been married for 20 years, I do not want to view dh having a poo, and my teens can't shower in view of their siblings!

OP’s posts: |
DreamingofSunshine Sat 02-Mar-19 23:33:21

I'd suggest going up the rockerfeller and you can watch the ice skating there too. The Christmas spectacular at the radio city music Hall is great too.

Hotel wise, the freehand is in the flatiron District and has bunk bed rooms, could work for your DC? Bathrooms are fully enclosed and there's a rooftop bar! I'm with you on the hatred of glass bathrooms. We stayed in a very trendy boutique hotel in miami where the bathroom was separated by a shower curtain- DH and I agreed to use the bathrooms in the lobby where possible!

DoorbellsSleighbellsSchnitzel Sat 02-Mar-19 23:39:17

Yes definitely go to the Radio City Christmas Spectacular... We went last year and it really was spectacular! Great views from the whole theatre, we were up in the third tier circle towards the back and it was perfect.

And be prepared for just how busy it'll be... I'd been to New York a few times before, but never around Christmas, and it was like nothing I've ever encountered!!

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 03-Mar-19 09:39:28

I would second seeing the Rockettes dance at the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.

Hotels for five in NYC can be tricky to find but it can be done. You may want to look at the Affinia or a suite based hotel chain like the Doubletree suites or Hampton Inn. Hampton inns often include breakfast as part of the room rate.

HeyDelRey Sun 03-Mar-19 11:00:05

Ooh, lovely - thank you. I was looking at hiring a flat, but it would be a shame not to go out. Although eldest will be nearly 16, I don't feel comfy allowing her to babysit the others alone in a busy city. Will look into Radio City!

Lungelady Sun 03-Mar-19 11:04:30

Hotel rooms are small in NYC!
We love the Library hotel...v close to NY library and Grand Central.

HeyDelRey Sun 03-Mar-19 13:41:21

They really are - the Freehand looks great, but to have two rooms with space to swing a kitten (let alone a whole cat), we are over budget, unfortunately.

Has anyone ever stayed in the Hugo? I'll take a look at the Library...

ZaraW Mon 04-Mar-19 17:33:24

The Marlton Hotel in Greenwich Village is my favourite hotel. Has an interesting history. Mickey Rourke used to live there when it was a boarding house.

ZaraW Mon 04-Mar-19 17:35:42

www-remodelista-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.remodelista.com/posts/marlton-hotel-in-greenwich-village-sean-macpherson/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.remodelista.com%2Fposts%2Fmarlton-hotel-in-greenwich-village-sean-macpherson%2F

DaisyDando Mon 04-Mar-19 17:37:54

I really, really loved the Gramercy Park Hotel. That was in my early thirties though and I liked the bar particularly. I’ve stayed in The London which was a handy location. Have also stayed in great budget hotels but the rooms are pretty small. Have stayed over Christmas and it was fine but chilly. Stayed in February and could barely walk for the snow. Have fun!

Janus Mon 04-Mar-19 17:44:39

We went for Christmas 2 years ago with 4 kids. We stayed in the Alconquin (oldest hotel in NY I think?) and left our 18 year old in charge while we nipped to their hotel bar!! It’s great, just off 5th Avenue. Husband paid so sorry don’t know the price but won’t be cheap!! Great location, proper doors and interconnecting rooms (hard to find!). Fantastic diner next door for breakfast, we still talk about their breakfasts!! Not worth paying for breakfast in hotel, about 5 times the cost and very average.
I can’t even begin to say how busy NY was!! We booked to see a basketball game (kids bloody loved it!), a show and the twin towers along with all that you mention.
Ice skating in Bryant Park was slightly less manic than Rockerfellers, still mad though!
Walk the High Line even in December is still good, loved looking in all the apartments!
My kids loved Juniors in Times Square for legendary cheesecake, I wasn’t that fussed!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in