Talk

Advanced search

Long-ish haul for a week in September. Any recommendations?

(6 Posts)
Letsnotargue Mon 25-Feb-19 08:22:57

We’re only looking at a week due to leave restrictions etc. Saw some good deals for Mauritius but we like snorkelling / diving and the water isn’t really warm enough at that time of year. It’s not worth going too far for a week so South Pacific is out. Budget up to £1500 but could be a bit flexible.

Any recommendations?

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Tue 26-Feb-19 00:05:21

Take a wet suit?

Mexico or anywhere in the Caribbean but it’s hurricane season. It’s cheaper than high season as a result. However you could get to the BVIs or somewhere really decent for snorkelling in the cheaper season. Longer haul than this might blow the budget. The Maldives? Kenya? Egypt?

SJane48S Tue 26-Feb-19 08:55:10

You don’t say how many of you are going but I’m guessing if the budget is £1.5k & you’re looking at long haul that it’s just 2 of you? If you like diving & snorkelling and just have a week, have you looked at the Middle East? Oman is expensive but snorkelling & diving off the coast of Muscat is good & Muscat is an interesting city which has retained a lot of its history unlike the likes of Dubai. I’ve just looked at Kayak & there are numerous good hotels later in September (when the weather would be less intense 30/31 degrees) with flights included in the £6-900 per person range. TripAdvisor has a page on Snorkelling & Diving in Muscat with diving companies/tours. If it’s more than 2 of you, not long haul but I’ve heard Cyprus has decent snorkelling/diving so might be worth a look?

SJane48S Tue 26-Feb-19 09:53:39

divemagazine.co.uk/travel/6506-diving-muscat

BubblesBuddy Tue 26-Feb-19 11:36:22

I assumed £1500 each if Mauritius was on the agenda! £750 each will be limiting.

SJane48S Tue 26-Feb-19 13:10:46

Agreed! You can get a deal to Mauritius from about £750 including flights in Sept If you’re happy with 3* options but as the OP has also mentioned the South Pacific I’d guess you are right at it being per person. How about Jordan as another option? I’ve not been but supposedly it’s good for diving? I’m not sure I’d want to go anywhere where it’s hurricane season. Odds are that you’d be fine but..

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in