Talk

Advanced search

Food for 15 month old on flight to Oz

(25 Posts)
kemery14 Mon 18-Feb-19 07:47:50

Hi, we're flying to Oz in April
With a 15 month and a 5 year old. The five year old gets meals as we pay for his seat, but our daughter will get nothing!
What options would
You suggest for food for her? We are only stopping in Singapore for a couple of hours.
Has anyone done this before? She can't eat crisps for 24 hours 😂

Last time we flew long haul our son was only five months and not weaned so super easy!

OP’s posts: |
Hollowvictory Mon 18-Feb-19 07:49:03

Take food with you in a cool bag and give them some of yours to chew eg bread.

kaytee87 Mon 18-Feb-19 07:49:12

Will there not be food you can buy on board?

kaytee87 Mon 18-Feb-19 07:49:40

Yes to sharing your food

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Mon 18-Feb-19 07:50:37

Easy!

Sandwiches, cold pasta, fruit, cheese, crackers, yoghurts, cereal, biscuits, rice cakes, salad bits.

Whereareyouspot Mon 18-Feb-19 07:51:50

Is this really a question?
Take what you normally feed her.

Pouches, snacks and fruit, breadsticks.
And she can share your food

It’s not complicated is it?

And why should an airline provide food for someone who isn’t paying for a seat.

DreamingofSunshine Mon 18-Feb-19 07:52:03

Assuming no allergies?

Sandwiches, cubes of cheese, rice cakes, oatcakes, fruit, carrot sticks and hummus.

I quite like buying fruit and carrots from Boots as a meal deal. You could also order a toddler meal and collect at boots in the departure lounge to circumvent the liquids allowance?

LambChopsMcGee Mon 18-Feb-19 07:53:30

Who are you flying with? Our DD got food on Singapore airlines even when she was traveling on my lap. Maybe check with the airline?
We also took baby biscuits and cold roast chicken in case she didn't like the food.

Hollowvictory Mon 18-Feb-19 07:54:07

I don't understand why they are only allowed crisps 😳

EatToTheBeet Mon 18-Feb-19 07:54:58

I’ve done this s loads of times as one of mine has anaphylaxis.

If you freeze one of those pouch yogurts you can usually get it through the scanners.

Then I just take an ordinary packed lunch. Plenty of fruit.

They don’t eat as much as they would on an ordinary day as they aren’t moving.

kaytees Mon 18-Feb-19 07:58:42

Similar to @LambChopsMcGee , my son was offered baby food when he was 5 months and didn't have his own seat (also with Singapore). I assume most airlines will offer the same?

kaytee87 Mon 18-Feb-19 07:58:50

Security should let you take food/drinks for the toddler through.

I was questioned once as to whether the plain yoghurt I was bringing was for my then 13mo as the yoghurts they had on the list of 'acceptable items' were petit filous etc. 🙈

kemery14 Mon 18-Feb-19 07:58:58

Thanks all.
I wasn't suggesting the airline should provide food for her but the logistics of taking food for 24 hours for a baby along with everything else was my question. She doesn't eat pouches anymore so that's not really an option.
We're flying BA so there may be an option to purchase a child meal for her - good idea to contact them - thanks.
Hadn't thought of the cool box option for some proper meals rather than snacks etc.

Obviously happy to share our meals with her but they are not always child friendly flavours and I want her to eat more than bread and those pretzel freebies you get with drinks.

Thanks all for your suggestions so far. Hard to think outside the box when it's something I've not done before and 24 hours is a long time

Hollowvictory Mon 18-Feb-19 08:03:03

Don't give a 15th month those salty pretzels 😳 just take some food, give them some of yours, but a cheese sandwich at the airport, give them some of the 5 year olds etc.

2rach Mon 18-Feb-19 08:07:02

I know you said she doesn't have pouches any more but is that because she doesn't like them or just grown out of them? We used them for travel way longer than they had them at home. Mine eat a lot on planes as it's something to do so I'd take loads of healthy snacks.

Longdistance Mon 18-Feb-19 08:18:58

Get food at the airport. Boots have sandwiches, Goodies snacks, fruit etc.
Call the airline to see if they’d add an extra child’s meal. Though from past experience with BA, that might be tricky.
When I went from Oz back to UK I couldn’t stand the thought of dd2 being on my lap all the way, and bought her a seat. Then again I was the only adult with two toddlers.

EssentialHummus Mon 18-Feb-19 08:19:06

Take a porridge pot and ask for hot water on the flight? Then pasta, omelette, cheese cubes, veg sticks if they like them, bits of chicken, yogurt.

And ALL the rice cakes grin.

kemery14 Mon 18-Feb-19 08:48:43

Some great ideas thanks.
Does anyone know if the airline will heat up food for babies, home made in pot type foods rather than pouches and milk type foods?

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 18-Feb-19 09:25:46

Do not rely at all on the airline to provide re foodstuffs for your youngest child even if you pre order such a thing.

I would be very careful re them heating up food because it could well come back far too hot for your child to eat. Some of the crew may well not want to do this.

LambChopsMcGee Mon 18-Feb-19 15:52:43

Get in touch with BA on twitter, maybe. They were v good at answering questions when I flew with them last summer. Really good customer service.

PenguinPandas Tue 19-Feb-19 12:20:19

We flew BA to Oz in August but older children. Don't think you could buy food on board but we got loads of food, more than we needed. Think you have to pre select the food type you want e.g. child, veg online. I think there was 4 or 5 meals plus you can get food at both airports. We didn't get long at Singapore but long enough to grab a snack was 45 minutes. You could also go to back of aircraft if needed extra drinks etc which were free.

PenguinPandas Tue 19-Feb-19 12:23:25

I am not sure you would get homemade food through airport security, Singapore was chucking out some food and not sure it would pass UK checks either though could be wrong.

Owlettele Tue 19-Feb-19 12:24:07

Singapore airlines were fab when we flew with 4 year old and 14 month old. We took cool bag for youngest with food as he has allergies anyway so need to be careful. But between meals you can request crisps sandwiches cheese and biscuits etc which means you could order and hand on to them til meal time . They were fab with the kids and tried to get us anything they needed. Just a small tip you may want to book children's meal for 5 yr old. On way out we didn't realise you had to book these and eldest wasn't keen on adult options. Way home was much better. Particularly the 'breakfast' meal.

TheSandgroper Sat 23-Feb-19 09:02:47

I used this post to organize myself. nursenaomi.com/2013/11/07/travelling-with-food-intolerances-international-flights/ I used a soft coolbag with a wide mouthed plastic jar filled with ice cubes. I emptied the ice out when told to then went to the first bar I saw once inside and asked for a fill. I asked again at the next airport and was never knocked back. No one got sick so I count that as a success.

mustdrinkwaternotwine Sun 24-Feb-19 18:14:40

Take food for the 5yo too. They are unlikely to serve food when he is hungry, food service can get interrupted if there is turbulence or an emergency & he may not like it.
I'd allow time to stock up airside in Boots at whatever airport you're flying from.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in