Talk

Advanced search

Tips for a long flight with 6 and 8yo dds

(15 Posts)
Stompythedinosaur Sat 09-Feb-19 16:58:21

We are heading to Costa Rica via Miami in May, it's much the longest flights we've done with the dc. They are quite good travellers, but I'm looking for any tips about making the trip more comfortable/bearable for them (and us!).

We have the longest leg of the journey overnight both ways, so keen for tips to make it comfier for them to sleep, but there will still be a 5 hour ish flight during the daytime and also some waits at the airport.

Both dc have tablets to use (with headphones, of course) and will watch films on the flights, but I think they will need some other activities to keep them entertained.

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Sat 09-Feb-19 17:52:51

check with your airline to see if they allow it, but i saw a few kids on the last flight i was on with these and so they could use the seat as a bed. they blew it up with a foot pump.

you probably already have, but download some games on your tablet, and don't let them play on them (at all) until you have taken off. that way, it will be a brand new game they haven't played on before.

pack some post it notes, and you can play 'guess what.' just write down the name of an animal or an object on a post it note, and place it on the other person's head. they do the same to you, and you take it in turns trying to guess what you are with yes/no answers.

all the best x

Stompythedinosaur Sat 09-Feb-19 18:28:57

Thanks, the foot rest look good! I appreciate the tip.

Post it notes are a fab idea too.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 09-Feb-19 19:24:08

Would check with the airlines re the footrest before purchasing; many of them have actually banned such from being used on their aircraft for access and safety reasons. I would also not rely on the airline to fully provide re foodstuffs; take what they like for the initial leg of the journey. Leave all uneaten fruit if taken along behind on the aircraft.

How long is your layover in Miami?.

Ricekrispie22 Sat 09-Feb-19 19:56:46

We take Bach Rescue Night on the plane. www.boots.com/bach-rescue-night-dropper-10ml-10077391

Jewellery making kits
Colouring books
Wordsearches
Search and find books e.g. Where’s The Unicorn?
French knitting
My Dd took this with us on holiday last summer www.mulberrybush.co.uk/first-sewing
We’ve also taken scratch art kits on the plane www.crafts4kids.co.uk/crafts-for-kids/foil-and-scratch-art/melissa-and-doug-rainbow-scratch-art
Top Trumps - we got the Roald Dahl set last year
Pass The Pigs

Stompythedinosaur Sun 10-Feb-19 14:50:09

Does the rescue remedy help them sleep?

Thanks for the great ideas about activities.

I will check about whether the foot rest are allowed - we have one stint on BA and another on American Airlines.

MrsFezziwig Sun 10-Feb-19 14:54:51

The family in front of me on long haul last month had taken their kids’ usual pillows and sleeping bags. Bit bulky but seemed to work pretty well.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 10-Feb-19 16:00:27

I would think that neither will let you use the footrests, particularly BA.

WinterHeatWave Sun 10-Feb-19 16:06:41

Screens and food, food and screens.
Gets mine through frequent travel.

Try and find some space at Miami. Playground if there is one, otherwise an empty gate and get them doing high knee running on the spot, jumping jacks, butt kicks etc.

Fourmagpies Sun 10-Feb-19 16:40:48

My Dsis lives in Australia so we've done long haul several times with the kids. Honestly they pretty much entertain themselves. We do take tablets, one DS watches films for most of the flight and the other listens to music. I do pack some extra snacks though just in case the food isn't great. They usually manage to get comfy with pillows and blankets that are available on the flight. Saves leaving a neck pillow on the back of a loo door before even getting on a flight!

Stompythedinosaur Sun 10-Feb-19 17:23:00

My internet search tells me American Airlines accept the footrests but BA don't, so I think they are out. The dc will probably manage to get comfy, they are quite hardy travellers. Do you think it is safe to assume that a pillow/blanket will be provided?

Sounds like screens are the main way forward!

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 10-Feb-19 17:37:04

You will get a pillow and blanket on the BA flight out to Miami; not so sure about the part of the journey that uses AA.

How long do you have in Miami as a stopover before the next leg of your journey?.

Stompythedinosaur Sun 10-Feb-19 18:50:46

Thank you!

We have about 3 hours in Miami airport. I actually wonder how much time we will have as the only time I've transferred there (which was pre-kids) passport control took about 2 hours to get through.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 10-Feb-19 20:22:37

It should hopefully be enough time particularly if your inbound flight is on time. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Do not forget that the clock will start ticking on you as soon as your inbound plane lands on the runway at Miami. I do not think you will have much spare time once you clear immigration and customs and at Miami Do you already know which terminal your onward flight to Costa Rica will depart from?. Last time I was there the British Airways flight I was on arrived into terminal E which is the one where you take the train into arrivals.

Stompythedinosaur Mon 11-Feb-19 01:02:49

I don't, but I'll see if I can find out before we go.

Thanks for the tips!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in