Talk

Advanced search

Taking child on holiday without mother

(7 Posts)
Jwrorro Thu 07-Feb-19 09:08:02

Hi, hoping for some opinions on a father taking their 16 month child on holidays without her mother.

I am an Australian now living with my wife and amazing daughter in the UK. My best friend is getting married back in Australia start of December and am hoping to go back, for a week or two, for the wedding. Unfortunately mother being a school teacher and not long off maternity leave will not be able to take any holidays during the school term.

I am considering the idea of taking my DD with me on the trip. Where we’ll be staying with my parents (DD Australian Grandparents) the whole time so there will be no shortage of help or support and maybe the only chance for her to meet her great grandparents.

My wife doesn’t think that a child should be away from its mother for take long and doesn’t think it is fair on DD.

I understand that a trip like this with two parents let alone one is a momentous task but will not be DD first time on a plane and think it will be manageable.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

OP’s posts: |
AnxiousMcAnxiousFace Thu 07-Feb-19 09:14:54

If the mother doesn’t think it should happen then it shouldn’t happen. I don’t know what a bunch of strangers on the internet potentially saying it’s ok will do.

When my children were 16 months they would have had to prize her from my cold dead fingers to take her anywhere for any number of days. Let alone for over a week across the other side of the world.

AnxiousMcAnxiousFace Thu 07-Feb-19 09:15:34

In fact. They would still have to do that with my 6 year old for over a week so very far away.

Gumbo Thu 07-Feb-19 09:23:04

I don't see a problem with it all, just because you're not female doesn't mean you're not as capable as looking after your DC as your wife is.

Caveat - My DH is a SAHD and I went back to work when my DC was 4mo - they often used to go to friends for a night or two (or more) right from the start, so my view may be slightly different from others...

Also, I took my 14-week old baby alone to another country for 10 days, and DH didn't complain about that, so I'd extend the same courtesy to him.

yoohooitsme Thu 07-Feb-19 09:24:44

It sounds like there’s no practical barriers and it would be nice for you and the relatives BUT the natural pattern of raising a baby IMO can not be underestimated here.

Would BABY benefit more from international travel and meeting distant relatives (actual strangers at this point) or staying home in as close to normal surroundings and routines as possible.

I’d recommend Save such adventures for teen years unless travelling as a family or until child can actually opt in.

Karigan195 Thu 07-Feb-19 09:28:11

I think practically daughter will be fine but it rather depends on your individual circumstances such as how dependant on mum she is. That can only be determined by the two of you.

I took my son across Europe to see family at an early age by myself. He was 6 months. The actual logistics aren’t an issue unless breastfeeding etc is involved it’s just mentally ow mum and daughter will cope.

BobLemon Thu 07-Feb-19 09:28:57

Sounds like a lovely trip! Very sweet if her great grandparents get to meet her.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in