Talk

Advanced search

Dubai or Abu Dhabi

(24 Posts)
Joneseygirl77 Mon 04-Feb-19 08:14:20

We’re looking to go away for a week at October half term and ideally want guaranteed sunshine hence looking at these destinations.
We’ve never been to UEA before so would like some suggestions for good family hotels and the best locations to stay in both countries please. It’ll be myself, DH and DC.
Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Swiftier Mon 04-Feb-19 14:50:12

What sort of things do you want to do while you’re there? And what made you keen on those two locations (asking as there are other places with good weather at that time of year that are just as accessible).

Banjax Mon 04-Feb-19 14:52:08

Well the corniche beach in abu shabu is a nice enough bech but honestly its all a soulless hole and youd be better off going somewhere more interesting!

donajimena Mon 04-Feb-19 14:52:47

Brace yourself OP. wink

Honeyroar Mon 04-Feb-19 14:58:03

Have a look at Doha or Muscat. They're both nicer.

bellsbuss Mon 04-Feb-19 15:03:48

Abu Dhabi is quieter than Dubai, I think I would go to Dubai if you're going with your children as I think there's more to do there though I haven't been to Abu for a few years now. I don't know why people who have never been to the UAE slate it. We've had some lovely family holidays there and our children love it , it's very expensive though so would book HB or AI if you're on a budget. AI in Dubai is far far superior to any other AI I've been on, steak restaurants , fish restaurants , premium branded drinks etc. I wouldn't back to the Atlantis though as it just wasn't worth the money. I've been going for 16 years now so feel free to pm me with any queries

Joneseygirl77 Mon 04-Feb-19 15:10:49

Ha thanks for the warning!

We’ve been away to Southern Europe for past two years and had bad weather. Torrential rain for the majority of the time so I’m after somewhere with a better weather record.

Happy to just relax and use pool/ beach. Not fixed on those locations but keen to avoid Canaries or usual short haul haunts.

Hollowvictory Mon 04-Feb-19 15:13:58

Go in may rather than October for better weather rather if you want to stay in Europe

WinterHeatWave Mon 04-Feb-19 15:14:47

How old are the kids?
Abu Dhabi has a Lego park, and Ferrari world.
Dubai has everything else.

If you just want a beach, and a bit of culture, Muscat is lovely.

October weather is lovely!

HoustonBess Mon 04-Feb-19 15:15:35

Depends how much you want to be arrested by a dictatorial state that uses slave labour, really.

Get yourself a raincoat and go to France or Cornwall.

LadybirdsAreFab Mon 04-Feb-19 15:18:01

October will still be warm. In the 30’s. If you like theme parks and culture then go to AD. They have Warner Bros World, Ferrari World & Yas Water Park. If you find a hotel on Yas Island the tickets are often included. The Louvre is amazing.

Another option is a Costa Cruise. Starts in Dubai, goes to Muscat, Sir Banas Island and Abu Dhabi.

I live in Dubai and have done the cruise, it was fun but won’t be enough time for a theme park in AD.

kindlyplay Mon 04-Feb-19 15:19:06

Depends how much you want to be arrested

Not sure that bits compulsory?

Swiftier Mon 04-Feb-19 15:43:27

So I think October can be a bit of a gamble in parts of Europe. But I really don’t recommend Dubai or Abu Dhabi (and I have actually been....)

It obviously depends on your interests, I would never do an all-inclusive trip as I like to explore a country outside of a hotel complex. I found in both places there are mostly malls, skyscrapers, theme parks and water parks. None of which are what I’m after in a holiday but of course that does work for others.

If it were me and I was looking for nice weather but also a bit more to do/somewhere with a distinctive culture, I would look at Morocco (lots of nice beach areas, good weather in October, easy and cheap to get to) or Muscat as has already been suggested.

SJane45S Tue 05-Feb-19 09:25:41

Just personal preference (& I've lived in Dubai) but agree with Honeyroar, Oman is much much nicer (not been to Qatar). October weather by UK standards will be fine, not the horrible heat of the UAE summer. If you like shops & beaches then go for Dubai - Abu Dhabi is similar but Dubai does this better. It's changed hugely since I lived there (they've pretty much bulldozed down everything I'd remember) and i really don't like it but can see why it would appeal if you just want shopping, sunshine, places to take the kids & good beaches. If you want to see something of the area, take a trip out to Hatta in Dubai or Al Ain if you go to Abu Dhabi. Alternatively go & spend a night or two in Fujeirah (another Emirate which has mountains & beaches & is drivable from Dubai). Managed four years in Dubai without being put in a police cell but would agree that some pretty exploitative practises go on with immigrant labour - some of those big buildings came at a really nasty human cost

Joneseygirl77 Tue 05-Feb-19 10:33:02

Thanks all for the advice.

We have considered Oman but the hotels seem a lot more expensive- if anyone has any recommendations for good family hotels please do say.

I’ve been to Morocco before so keen to try somewhere new. Not bothered about shopping but good beaches and good food appeal plus outdoor activities like the water park will suit DC.

Swiftier Tue 05-Feb-19 10:35:08

Just another thought - Cape Verde?

Stinkytoe Tue 05-Feb-19 10:36:43

Hated Dubai, only time I’ve ever repeatedly had doors shut in my face because I wasn’t my husband

SJane45S Tue 05-Feb-19 11:07:45

Oman will be pricey! Its a great country though if you've got the budget but no, can't recommend anywhere reasonable! You would get a similarish experience in Fujeirah for less dosh - mountains, beaches, mini forts and they've got the oldest mosque in the UAE. It is driveable from Dubai (but a plane would probably be a lot quicker!). We used to stay at the Sandy Beach Hotel which has a little island off it which is lovely to snorkel around and there are lots of water sports (if no water park!). So just a suggestion but maybe a day or two in Dubai and do the kid stuff then chill out in Fujeirah? www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g311321-d634727-Reviews-or5-Sandy_Beach_Hotel_Resort-Fujairah_Emirate_of_Fujairah.html

SJane45S Tue 05-Feb-19 11:09:05

Swiftier, is there anything to do in Cape Verde?! Not been but those I know who have say it's all AI resorts and not much else?

Maryjoyce Tue 05-Feb-19 11:12:44

Wouldn’t go again to either and yes I have been

RebeccaCloud9 Tue 05-Feb-19 11:14:25

We've been to both (without kids). Both were great, hotels were amazing compared to what you'd get in peak school holiday times in Europe. Dubai has more to do with kids but they both have enough to keep you busy (and enough luxury to relax) for a holiday. I would just find the best deal and go with that, let that choose which one you go for. (I'd definitely recommend the Jumeirah chain for top quality hotels, also download the isme Jumeirah app and you'll get some great deals e.g. 2 for 1 meals at the Burj al arab).

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Tue 05-Feb-19 11:21:26

Dunno - maybe this website will help you decide?

Swiftier Tue 05-Feb-19 11:49:53

@SJane45s I haven’t been to Cape Verde but friends have. It depends where you go I believe - each island is a bit different. There are definitely options for independent travellers (not just big hotels) and from what I hear there’s a fair bit of stuff to do - activities like snorkelling, kite surfing etc, it has history (it was a stopping point between Europe and the Americas and was used as such by the slave trade) so there are older towns etc.

noenergy Tue 05-Feb-19 17:27:08

Definitely Dubai, there is much more to do there for kids. We found Abu Dhabi too quiet for our liking.

There are quite a lot of theme parks and water parks in Dubai. And plenty more to do there depending on your kids ages.

The hotels are luxurious and a totally different standard to most hotels in Europe.
I wouldn't go all inclusive as there is so much variety of restaurants to eat, even in the malls.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in