Talk

Advanced search

Virgin holidays - where would you go?

(33 Posts)
User5436477 Sat 02-Feb-19 17:48:53

I’m planning a holiday for next year; around 10 days, May half term or summer holidays. We have £2-3k + £2k virgin holiday vouchers so total £4-5 k for 2 adults, 1 child.
Virgin is mostly focused on USA and Caribbean but I’d rather not go there. H suggested Mexico. We went backpacking round Yukaton when we were young and kid-free and absolutely loved it, but I think a huge AI resort would be completely different and maybe disappointing?
I was thinking Asia. We’ve only been to Hong Kong which seemed very kid friendly. I would love to go to Singapore but not sure our budget would stretch. Thailand seems cheaper but maybe not as nice?
The other option would be an Easter ski trip to Whistler.
Any advice?? smile

OP’s posts: |
Hollowvictory Sat 02-Feb-19 17:52:23

mexico is fantastic with kids. Why woukd you not leave the hotel? Snorkeling with turtles, diving, zip wiring through the jungle etcetc

User5436477 Sat 02-Feb-19 17:56:27

I would want to do all that stuff so seems a waste to pay a lot for AI if you are never in the hotel. Also kid will be 6 so maybe a bit too young for a lot of stuff? Or maybe not. An ready to be told I’m wrong grin

chuffnstuff Sat 02-Feb-19 17:58:50

I agree Mexico is fantastic. Hard Rock Hotel in Riviera Maya would be a big hit with the kids. Loads of beach activities too, plus the water parks.

Hollowvictory Sat 02-Feb-19 18:05:15

You would not be never in the hotel. You would enjoy the all inclusive facilities, kids club, pools, beaches etc and have days out. I've also been to America, Caribbean, Mauritius with virgin all good for kids. I do think Singapore would be great too

User5436477 Sat 02-Feb-19 18:13:42

Definitely not ruling Mexico out. I’ll have a look at HArd Rock. Any other child friendly hotel reccs? Pref around PdC rather than Cancun.
Ooh Mauritius. I’d not thought about there grin

Hollowvictory Sat 02-Feb-19 18:14:25

Riviera Maya is the place to look at in Mexico.

JazzyBBG Sun 03-Feb-19 08:52:41

Well I've just booked St Lucia with Virgin and I intend to do plenty there - the Pitons, waterfalls, helicopter tour...

There is also tonnes to do in Barbados and Jamaica so I would take a proper look at those, they are a lot more than a beach holiday!

JazzyBBG Sun 03-Feb-19 08:54:05

But alternatively I'd definitely do Canada...

Hollowvictory Sun 03-Feb-19 09:15:11

I've done St Lucia with virgin plus antigua, Barbados, Grenada. Lots to do at all but your budget doesn't go as far as with Mexico or Mauritius.
@JazzyBBG St Lucia highlights were whale watching and trip to the Grenadines, the best day trip I've ever done. Fly to the Grenadines in tiny plane and get a catamaran around the islands. Fabulous. Stops at palm island (google it) and others.

JazzyBBG Sun 03-Feb-19 09:22:04

@Hollowvictory ooh I'd heard about the whale watching too - any idea on cost for that and the helicopter?

Hollowvictory Sun 03-Feb-19 09:26:28

No idea I'm afraid on costs.

User5436477 Sun 03-Feb-19 10:11:59

I don’t think our budget stretches to St Lucia in school holidays, sadly. We could probably afford Barbados but we went a couple of years ago so fancy somewhere different.

I love Mexico so not discounting it but think we are leaning towards Asia as we have not seen much of it, and for the food. Any suggestions?

User5436477 Sun 03-Feb-19 10:13:59

I’ve also ruled out Whistler when I saw 5 days of kids ski school was over $1000 😮

JazzyBBG Sun 03-Feb-19 10:57:33

What about the rockies?

Ps Caribbean has come down a lot you may be surprised, we haven't been for 5 years due to cost but seems to be falling.

littlecloudling Sun 03-Feb-19 11:12:02

I would go to Banff - Fairmont hotel looks gorgeous overlooking the lake

Swiftier Sun 03-Feb-19 11:45:12

Not sure what your interests are, but if you’re leaning towards Asia, but why do you think Thailand wouldn’t be ‘as nice’ as Singapore? Singapore is a modern, fairly uninteresting city state with limited cultural interest IMO. Thailand is a beautiful country with culture, temples, stunning beaches, diving and snorkelling, great food....Would definitely go there rather than Singapore! Japan is very safe and family friendly and an amazing place but your budget won’t go as far there as Thailand.
Can you use the vouchers for flights and then put the rest of your money towards booking your own hotels so you’re not restricted to a package? IMO you can’t really experience a country through a few day trips from a resort.

SJane45S Sun 03-Feb-19 13:04:49

2nd Swiftier - been a long time since I've been there but Singapore is really built up & though there were some interesting bits, it was pretty easily the most boring place we stayed on a multi destination trip!

Hollowvictory Sun 03-Feb-19 16:45:28

With virgin you can stay in multiple hotels it does not mean you can only stay in one. They have loads of hotels in all different places 8n Thailand. A package just means you've booked more than one element through one provider eg flight and hotel. You are then coveted by abta which you are not otherwise

User5436477 Sun 03-Feb-19 16:55:02

Thanks for all the ideas.
Will check out Caribbean and other ski resorts in Canada. The Fairmont does look amazing!
Everywhere has culture, whether it’s interesting depends on what you like. We have no interest in temples or similar and our kid is too small for diving or snorkelling. We like big modern cities and want really good food, interesting, child friendly parks/museums, ideally water parks and something active like hiking or water sports like SUP or kayaking that we could do with our little boy.
I think parts of Thailand have quite a sleazy reputatation and I knew someone who was murdered there on holiday. That could happen anywhere but still puts me off a bit. It does look beautiful and interesting though so not ruling out completely.
I’d love to go to Japan. If we could afford it that would be my first choice.
Vouchers are for virgin holidays so we have to get a package but the limitation is probably a good thing because I can’t even make a decision about destination or type of holiday we want.

User5436477 Sun 03-Feb-19 16:58:45

Hollow
That’s true and a package is easier and will probably be cheaper for us than booking independently too.

Myshinynewname Sun 03-Feb-19 17:04:15

You can use the voucher to book flight and car or flight and first hotel, then book subsequent bits separately if travelling around.

Swiftier Sun 03-Feb-19 18:09:56

I think what I mean when I say Singapore has limited cultural interest is that it’s not very unique. It has lots of similar shops, restaurants, cafes, architecture, and culture as parts of Europe and the US - it’s not very different from other big modern cities. Of course, there are parts of it that are interesting and unique but I think if I was travelling that far and going to a different continent I’d choose somewhere else that was a little more distinctive.

If you do want to see a big modern city - Dubai? Its not for me (I’ve been) but it’s full of modern buildings, shops, big hotels and all inclusives, water parks etc. Depends when you choose to go though - obviously it can get incredibly hot.

Regarding Thailand - you’re right although awful, murders do happen everywhere. It has sleazy parts (like most places!) but it’s an enormous country with a lot to see and do. And if you’re not interested in religion, and your kid is too young for diving there’s other water sports and activities, there’s history, amazing landscapes, nature etc etc. You say you’re interested in food - you can definitely find great food in Thailand!

anniehm Sun 03-Feb-19 18:29:30

You mentioned whistler - remember that's Canadian dollars, and it's amazing! Didn't do ski school but went winter hiking with a guide which was free.

User5436477 Sun 03-Feb-19 19:18:07

Myshiny - That’s a good point about not having to book accommodation for the whole time. We could book flights and a few days in Singapore through Virgin, then book a ferry and hotel in Indonesia separately. But it might be too much hassle for me (I’m lazy)

Thanks Swiftier. Based on what we want Dubai is a really good suggestion. It does have all the things we want plus nice beaches, but it holds no appeal to me whatsoever. I’ve ruled out the Middle East in general.
My grandma is from Singapore so it holds some sentimental interest and maybe I’m biased but from reading about it and photos it looks amazing to me.

I don’t like AI which is the main thing putting me off Mexico and also may be better to wait until kids old enough for snorkelling and diving.

I’ve worked out the price of whistler ski school for 5 days as £650 😱. I’ve heard that the ski school is amazing but for that price I would want my kid to be Olympic standard by the end of the holiday. Maybe we could just ski together instead.

So I’ve narrowed it down a bit to skiing in Canada vs multicentre in Asia: considering Singapore (maybe+ Bintan), KL+ beach, Bangkok + beach, Tokyo + skiing. The last one is fantasy I think with our budget but it doesn’t hurt to look. 😀

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in