Talk

Advanced search

Dominican Republic at Christmas just me and DD

(11 Posts)
sargassoseas Wed 30-Jan-19 21:53:10

I'm really struggling to make this decision and could use some help from the Mumsnet massive.

After a couple of drab Christmases with me, DD and bad tempered, unhelpful DM I want to ring the changes this Christmas. I've always wanted to go to Mexico but it's just too expensive at Christmas so I've been looking at the DR.

I've found a holiday that's affordable, has direct flights to Punta Cana with BA and would be in an all inclusive right on the beach. It looks ok, I'm realistic that it won't be amazing five star. I speak Spanish reasonably fluently, have travelled a lot and DD will be ten. Although I like to see a country I'm kind of resigned to this trip being a Caribbean beach holiday only.

The only thing is I've heard such dreadful things about the DR that I wonder if I'm making a terrible mistake. It's still a lot of money to spend if it's going to be horrible and I don't want to ruin DD's Christmas.

Can people advise?

OP’s posts: |
stayathomegardener Wed 30-Jan-19 22:04:46

It's not somewhere I'd choose Christmas or not.
Many friends who have visited have felt threatened or unsafe at some point, not something I'd want to risk with one adult and a ten year old.

FluffyDavis Wed 30-Jan-19 22:11:04

I went last year, just me and a 4 yr old.
Booked with Tui, stayed all inc. and didn't leave the resort. I didn't feel threatened or scared once.. had a wonderful time.

sargassoseas Thu 31-Jan-19 07:26:11

Fluffy that's interesting. Were there other families with children who were friendly with you? Did you feel lonely in the evenings?

Did you make a specific decision not to leave the resort as per PP above?

bobstersmum Thu 31-Jan-19 07:35:22

It's one of those places that I'd risk on my own but not with children. It shares the same island as Haiti which is very poor and low standard of living, I think you are safest visiting countries that have similar ethics and standards to your own.

FluffyDavis Thu 31-Jan-19 10:27:17

Yes I talked to loads of people, a lot more compared to when I've been away with family/friends. It is very easy to chat to people round the pool when your children are playing together.
Because of the time difference we were exhausted in the evening so went to bed fairly early after dinner, sometimes we watched a bit of the show. They had a children's disco before the entertainment started that was great and I met up with another family with a dd the same age. I honestly didn't feel lonely once and would book again in a heartbeat.
Trips/safety- I met the rep at the airport, on to coach and the resort felt very secure with security everywhere. The staff were the friendliest I've met and I travel a lot, they made a big fuss of my dd. I didn't go on any trips, didn't appeal with a 4 yr old stuck on a coach! The resort was huge with lazy river etc so never bored.

sargassoseas Thu 31-Jan-19 10:33:02

Fluffy thank you for your reply, it's interesting to hear from someone who has done what I'm planning.
I'm aware it's a poor country of course and in fact that Haitians cross the border as the DR is richer.
Has anyone been that has had a bad experience and what would you have done differently?

lalafafa Tue 12-Feb-19 23:19:10

Haiti is separated from DR by a huge mountain range. We’ve been going for 12 years and seen great changes. The standard of hotel has greatly improved, we went last Christmas and it cost 15k for 2 adults and 2 kids so it’s not particularly cheap. Never ever had a problem there. The people are lovely and the Dominica themselves actually stay in the hotels over holidays. Something you would have never seen a few years ago as they were so poor.

thenightsky Tue 12-Feb-19 23:37:06

We went in December for 2 weeks and returned on Boxing Day - booked with First Choice all inclusive. The price was about the same as going to the Canaries. Hotel was fabulous. Lots of happy DC running around. Food was fab. Beach was lovely and sloped into the sea so gently you could walk out until you were a dot in the distance and still only be up to your waist. Sea was lovely and warm. I'm already looking at going again, but flying out on 2nd January to avoid that miserable January blues feeling.

sargassoseas Wed 27-Feb-19 20:50:25

I hadn't seen that this had more replies thank you I have booked now going to the Hilton La Romana and really looking forward to it.

Curlybrunette Thu 28-Feb-19 19:14:35

We stayed there! Last May, but it wasn't a Hilton then it was in the Dreams group.

It was beautiful, so very very gorgeous. There were quite a few different restaurants, the Japanese was stunning.

The kids clubs were brilliant, my boys didn't do too many of the activities but the kids that were there had a fabulous time.

One of the best things was that there was a 24 hour coffee shop which had the most amazing cakes and pastries, on the first couple of mornings when jet lag was still there we were sat having latte and cake at about 4:30, ace!!!

I'd defo go back, I didn't feel at all unsafe and the staff were amazing.

Have a brilliant time x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in