Talk

Advanced search

Vaccinations for South Africa??

(11 Posts)
NutBiscuit Mon 28-Jan-19 10:48:20

We (me, DH and DS, 6) are travelling to South Africa in April. We are not going to a yellow fever region, so I didn't think we needed to worry about getting any vaccinations, however I just had a quick look at the FCO advice for SA and they suggest getting Typhoid and Hep A vaccinations done?

I spoke to DH about it and he thinks it is not necessary (and both he and MIL have travelled to SA more than once previously with no vaccinations), but I thought I would ask the great wisdom of mumsnet.

So, did anyone else have any vaccinations prior to travelling to a non-yellow fever area of SA?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Mon 28-Jan-19 12:27:50

www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/africa/south-africa#Immunisations suggests Hep A and diphtheria

I would speak to whoever runs the travel clinic at your gp practice (normally the Practice Nurse) and see what they suggest. I would especially want to make sure your ds is protected properly

Orangesox Mon 28-Jan-19 12:33:39

Definitely speak to your GP service to determine if they offer a travel clinic at all. All vaccines recommended for SA come under NHS provision so it won’t cost you a penny... whilst there is risk to yourselves, the main reason why the NHS provide these F.O.C is because of the risks to the wider population should you bring these back with you from your travels.

If your DH has such little regard for his own health then leave him to it, but I’d make sure you and DS are protected as much as possible smile

Personally, I’m risk averse when it comes to these things; as a public health nurse I’ve seen far too many instances of the fly by the seat of your pants attitude ending badly!

ILoveDaveGrohl Mon 28-Jan-19 12:36:58

I got typhoid tetanus and hep A for SE ASIA. They were all free on the nhs, check with your practice nurse and get them if you can. Defo best to be on the safe side

dementedpixie Mon 28-Jan-19 12:40:16

Not all travel injections are free but most are
www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/

NutBiscuit Mon 28-Jan-19 14:51:10

Thanks all - nice to get others opinions on this as I am typically over-anxious and DH is laissez-faire, so never sure who has the more appropriate response to situations!

I will get in touch with the GP then about a travel clinic. Wouldn't DS be covered for diptheria? He had that as part of his preschool booster a couple of years ago.

Neolara Mon 28-Jan-19 14:53:22

It might depend on where is SA you are going. We've been there lots and haven't had any vacations but we have always only gone to Cape Town and the Garden Route.

dementedpixie Mon 28-Jan-19 14:53:55

Maybe. The travel clinic might advise further

PenguinPandas Mon 28-Jan-19 14:56:29

I would have the recommended vaccines, had them before I went there.

NutBiscuit Mon 28-Jan-19 15:03:27

We're going to Cape Town but also Bloemfontein.
The FCO seems to state it's more important to get the jabs if you're staying with friends (we are) as opposed to in a hotel or similar. Not sure why - hygiene levels perhaps, although that seems insulting to my friends!!

LoopyLu2019 Mon 28-Jan-19 15:11:02

I went 6 years ago but was camping, going in rivers etc near Durban
The tour operators told us we should get (and I had):
Tetanus
Cholora (again exposed to rural/untreated water)
Rabies (everyone laughed when we were out there but the nearest hospitals were quite far at times and we were camping in big game reserves)
Hep A and B (I was u18 so combined was free, A individual was ££?!)

We also took anti malarials.

I would go by what the NHS recommends and if you intend to travel a lot of get more rather than less.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in