Talk

Advanced search

Barbados or Mauritius?

(15 Posts)
NoraExplorer Fri 11-Jan-19 17:54:01

I have an opportunity to travel to a long haul destination business class (ie sleeper seat), flights paid for, on my own, to stay 3 nights at the beginning of February (not half term). And I can't decide where!

The choices are
Mauritius and Barbados, which I don't know at all

(and LA, San Diego, New Orleans, which I have visited, and loved, and wouldnt mind going to again).

I would want a 3star hotel, near a beach, with a pool, near shops, bars, etc. Not into clubbing but want to be able to eat out alone and just relax and go for walks, or take a local bus somewhere interesting. No organised tours or sports or anything terribly touristy! (I'm a middle-aged woman by the way grin)

Can anyone recommend either island, or hotel, resort, etc in particular please?

OP’s posts: |
MaFleur Fri 11-Jan-19 17:59:07

I’m just back from Mauritius and absolutely loved it, and can’t wait to go back. However, Feb will be the height of the wet season and for that reason alone i’d Skip it for now. Beautiful country with lots to see and do, as well as fabulous beaches!

kellyboy9696 Fri 11-Jan-19 18:01:45

Mauritius of course!!!!

twopairsofsocks Fri 11-Jan-19 18:02:21

Does it have to be February? Agree about the rain in Mauritius but if you could move it and it's BA I'd get the overnight flights there and back and you'd have 3 full days.
I'd stay on the south coast to reduce transfer times and loll on the beach.

OhLemons Fri 11-Jan-19 18:03:55

Mauritius, beautiful country!

NoraExplorer Fri 11-Jan-19 18:08:35

Bugger. Yes it has to be Feb 6th and yes it's BA. Don't fancy the wet season!

Jakeyboy1 Sat 12-Jan-19 14:21:42

Barbados is almost half the flight time so you will get a lot more time on the island in that respect. Love Barbados but recent reviews it is very expensive for hotel quality.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 12-Jan-19 15:37:07

The best time to visit Mauritius is from May to December, the wet cyclone season there is from January to March.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 12-Jan-19 15:39:45

Barbados overall is a better bet weather wise in February.

BuffaloCauliflower Sat 12-Jan-19 15:42:03

Barbados, Mauritius is too far for 3 days, unless you’re travelling on two days either side of the 3 days you’re staying there

User079641 Sat 12-Jan-19 16:38:24

Barbados and especially Mauritius are lovely.
But as you are only have 3 days and in February Barbados is probably better option.

NoraExplorer Mon 14-Jan-19 00:21:49

I'm booked! Staying in a beach-front hotel in St Lawrence Gap, Barbados for 3 nights. Thanks for everyone's input!

Jakeyboy1 Tue 15-Jan-19 20:45:55

Ooh which one?

skippy67 Tue 15-Jan-19 23:00:52

Which hotel did you book OP?

NoraExplorer Wed 16-Jan-19 19:12:00

Time Out Hotel

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in