Talk

Advanced search

Safari

(10 Posts)
BoredofGrey Fri 11-Jan-19 17:06:44

It’s a big birthday for me this year and I’m thinking about a Safari. Can anyone help with best time of year to go? It will be 7 days in either August or October half term. DC’s will be 12 and 14.

Also advice on best place to go. I think 2/3 days safari will be enough and then beach. I’m drawn towards Tanzania for the beaches but am completely open to anywhere really.

Would be grateful if anyone has done similar and could give a rough idea of cost. Somewhere mid range. I don’t think we want to camp, but nor do we want high end.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Nix32 Fri 11-Jan-19 17:17:14

We did it for our honeymoon 13 years ago and are planning to take our children in two years time. We did 3 days safari followed by a week at the beach. This time I'd rather do a longer safari and much less - if any- beach time. The safari was so incredible that the beach stay felt a bit of a letdown in comparison. We went to Kenya, not sure where we're planning this time.

cloudtree Fri 11-Jan-19 17:19:26

I would recommend madikwe in South Africa for the safari. non malarial which is better with DC

coles85 Fri 11-Jan-19 17:23:46

We did Tanzania in late June and it was the beat holiday I've ever been on. We did 5 days Safari and then a week on a beach in Zanzibar. Happy to share more details if you want to message me. However my one piece of advice would be don't do a group safari. Get your own driver. It was what made our trip and I felt sorry for everyone crammed into group tour vehicles. Great choice of holiday!

BubblesBuddy Fri 11-Jan-19 21:08:45

I think to make the most of any safari in Tanzania, a few days just isn’t long enough! My children have been and it’s a great safari destination but there is a standard circuit that includes the Ngorongoro crater and the Serengeti. You would be mad not to do both. Then Zanzibar. However the safari has always been the highlight for us.

August in Tanzania means the wildebeeste are in the Masai Mara in Kenya. October half term could be wet. It’s high season in Kenya in August because of the migration to the Mara so you need to factor that in. The short rains are October/November but are sometimes late.

The weather in South Africa would be ok but it’s winter in August so head for Kruger where it would be warmer. The beaches wouldn’t be so good in August but you could go further north. October is spring and a good time to go.

Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana are amazing safari destinations but are expensive and don’t have beaches!

minipie Fri 11-Jan-19 21:16:48

Kruger can quite easily be paired with beach destinations in Mozambique, if you don’d mind some short plane hops.

At 12 and 14 will they be old enough for anti malarials (malarone)?

FlipFlapBat Fri 11-Jan-19 21:23:00

I’ve been to Tanzania in October and it was incredible. If budget stretches small camps in a concession are amazing. Gibbs Farm is a wonderful place for families, combine with the Western corridor of the Serengeti and then beach time if you fancy (although personally I’d stay on Safari).

Autumnchill Fri 11-Jan-19 21:26:45

We did Titan Tours Grand Safari in Kenya (February) and it was fantastic. Stayed at Outspan, Treetops, hot air balloon ride over Masi Mara. Want to repeat it for my 50th as I loved it so much

Cooloncraze Fri 11-Jan-19 21:34:00

Zambia or Zimbabwe in October and then a day trip across the border to Chobe National Park in Botswana.
You’ll see everything! October is the dry season so will be hot and all the animals will be at the waterholes or river. Chobe is affordable too and you can combine with visiting other countries like Namibia/ Botswana/ Zimbabwe and Zambia.
I’d forget the beaches.

ManchesterMum63 Sun 13-Jan-19 23:36:11

We did Ulusaba in Kruger (Virgin holidays/Richard Bransons 'private' game reserve) Amazing/never forgotten...there were a few families there too... 3/4 days possibly 'enough'

Lodges/food/game drives/staff ALL superb...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in