Talk

Advanced search

Where shall we go in February? World is our oyster...

(10 Posts)
RagingWhoreBag Wed 09-Jan-19 10:54:37

I have a chance of 7-10 days away (kid-free, hurray! grin ) with DP mid-February.

We have no idea where to go, there’s just too much choice!! Please can you give me some suggestions of amazing holidays in Feb (preferably where we won’t run into monsoons or anything likely to spoil it!)

Not even sure if we want winter sun or snow, so it’s a real dilemma! #firstworldproblems

I don’t ski, but quite fancy cross-country skiing or sledging etc! DP would be happy to ski a little bit but don’t want it to be a total ski fest.

Or otherwise Caribbean etc?

Ideally not massively long flights but happy to go 7/8 hours for the right place.

Places we’ve enjoyed before, Cape Verde for amazing quad biking, Egypt for snorkelling, India for food and culture. We like a bit of luxury and often go 5* but would rather not just do all inclusive.

TIA smile

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Wed 09-Jan-19 11:06:06

Could you hire a yacht with a skipper in the BVIs? Fly to Antigua then onwards to Tortola. Or an island hotel there is wonderful.

You could also do Highway 1 in California. This is lovely and quiet in Feb! Or a quick trip to the southern USA where it’s way too hot in summer! It’s also possible to go to the Galápagos Islands for a week!

duriandurian Wed 09-Jan-19 11:09:32

I read a lovely travel article in the Guardian re: skiing/sledding in Oslo via city tube lines. I would also look at Budapest: lovely thermal baths and opera etc.
We have enjoyed Vietnam, Tokyo and Bali at that time of year. Cambodia might also be good?

duriandurian Wed 09-Jan-19 11:12:14

Sorry overlooked flight constraint. Cape Town. Or Sarasota in Florida was surprisingly lovely. Valencia and Sicily (Ortygia) were fab in March, don't know typical weather for February tho'. We are hoping to go to Vegas in autumn/spring without kids for a week.

ninalovesdragons Wed 09-Jan-19 11:25:14

Caribbean definitely at this time of year. Antigua, Barbados and St Lucia all lovely and offer different things

JillGoodacre Wed 09-Jan-19 14:05:17

Sri Lanka is beautiful. We've just come back from Cape Town which was amazing!

RagingWhoreBag Wed 09-Jan-19 15:34:06

Brilliant, thank you for all the ideas. Hadn't thought about S Africa, but that's also on our list so could be ideal!

Not sure about the yacht Bubbles - we watch a lot of movies and yacht movies never end well grin I'll put it to him and see how scared he looks grin

RagingWhoreBag Wed 09-Jan-19 21:48:32

BubblesBuddy think we might do California - been talking to DP this evening and he is veering towards USA for the food! He goes a lot on business but there’s so many different places to see.

We’re a bit constrained by flights as he uses his air miles to get first class flights but the locations can be sporadic.

These ideas have helped us narrow it down a little then we’ll see where we can get a flight to (and back again on the right dates - that’s the fun game!)

ManchesterMum63 Sun 13-Jan-19 23:40:21

Bit further but worth it imo... Maldives...

RagingWhoreBag Sun 13-Jan-19 23:45:54

Oh I would love Maldives! That’s my dream destination - maybe for my 50th or if we ever get married!

Have booked flights for California and a convertible Mustang to drive down the coast. Thelma and Louise here we come grin

If anyone has any must-see destinations or amazing restaurant recommendations between SAN Diego and SAN Francisco please do share. I’ve spent hours researching hotels along the route but would love some advice from anyone who’s been there.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in