Talk

Advanced search

Animal friendly holidays

(1 Post)
SJane45S Tue 08-Jan-19 16:04:22

As it's the time of year when many people are booking this years big trip (except saddo's like me who think 2 years ahead and book 12 months in advance), just a quick plea to anyone booking animal related trips or enounters to double check it's sound from an animal welfare perspective - I appreciate that this is definetely a bit preachy but hope you can excuse that! My DH works in international animal welfare and some of the secretly filmed footage I've seen of animals in tourist attractions has you pretty much despairing of humanity! To be fair, Brits and Westerners usually have different ideas on what makes good animal entertainment and the audiences of some of the most notoriously horrible animal entertainment places aren't usually us. But there is still a gap in knowledge of what's animal friendly and what's not - World Animal Protection have a good guide to what's good practice so if you're thinking of doing anything animal related this year or next, please take a look - www.worldanimalprotection.org.uk/blogs/10-things-avoid-when-holiday?fbclid=IwAR2ZvgVbXmmst78obZN6lVhZAGMqOclRleiMLz6TzSfPsXWcaI_OEf79vFc

Many animal sanctuaries do need to be self suffucient and without our support, cannot exist. But there's big business in animal tourism and animal attractions and in some areas of the world, genuinely nasty operations make a lot of money (a Thai campaigner who my DH knows regularly receives death threats for the expose work he does). If you see anything on your holidays that feels wrong, the most important thing you can do is tell others about it, make some noise and really spread awareness, capture images and write Tripadvisor reviews. It won't stop everybody as some won't care but it will stop some from going and hit these operations at their bottom line where it hurts! For anyone who's made it to the end of this rant, thank you!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in