Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone been to Florida Keys?

(16 Posts)
twopairsofsocks Mon 07-Jan-19 17:40:58

It's never been on my radar but I've found cheap flights for a week of winter sun for DH and me into Miami.
We love snorkelling, Scuba and off the beaten track a bit.
DH is convinced it'll all be very built up but I can't believe it's all big resorts?
Any suggestions for quieter places in the keys?

OP’s posts: |
OKhitmewithit Mon 07-Jan-19 19:30:03

I’ve been and we stayed in places more like B&B’s. I don’t know it well but plenty of empty space. It’s a long drive down to the bottom, but fab views. Key West is more bars and tourist trap.

Cheesycheesytwist Mon 07-Jan-19 19:33:11

Do it! Yes there are touristy bits but explore a bit more and plenty aren't. Absolutely beautiful down there!

budgiegirl Wed 09-Jan-19 10:28:48

It’s nit built up, but can be quite touristy in places, especially Key West, Still great there as well though.

We stayed in Marathon when we went. It was lovely - a few nice restaurants and snorkelling trips etc. We drove down to Key West for the day.

The Keys are not really known for beaches , although there are a few small ones.

EmmaStone Wed 09-Jan-19 11:12:01

The Keys are lovely, not at all built up. The drive down is stunning.

Key Largo has the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, so worth looking at that, but basically the Keys are all about the water, you'll be able to do all sorts of trips.

Key West is unique, and a lot of fun, make sure you make some time for it. You may want to take a trip out to the Dry Tortugas from there too.

The seafood is fantastic, make sure to try Conch fritters, and take in the sunset at Mallory Square on Key West one evening.

Jon65 Wed 09-Jan-19 11:31:28

The keys are fabulous. Best thing to do is hire a car and start driving down. You'll find some lovely little places. We also drove across to naples down alligator alley. Well worth the trip.

ihatethecold Thu 10-Jan-19 21:32:18

We stayed near Marathon. Absolutely loved the vibe of the keys.
We ate at roadside restaurants.
There really isn’t any decent beaches though.
Went to key west for the day.
Loved it.

jeaux90 Mon 14-Jan-19 20:25:56

Nice B and B in key west is the mermaid and alligator. Dolphin research centre was great at grassy key.

2018SoFarSoGreat Mon 14-Jan-19 20:42:01

Yes, Key West and IslaMorada. Key West is very touristy but still lovely.
If you want quieter IslaMorada is amazing. The Caribbean resort is wonderful, and so relaxing. Beautiful pool.

MrHaroldFry Mon 14-Jan-19 21:17:21

Have been there. Loved it. However it is a long drive (but a beautiful one) down to Key West. Duval St, Ernest Hemingway's home, Southernmost point, Mallory Sq.

You can do lots of parasailing, snorkelling (and dolphin spitting) etc but it is not cheap

Crime statistics will tell you you need to be cautious.

You are closer to Cuba in Key West than you are to a Walmart...or so a boat captain told me.

stillworkingitout Mon 14-Jan-19 21:21:18

If you do go all the way down then try and get a trip out to the Dry Tortugas - it’s a couple of hours by boat to a remote island with an abandoned Victorian-era fortress. Really amazing

DeRigueurMortis Mon 14-Jan-19 21:27:12

Yes twice. Loved it.

Some brilliant restaurants - great seafood and excellent for diving.

We flew into Miami and stayed there a couple of days before driving to the keys - staying 5 days in Isla Morada and then 5 days in Key West.

The latter is more commercial but stil imho very lovely.

Then back to Miami for another 2 days before flying back.

I'd do it again in a few years - it's probably my favourite holiday destination tbh.

Klobluchar Mon 14-Jan-19 21:29:45

Key West is the only bit remotely touristy but even that has a charm.

Go, the Keys are absolutely lovely

dryskinfeethorror Wed 23-Jan-19 20:51:43

I agree with what's been said before.
Did Miami really like liked it v v fun
Then drove down to key west we stopped at key largo but wouldn't do this again.
Key west took us a little bit of adjustment we actually called the agent the first night to get transferred back to Miami BUT a day or two later we settled in and ended up loving it I'd love to go back
You'll have a fabulous time it's so laid back
What a lovely thing to be planning

Hatchee Fri 25-Jan-19 21:19:23

For a real rustic, outdoorsy Keys experience, Big Pine Key is great. It's also known for tiny deer that live there and there alone. And it's about a 45-minute drive into Key West so if you want to check it out (without paying Key West hotel prices), you can.

nannytothequeen Sun 27-Jan-19 01:07:08

It's a great trip. Take your time though. Miami to the Keys involves passing through a place called homestead. Lots of Mexican people work here. Amazing food. If there is time head up to Sanibel on the gulff coast afterwards.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in