Talk

Advanced search

Looking for ideas for my husband's 50th

(19 Posts)
Noddythefirst Sun 06-Jan-19 10:42:14

We want to do a special holiday in July/ August for around two weeks to celebrate DH's 50th. Two adults and 14 and 12 yr old DC and budget of up to £20,000.
We would enjoy some cultural experiences as well as relaxation and would like to have some activities for the children to do.
Please give me some ideas!

SJane45S Mon 07-Jan-19 09:53:19

What part of the world has he really enjoyed to date or talked about going to Noddy? And what kind of weather? That's a great budget and the kids are old enough to be more adventurous. Does he/you want to go somewhere new? Its my DH's 50th this year too - we're off to NY for 5 days, not quite as adventurous a break as yours unfortunately but far enough away to feel special!

OKhitmewithit Mon 07-Jan-19 11:54:50

Self drive Namibia. Balloon over the dunes at sunrise, kayak with the seals, safari, back country stay. We then fly to Vic falls and helicopter ride. Private chef and pool at final location.

OllyBJolly Mon 07-Jan-19 12:02:25

I'm tagging on because I'm looking for exactly the same! Birthday is August so either then or to go in late December. He's not adventurous or sporty and neither of us can do anywhere too hot.

doodlejump1980 Mon 07-Jan-19 12:05:23

Can you adopt me? You’re spending just under my yearly wage on a 2 week holiday?

OKhitmewithit Mon 07-Jan-19 14:46:41

@ollyBJolly what about Iceland. Bloody amazing place in August.

BubblesBuddy Mon 07-Jan-19 17:13:03

We did Ecuador and a Galápagos Islands cruise for my 50th. That’s a special place to go. Peru is also excellent at that time of year. DH and I did a safari to Zambia for his 50th. Again summer is a great time to go. It’s cooler in South Africa at that time of year. We have also been to the Arctic in July. Polar bear spotting. I would also recommend Canada for bears and whales and Alaska is pretty good too.

Noddythefirst Tue 08-Jan-19 01:22:41

We would consider Asia but not as far as Australia. I lived in NYC for a long time and much as I love it, wouldn't do it for his bday as he knows it.
Would consider Africa - he lived in SA and Kenya when younger. However, don't want to do a self drive as nervous about the roads.
Doodle, we have saved a long time for the holiday as it is a special one and want an experience that we will all remember.

QueenOfIce Tue 08-Jan-19 12:22:28

Definitely a safari, it's out of this world! Have a lovely time wherever you go.

OllyBJolly Tue 08-Jan-19 16:25:17

what about Iceland. Bloody amazing place in August

I agree, it is amazing but I've already been and we did Shetland last year which would have been quite similar (minus the hot springs obvs!) .

I'm considering Sri Lanka - lots of recommendations on here. Might start a separate thread and stop hijacking Noddy's!

MacavityTheDentistsCat Tue 08-Jan-19 16:27:47

We did Sri Lanka coupled with the Maldives last year. Twas very special.

OKhitmewithit Tue 08-Jan-19 18:05:46

Just got back from Sri Lanka, agree, bloody amazing. Not sure August is though

Noddythefirst Tue 08-Jan-19 20:02:35

Please stay on this thread Olly as I'm sure the more ideas the better. Macavity, how long did you spend in each country? Did you organise it or was it through an agent?

OllyBJolly Wed 09-Jan-19 08:48:47

Thanks . Noddy

I'm also interested in whether people use an agent or DIY Sri Lanka.

BubblesBuddy Wed 09-Jan-19 10:59:28

Southern India is ferociously hot and monsoon season in the summer. Sri Lanka might not be the best destination. Latin America, apart from the south and any hurricane area, would be fine.

MacavityTheDentistsCat Wed 09-Jan-19 16:06:31

We did 10 days on Sri Lanka and about 5 in the Maldives. It was a package with an adventure tour company. We went in August and the weather was fine. We're actually toying with the idea of doing Sri Lanka again but this time as a private family tour taking in the east coast and the whales. There's so much to see.

OKhitmewithit Wed 09-Jan-19 16:11:58

We had a private family tour and had it all organised for us. We had my FIL with us so needed to accommodate his need for planning & a single room, it was easier for someone else to sort it.

However a few threads on here indicate we paid quite a bit more for the pleasure. Our hotels were bloody lovely though and the guide (who drove) was absolutely brilliant and a lovely guy.

Sri Lanka is wonderful.

PeridotCricket Wed 09-Jan-19 16:12:12

Peru - journey latin america do some fantastic tailor made trips. Friend and I went and just had the best time.

Or try Intrepid travel or Trailfinders for family tours where it is just you as a group and you are met and guided round. Lots of places in the world.

We had a fantastic two week tour to explore Egypt...with a personal guide.

OKhitmewithit Wed 09-Jan-19 16:12:48

We did 2 weeks and it was packed with experiences that we all enjoyed

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: