Talk

Advanced search

New York in November?

(4 Posts)
Questionsquestionsquestions Sat 29-Dec-18 13:03:40

How Christmassy will it be do you think by 20th? We are going before rather than after Christmas to get more of the festive atmosphere, but now I'm thinking that might be too early for there to be anything festive up, as it's before Thanksgiving!
And if we went a week later in actually in Thanksgiving - is that a crazy time to go for a long weekend?
Otherwise it's into December - I'm guessing prices soar by then!

Any advice from anyone who's been at any of those times?
Thanks x

OP’s posts: |
MissConductUS Sat 29-Dec-18 14:58:15

New Yorker here.

It will only be a bit Christmassy by the 20th. Go Thanksgiving week, it's not a crazy time at all, other then domestic flights will be booked by people going home for the holiday. Flights to and from the UK should be fine.

I wouldn't assume prices soar in early December. That would be more Christmassy if that's what you're after. The prices might be quite similar to late November.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Questionsquestionsquestions Mon 31-Dec-18 11:49:59

Thank you very much @MissConductUS! It's a lot of money for us to come, so trying to make sure it's the best possible time as we won't get to do it again!
Would lots of things be shut on the Thanksgiving weekend if people are with families then?
And if we went beginning of Jan instead, how long do the Christmassy things stay up for?
Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
MissConductUS Mon 31-Dec-18 12:33:42

NYC will be bustling Thanksgiving weekend. Thanksgiving day itself will be a bit quieter, but even then lots will be open. Here's something I found regarding this Thanksgiving just past:

Thanksgiving weekend in NYC

The big Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center will still be up in early January but most of the rest of the decorations will be down and the Christmas vibe will be largely over.

I'd say Thanksgiving week or the week after would be the best possible times. You'll have lots to see and do then and the weather will likely be better than early January.

You're most welcome! fsmile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in