Talk

Advanced search

Thailand for just 1 week?

(24 Posts)
labradoodles Sat 29-Dec-18 09:26:08

We don’t have much time, or a great deal of £ to spend. We can only go away during March to take advantage of none school holiday prices. Otherwise, we could go away in August.

Is it worth spending ~£1000pp for a week in Thailand on the beach in a 4/5* All Inclusive?

Is that too much travelling for that short of time?

OP’s posts: |
peachypetite Sat 29-Dec-18 09:27:13

Honestly it's such a long journey and somewhere that you would want to explore, not stick to one area, that I wouldn't say it's worth it for a week.

labradoodles Sat 29-Dec-18 09:34:33

fsad You’re probably right, I’m sure we’d feel that we’d short changed ourselves.

Any recommendations for reasonable mid/ long hauls in March, that might be worth a week-10 days?

peachypetite Sat 29-Dec-18 09:46:21

Barbados?

Branleuse Sat 29-Dec-18 09:53:07

If youve only got a week, i think you'd be mad to do a long haul flight and be jetlagged from a completely different time zone. Why does it have to be long haul. Cant you do that when you have more time

labradoodles Sat 29-Dec-18 09:57:48

Everywhere short haul is cold in March surely?

TheFaerieQueene Sat 29-Dec-18 10:00:22

I did a long weekend in Tokyo. My DH was there on business so I popped over to see him. I used air miles and the hotel was paid for by the company so it wasn’t ££££.
It was fab, but god did I suffer when I got home. The jet lag was a stinker.
I would do it again though.

Omgineedanamechange Sat 29-Dec-18 10:01:54

Way too far for a week, plus don’t go AI in Thailand, totally not worth it as it’s so cheap to eat out.

lanbro Sat 29-Dec-18 10:02:57

The Canaries?

Inforthelonghaul Sat 29-Dec-18 10:06:23

Don’t know much about about jet lag but I think flying east to west (return trip) is not too bad. DH is out there now for a few days and I can confirm from the videos he’s sending me that it’s absolutely gorgeous and I think a few days somewhere really lovely is better than a fortnight somewhere just that’s ok. His hotel room is beautiful too much more luxurious and spacious than anything we’ve had in Europe.

Awks Sat 29-Dec-18 10:08:05

I went to Barbados in February / flight was fine and weather beautifully warm. We saw the island sights in s week with plenty of time to relax xxx

Branleuse Sat 29-Dec-18 10:09:14

Canaries? cape verde? Morroco?

Omgineedanamechange Sat 29-Dec-18 10:12:03

The Gambia or the Arabian gulf will be hot then, slightly cooler but still ok, the Cape Verde’s, or even the canaries.

labradoodles Sat 29-Dec-18 10:12:45

I should add that my son and his (male) partner will be coming with us, so we would like somewhere that they can feel safe too. So somewhere like Morrocco or Egypt is off the list

LBOCS2 Sat 29-Dec-18 10:14:58

Slightly left field but somewhere like Dubai? I have some friends (a gay couple) who have been holidaying there for years with no problems - international hotels don't tend to blink an eyelid at it.

nuttyslackster Sat 29-Dec-18 10:15:38

I agree with the people saying Barbados. Caribbean is totally doable for a week. Thailand is just that bit too far IMO and also agree that you'd probably want to do some exploring which wouldn't give you a lot of time.

Lobsterquadrille2 Sat 29-Dec-18 10:19:56

I went to Thailand for a week and felt that it was long enough. Agree about eating out being very cheap.

peachypetite Sat 29-Dec-18 10:25:38

Lobster how on earth could a week be enough? There are so many parts to explore!

sulflower Sat 29-Dec-18 19:47:24

I agree with other posters, a week is not long enough for Thailand. We went for 3 weeks and could have stayed longer.

sulflower Sat 29-Dec-18 19:50:14

Don’t know much about about jet lag but I think flying east to west (return trip)

It's the opposite for us, flying back from the east is killer jet lag. Absolutely fine flying back from the west.

chipsandpeas Sat 29-Dec-18 19:51:54

surely it depends on each person, i was more jet lagged coming back from new york than i was from san francisco

QuilliamCakespeare Sat 29-Dec-18 19:54:40

Thailand is an amazing, diverse country. It'd be a real shame to visit and not travel around. I'd keep a close eye on flights and book some decent ones as soon as you see them at a reasonable price. Once you're there it's really cheap to travel / book accommodation. You really don't need to book an expensive resort to stay somewhere lovely. We stayed in some really nice, modern bungalows in Koh Phi Phi for £17 a night.

enidlowrij Sat 29-Dec-18 19:54:42

I did tons of research into trveling south east asia before i got pregnant and honestly the hostels there look nice and street food is everything in asia and so extreamly cheap. Give yoyr children a traveling experience. No ppint going all the way there to spend it by the pool. Plus honestly kids 100% do not care if its 5 star o 4 star. Before i had my son id go on 5* luxury holidays but when i was little now i know the hotels were 2 star i was none of the wiser we were literally only indoors to sleep and eat between 7am and 8pm we were outdoors. And now im 26 i regret going on those 5* 1500 pound holidays when i could have spend two weeks traveling thailand with that. But if you do just want a hot weather and pool holiday honestly save your money and go to spain. Kids honestly wont see the diffrence in a swimming ppol in thailand or a swimming pool in spain x

mrpoopybutthole Mon 31-Dec-18 08:01:40

Itd be a squeeze going to Thailand for a week but doable. As pp said, it's better to go somewhere amazing for a week than somewhere meh for two weeks.
I went to Thailand in march this year (for 2 weeks). I searched around, booked way in advance and managed to get a flight for £470. I could have gotten it cheaper but wanted to fly with a good airline, to be more comfortable, as it's such a long flight. Once you're there food & accommodation is so cheap!
Thailand is an amazing country, with so much to see/do, it's a shame not to explore it. Saying that, if you really can only go for a week it's still a fantastic place to go for a weeks beach chill holiday. Can you maybe stretch it to ten days?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in