Talk

Advanced search

How much have you paid for CHRISTMAS flights NZ

(14 Posts)
WingingWonder Sun 23-Dec-18 09:29:47

Hoping to get to see friends in Auckland next Christmas, and knowctyey sell fast and are expensive, so in order to gauge costs would love if you could share what you paid?
We would be c.15.12- new year
Departing anywhere in UK and consider most routes if decent airline!
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
sulflower Tue 25-Dec-18 22:10:28

No idea sorry, but the further in advance you book the cheaper they generally are. My friend booked flights 8 weeks before flying to Brisbane and they were hellishly expensive. She booked the minute flights were released for the same dates for next year and they were a lot cheaper. Airlines release their flight schedules around 10 months in advance.

sulflower Tue 25-Dec-18 22:12:10

Btw Qatar do a direct flight via Doha to Auckland, my husband did it last year. 17 hours straight flying though.

GrouchyKiwi Tue 25-Dec-18 22:14:24

We usually pay something like £1,400pp. With 5 of us now it's a joy.

The first time I went back for Christmas it was about £800pp.

WingingWonder Wed 26-Dec-18 00:25:46

Thanks all..,
I had a feeling it could be about those figures —bloody kids— would already be taking them out of school for it, but just so much 😱
Didn’t know quatar was straight through, having flown LH with them before I was impressed so maybe worth a go,
Thanks

Celeriacacaca Wed 26-Dec-18 11:12:12

If you can leave early December or before 8th or thereabouts, it's usually considerably cheaper. I flew Ethihad last time and they were fab. Cheaper than all others, short layovers and great service.

Celeriacacaca Wed 26-Dec-18 11:13:43

Also worth looking for LH flights out of European cities eg UK - Frankfurt/Paris- NZ as these can be cheaper.

GrouchyKiwi Wed 26-Dec-18 11:27:18

Don't go via Istanbul. Was hideous.

WingingWonder Wed 26-Dec-18 23:01:57

Thanks, will factor that in- was stunned at the UK vs other departure tax but brexit uncertainty means I need to fully start and end in UK incase bags don’t make it back etc

chatwoo Thu 27-Dec-18 11:18:40

I'm not sure that Brexit will impact on your suitcases getting lost or not... hmm

However, there can be excellent savings made on flights that do not originate from the UK. Amsterdam, Paris, Brussels, Frankfurt, Milan, Rome. Airlines will often have deals or sales departing from major European centres.

It's a bit of extra faff, so depends on the saving or how keen you are to make a saving, bearing in mind you will need a return flight from the UK to/from that destination.

Celeriacacaca Thu 27-Dec-18 11:43:13

To add further re long haul part of flights starting outside UK, we have saved £1600 on our flights to Japan next summer by flying in/out of Rome.

Celeriacacaca Thu 27-Dec-18 11:45:02

I can't see that baggage will be an issue as our bags will be checked and tagged from Japan through to London and vice versa.

chatwoo Thu 27-Dec-18 11:47:32

Dublin can be a good one too. Lots of flights from London to Dub as well.

LibbyJeffries Sun 30-Dec-18 18:07:37

We booked April 2017 for departure 5 Dec, returned 8 Jan 2018 and it was £3850 for 2 adults 2 kids. Thought that wasn't too bad but had we left later or returned earlier it would have bumped the price way up

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in