Talk

Advanced search

Mainland spain- nappys and toys! What to take please help.

(24 Posts)
holsnovell Sun 24-Jun-07 21:03:51

I'm going to Badajoz where my dad lives for two weeks. He has a cot and car seat there but i just didn't know if anyone knew what nappys they have? Dad mentioned lidl? But i have no ideas with how many toys to take?

gybegirl Sun 24-Jun-07 22:02:26

A late reply - but went to Tarifa when DD was about 5 months and both the supermarkets and the pharmacies sell all the stuff you'll need on the nappy / wipes etc front. Take a couple of favourite toys (assuming this doesn't include a 4 foot teddy bear). Went on my hols the other day and found stacking cups and books to be great (work for bathtime too). Raid your Dad's kitchen for wooden spoons and tupperware to hit when you get there. Have a good time. Oh and pushchairs don't count in your baggage allowance plus you can take them right up to the steps of the plane (took our mountain buggy 3 wheeler and easy jet didn't bat an eyelid).

holsnovell Sun 24-Jun-07 22:06:53

Thanks. That helps. Were nappy's any good?

mandymac Sun 24-Jun-07 22:11:59

We found nappies pretty expensive over there (but we did end up buying them in a pharmacy not the supermarket. Brand called Didot seemed to be the same (or similar) to pampers). We took a few favourite books and toys, but best thing was a little bag of 'party bag' toys - mini pack of cards, little colouring book and crayons, wax drawing pad thing etc which kept DD (age 2) amused on the plane.

To be honest DD spent most of the day 'washing' stones from the garden in her bucket - fab! Kept her cool playing with all the water too.

JeremyVile Sun 24-Jun-07 22:14:53

Fgs, i dont mean want to be rude but its Spain - not outer mongolia.
Their products are just the same, just as good - they're not backwards!!

If you go into any supermarket there like mercadona, coviran, you will find perfectly good products. different brands maybe but you can generally tell the top brands by the price/packaging.

Nemo2007 Sun 24-Jun-07 22:16:28

when we took ds to see my nan he was 5mths and we got everything over there. Couple of cheap huge supermarkets that will have everything. Will say nappies were better than pampers etc..lol

nightshade Sun 24-Jun-07 22:19:41

just back from spain on thursday, used moltex nappies, seemed o.k

don,t know what age your child is but i took a few basic toys (which were not used). my one year old had more fun with water bottles filled with dried pasta, bucket and spade we bought there, hose in garden, clothes pegs and magazines, not to mention crawling after the cats and dogs.

i also found i didn't need as many clothes as i took, due to having a washing machine and dd being naked most of the time!

flibbertyjibbet Sun 24-Jun-07 22:22:21

Agree with last two posts, my sister is in Valencia, we've been a couple of times with 1 then 2 babies, everything is in the supermarkets. Of course the nappies were good, they have good quality products just like us y'know! Did you think they would just tie rags round the babies bum or something????
Can't go wrong with Mercadona own brand products.
But watch out if you use formula or prepared baby food, the formula contains sugar and flavours, and the jars contain salt.

missyhols Mon 25-Jun-07 15:54:18

jeremyvile the reason i query is my dad lives in a fairly remote part of spain and want to be clued up on the best brand to look out for.
thanks to alll for help dd is 18 months and im 27 weeks preg so anything to keep her amused is a bonus!

JeremyVile Mon 25-Jun-07 16:05:30

This might help

devonsmummy Mon 25-Jun-07 16:10:46

visited my mum in spain with my then 5mth old.
got nappies from Mercadona - their own brand. They seemed rather thin when got them out for inspection but they were actually better than Pampers - nice & light for the heat.

missyhols Mon 25-Jun-07 16:16:07

excellent link thanks. will look out for that brand. is the water safe for pg woman to drink?

devonsmummy Mon 25-Jun-07 16:17:04

waters not safe at all in spain - stick to bottled

missyhols Mon 25-Jun-07 16:17:13

just read the link and it says on their its fairly safe just everyone does bottled water instead!

missyhols Mon 25-Jun-07 16:17:29

ooops bottled it is! lol!

devonsmummy Mon 25-Jun-07 16:18:36

oh! i've always used bottled in spain, it's so cheap it's worth it for peace of mind

devonsmummy Mon 25-Jun-07 16:24:03

toywise i took plastic measuring spoons and soft books, bought bucket & spade etc - he was too young to use them but loved the bright colours and bashing them

missyhols Mon 25-Jun-07 16:24:28

my dad used to have a special filter thing when he lived in gran canaria he may have kept that? cheers for help

geekgirl Mon 25-Jun-07 16:30:26

of course the tap water is safe to drink in Spain

at how many people seem to think Spain = Congo

MrsSpoon Mon 25-Jun-07 16:32:37

Think you may prefer the taste of the bottled water over the Spanish tax water.

MrsSpoon Mon 25-Jun-07 16:33:35

ROFL!!! Can you tell I've been working today:- "Spanish Tax Water". Of course I mean Tap water!!!

JeremyVile Mon 25-Jun-07 16:34:28

"waters not safe at all in spain - stick to bottled"

DevonsMummy, why do you think that? - its not the case.

devonsmummy Mon 25-Jun-07 16:36:14

because as a child we holidayed in spain every year - and my mum now lives there

jellyjelly Wed 27-Jun-07 20:21:56

We used dodot when we went which i beleive are made my pampers. Dont worry about the pounds they work in kilograms so figure it out before you go. You could always take a full pack of ours and buy soem out there see if they leak then save our for nighttime.

I found the jars to be ok when we went but there 6-12 months are like our 4 months stuff. They seem to be a stage or 2 back from ours.

Have fun.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: