Talk

Advanced search

Maldives

(33 Posts)
Stopyourhavering64 Sun 02-Dec-18 22:42:03

Planning holiday to Maldives next September with dh ...have previously been to Seychelles, Thailand, Antigua, Cuba, don't want a big busy resort
Have a healthy budget ( will also be flying business class) and want a 5* resort with potential for AI and over water villa and spa
Want to go snorkelling, so a house reef would be good, or at least within easy reach of some good sites ( not planning on scuba diving)
Think S Ari Atoll May be where we need to head ( for whale sharks, turtles, dolphins) , but would welcome any ideas

LCHF2018 Tue 01-Jan-19 11:08:05

I have been to Baros twice. Its a small island with a fabulous house reef and service and food (all al a carte) is excellent. Breakfast is a combo of cooked to order and buffet and includes proseco. The only downsides are the rooms are a bit old and tired and so not themselves have a wow factor. Also not sure the restaurants/ bar would keep you entertained more than 6 days...

LCHF2018 Tue 01-Jan-19 11:09:27

Ps baros was over 12s only when i went not sure if that is relevant

KirstyAllsoppsFatterTwin Tue 01-Jan-19 16:57:42

Lily is AI and we were worried about getting Buffet Fatigue the same as you. We opted for it in the end because we'd read that the prices in non-AI resorts could get ridiculously out of hand and you can be paying $10 for a small bottle of water. We knew if we went AI then the budget was set in stone for us with no nasty surprises and no temptation to get carried away ordering wine etc.

We were not expecting to eat especially well as all Maldives customers are a captive audience on each tiny island and every place relies heavily on imported food.

We worried for nothing - we ate fantastically well from the AI buffet and could not have been more impressed with it. They did try to upset the wine a couple of times at one of the a la carte restaurants (that was still on the AI plan) but we weren't tempted as the AI wine selection was more than good enough.

We are thinking of going back, actually.

KirstyAllsoppsFatterTwin Tue 01-Jan-19 16:58:28

up-sell the wine, not upset it!

CoatTails Tue 01-Jan-19 17:10:30

Kuramathi.
I’d KILL to go back.

BradleyPooper Tue 01-Jan-19 17:26:43

Conrad Rangali every time, one of the top 100 destination worldwide in 2018, been to several others but keep going back to the Rangali. Make sure you book the underwater restaurant too...

Stopyourhavering64 Thu 03-Jan-19 19:22:16

Have booked Kandolhu in N Ari Atoll...roll on September.....only 30 rooms and the house reef looks amazing

paap1975 Fri 04-Jan-19 10:27:15

So sorry for your loss. I know you've booked now, but in case others are interested, we're going to Maafushivaru next month. I think it ticks all your boxes. Sooooo excited!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »