Talk

Advanced search

Getting married in South Africa

(5 Posts)
LakeFlyPie Tue 06-Nov-18 18:21:07

We'd like to get married in SA (western Cape) next Feb, (civil ceremony either outdoors or in public building i.e non religious) just us and a couple of witnesses.
Does anyone have any experience of this type of wedding, advice on best way to arrange this and recommendations for a venue?
TIA

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Thu 08-Nov-18 17:57:42

Contact Karen at www.londongreenafrica.com. She might be able to advise. She is South African and knows everything!

GherkinsOnToast Fri 16-Nov-18 14:05:20

Which part of the Western Cape? Do you have a place in mind? Wine Farm, mountain, Beach? Most hotels/wine farms have a planner who can recommend a celebrant and sort all the official paperwork etc.

MrsPatmore Wed 21-Nov-18 17:07:22

Look at Portfolio for beautiful estates and to make enquiries about weddings.

christravelwizard Fri 30-Nov-18 22:20:59

Hi @LakeFlyPie,
I've organised a couple of wedding trips to South Africa and in terms of essentials, here's what you need to know (I'll cover venue later):
1. Civil ceremonies can take place in any location and are conducted by a registered celebrant
2. Both religious and civil ceremonies are legally binding and there's no minimum residency period
3. Marriages performed in South Africa are internationally recognised and legally binding.
4. The documents you need to take are: Full Birth Certificate, a 10 Year Passport with at least 6 months validity remaining, if you are divorced you'll also need your Decree Absolute and if you're a widower , you'll need a death certificate and previous marriage certificate.
5. In South Africa, only marriage officers authorised by law can perform marriage ceremonies and civil marriages are solemnized at offices of the Department of Home Affairs and at churches with authorized marriage officers.
5. A wedding ceremony in South Africa may only be conducted in a church or another building used for religious services, or in a public office or private house, with open doors.
6. You'll need at least 2 witnesses at the ceremony and you then get a marriage certificate when you and your two witnesses sign the marriage register.
In terms of venue, it depends on your budget but here are a few areas in the Western Cape that have stunning views, hotels and atmosphere:
Cederberg,Swartland, Breede River Valley, Cape Winelands, Cape Overberg, Cape Agulhas.
I would recommend the Twelve Apostles and Spa for an experience that will stay with you forever!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in