Talk

Advanced search

Vancouver Island - with DC 14,12 and 8

(15 Posts)
eightytwenty Tue 23-Oct-18 20:10:05

We’ve agreed a home exchange to Vancouver Island for next summer. Will be based in Nanaimo but obviously want to explore the island. What would be your must do’s, must see’s and best tips? Have you let your DC do any of the adventurous stuff on offer? What about whale or bear watching?

OP’s posts: |
HappySpade Mon 29-Oct-18 17:28:07

Tofino and Ucluelet are amazing - might want to spend some nights there as it's a bit of a drive from Nanaimo. Could do surf lessons there. Nanaimo has a quite famous bungee jumping bridge, if you're that adventurous. There seems to be a lot of outdoor aerial parks popping up all over the place too. Could do a fishing excursion, if that's your thing.

Mitzimaybe Mon 29-Oct-18 17:31:56

Whale watching is a must. You'll probably see bears just from driving around; I don't know what organised bear-watching involves. I think you'll love it.

Exchange rate is much worse than when I went so you might find prices a bit expensive. In the shops the "shelf price" hasn't got tax added so you need to mentally add that.

Bellie99 Mon 29-Oct-18 23:23:27

Love Torfino and would definitely spend a couple of nights at least there.

We saw more whales from Victoria than we did in Torfino but the sunsets and scenery were stunning.

marateach Mon 29-Oct-18 23:28:46

Another vote for Tofino! Although everywhere I’ve visited in BC is beautiful. We did sea kayaking in Lund and whale watching in Tofino.

Bouledeneige Mon 29-Oct-18 23:41:52

I'd agree with the whale watching and sea kayaking and Uceulet. I also liked the aquqrium. There are also a lot of ferries, and national park trails so you could see around the island and even go over to Seattle (its very cool) and the Olympic peninsula (where twilight was filmed).

ShanghaiDiva Tue 30-Oct-18 13:34:46

really enjoyed Butchart gardens - near Victoria
Royal BC museum - especially the our living languages exhibit
whale watching in Victoria
Tofino also lovely

eightytwenty Tue 30-Oct-18 23:24:08

Hadn’t heard of Uclulet so one to research. Wondered if there are whale watching companies from the east side or are they all on the west. Had seen the bungee swing and was thinking that might be a good Xmas present for my dare devil 12 year old. Not so much his siblings. Didn’t realise bears can be seen on the island. Thought you had to go over to the mainland. Are there ferries to Seattle from VI? That would be cool! Albeit ESTAS will be required. Mean time the exchange rate is likely to be AWFUL post Brexit. Yuk!

Ooogetyooo Wed 31-Oct-18 21:24:50

I can recommend Telegraph Cove for a kayaking trip for a couples of days watching the orcas( lots of other wildlife to see ) we did this with a company out of TC and they provided kayaks camping equipment food and tour guide . Couple of other children on our trip as well . Beautiful scenery .

Ooogetyooo Wed 31-Oct-18 21:26:31

North island kayak is the name of the operator we used .

ThoughtForFood Wed 31-Oct-18 21:28:50

Sooke: the potholes there are magical! Also visit Whiffin Spit at sunset. The panoramic view is incredible. Another vote for Ucluelet.

FoofOfTheWalkingDead Wed 31-Oct-18 21:32:45

Head off to some of the smaller islands like Saltspring or Denman and Hornby for some day trips.

Tantruminateacup Wed 31-Oct-18 21:45:43

Head up to parksville, your close enough just to spend the day or stay at.one or the resorts along the beautiful Rathtrevor beach (Tigh na mara is the nicest. Tubing along the Cowichan river is great fun. You could also take the ferry from Horseshoe bay to Vancouver or to on of the Gulf islands. One for when the kids are in bed, smoke some awesome weed smile. As far as bears go, black bears are on the island but they aren't just wandering around the place. I've lived here almost 10 years never seen a bear or a cougar. Oh almost forgot head up to Botanical beach, it's a couple of hours drive but well worth it. Look at accommodation around port Renfrew.

Tantruminateacup Wed 31-Oct-18 21:49:29

Sorry some of my spelling is shocking there. I'm getting my kids ready for trick or treating.

eightytwenty Thu 01-Nov-18 10:57:57

How funny they have a Scottish name (Tigh na Mara!). Looks like they would be close enough for a day visit. Tubing sounds fantastic fun! Not done that before. Kayaking is super fun of course. About to do some more research into potholes too! Thanks these are awesome!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in