Talk

Advanced search

Luggage

(10 Posts)
FishesThatFly Tue 23-Oct-18 07:19:10

Family and l are going to America Disney in February. I haven't flown in nearly 2 decades and never longhaul so starting to get a bit anxious!

I understand the sizing for the luggage but l have since heard that as well as hand luggage, Virgin allow another 'personal' bag in the cabin too.

Could someone please explain what this is?

OP’s posts: |
FishesThatFly Tue 23-Oct-18 07:20:42

This is it

animaniac Tue 23-Oct-18 07:28:10

It does explain it on the photo you've posted from the website - a 'personal bag' is a small handbag or rucksack.

FishesThatFly Tue 23-Oct-18 08:23:41

But how small is what I'm pondering. I don't want to take a rucksac and then be charged as it's classed as too big

Glitteryfrog Tue 23-Oct-18 11:32:32

Do you have hold luggage?
If you have, do you all need 3 bags?

If I've got hold luggage i just use a normal sized rucksack as my handbag for the day and pack my handbag In my suitcase.

FishesThatFly Tue 23-Oct-18 12:49:05

Yes l have hold luggage too.

I'm thinking of having a small wheely case as cabin luggage. In there will be spare clothes for children and l, Powerbank, money, paperwork etc

In my small personal bag, I'll have purse, phone, headphones, pillow, chargers, tissues, wipes, food.

Was thinking it will save having to keep reaching up into main cabin case then

NewIdeasToday Tue 23-Oct-18 12:56:56

The small personal bag should be exactly that - typically a small handbag. What you are describing (with a pillow etc) would be too large.

It’s easiest to put everything you need on the flight into a carrier bag that you can lift out of your cabin bag and keep by your feet once you’re on the plane.

Leave stuff like spare clothes inside the cabin bag. You can always lift it down from the overhead locker if you need them.

Another question- as you haven’t flown recently- have you done an ESTA for each member of the family including kids?

FishesThatFly Tue 23-Oct-18 13:02:11

Yes - estas are all done smile

NewIdeasToday Tue 23-Oct-18 13:34:55

Have a great time :-)

The Dibb forum has lots of really useful info to help with planning a trip to Disney.

BubblesBuddy Tue 23-Oct-18 22:08:57

So you are having a hold suitcase and a wheeled cabin bag? Is this just for you or for the whole family? Will you pull two wheeled bags along yourself? Plus another bag?

Keep one hand free from pulling a bag. Use a ruck sack for the cabin bag. Inside that have a removable bag for flight needs. You don’t need a pillow. You don’t need changes of clothes for all of you. Maybe pants and change for children. You need your book to read, something for the children to do, camera, paperwork, personal entertainment, wipes, phone, passports and money in a small personal bag that can be under the seat in front of you. When you land, put it in the bigger bag to take off the plane. Two bags is better than three.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in