Talk

Advanced search

If we loved Cape Cod, where else could we try?

(22 Posts)
BoogleMcGroogle Mon 22-Oct-18 21:25:13

We had a fabulous fortnight in Boston and Cape Cod last year. It was perfect for us, and just adventurous enough for our 8 and 6 year old. I'm tempted to go the US again this year, but I only really know New England and don't know where else to try. We don't fancy Disney or anything like that and simple (ish) self-catering cabins/ cottages work best for us. We love interesting cities, a bit of history, big beaches, lakes and mountains.

I'm wondering about Washington and Virginia or The Carolinas, although a Canadian friend suggested Vancouver and Vancouver Island. I'd love to go up to the wilder National Parks in Maine, but I think the kids might find it a bit dull and there's nothing more depressing than going in search of deep peace, only to be serenaded by whinging offspring.

Any ideas/ experiences would be gratefully considered. Happy to consider anything really. I love planning holidays!

OP’s posts: |
Annebronte Mon 22-Oct-18 21:34:44

You might like the Florida ‘panhandle’. The coast around Apalachicola is gorgeous, especially Cape San Blas and St George Island. Apalachicola itself is also an interesting little town. Tallahassee is worth s day trip. The Suwannee River is magnificent and you can rent beautiful cabins from Florida State Parks. Wakulla Spring is brilliant for wildlife and has a lovely historic but simple hotel. There are loads of other huge freshwater springs you can swim in that feed into the larger rivers: they are swimming pool blue and good for bird and turtle spotting too. It’s totally different up there to the rest of Florida - we found it quite weird and wonderful!

lightingseeds Mon 22-Oct-18 21:46:37

If you're willing to add longer to your flight, then you might enjoy a combination of San Francisco and a lovely California seaside town like Carmel or Santa Barbara. Beautiful coast, beautiful weather, great food.

PARunnerGirl Mon 22-Oct-18 21:51:09

The Hamptons? Very similar vibe to the Cape, much more choice of where to stay and similar watersports, walking, bike hire etc. Gorgeous beaches. Also amazing wineries that are family friendly in terms of having lots of acres of space with play areas etc. Can obviously be teamed with a trip to NYC.

Parker231 Mon 22-Oct-18 21:53:48

How about Nova Scotia and/or Prince Edward Island? You could combine them with a couple of days in Toronto.

afrikat Mon 22-Oct-18 21:55:46

Anna Maria Island in Florida is beautiful and so laid back

Can I ask where you stayed in Cape Cod? I'm dying to go there!

sunsalutations Mon 22-Oct-18 22:11:25

Lake Quinalt, Seattle and Portland, Oregon - my favourite holiday ever

GetOffTheTableMabel Mon 22-Oct-18 22:13:39

Hilton Head, SC
Or Kiawah Island, SC
Fabulous

winnerwiner Mon 22-Oct-18 22:16:57

Hi, we went to Hilton Head end of March a few years ago, which has beautiful beaches, you can cycle on the sand and ride round the island. There is gorgeous Spanish moss dripping off the trees, alligators and other wildlife/birding but is a little different to Cape cod in that it has a real southern flavour. I kept expecting Forrest Gump to appear. You are an hour from both Charleston and Savannah (both incredible historical Southern cities) with quite a few Plantations to visit as day trips so you get quite a bit of history too in terms of the American Civil War and some Gullah culture too. The low country food is great with lots of crab cakes, collared greens and shrimp. A friend has a place in Edisto Island, GA which she raves about a little further south which is worth a look too, although I haven't been. Myrtle beach is quite a bit more developed than Hilton Head and is known as a party town, I prefer Hilton Head. Nearer Washington DC, (incredible place with kids and the museums are free unlike the a lot of the rest of the states) I've heard great things about Assateague Island with it's wild horses and the Outer banks of North Carolina, but you are probably looking at May -Sept for good weather there (and it will be really hot in August). Canada is great (that's where we are) but you are better to go in "high" summer when it's around 20-30. I agree with annebronte, there is quite a bit more to Florida than Disney. Sanibel and St Petes, the whole of the Gulf really is great, with Cape Canaveral being fascinating too and the Everglades are also amazing but I'm not sure I'd go in August I melt when it gets past 35.. Vancouver is also great, but watch your weather, for example I wouldn't go in October (it's really rainy) summer is wonderful. What time of year were you thinking? I am just looking into a fly drive Florida Panhandle to Texas in March, but as ever, the distances are extraordinary!

BoogleMcGroogle Tue 23-Oct-18 08:06:53

Thanks so much for these ideas. We were reading through them this morning and they are really great. There are so many amazing places I'd love to visit. I'd never even thought of going as far south as GA, but that sounds pretty exciting. And sadly, I think I did think Florida was not much more than theme parks and retirees in RV's, and I'm quite excited at the prospect of being proved wrong about that.

afrikat we stayed in Chatham, which is a gorgeous, low-key town. Very historic with awesome beaches. We were recommended a place called Pilgrim View on White Pond ( a freshwater swimming pond) by colleagues who live in Boston. It was absolutely fantastic, and if DH had his way, we'd go back every year (like lots of the other holidaymakers we met there), but I fancy exploring further afield. Other places wee loved were Plimouth Village (a recreation of the original settler village and Wapanong settlement), Provincetown, the protected coastline (no building allowed, we went on a sand dune safari), Welfleet, Brewster and lots of days on wonderful beaches.

OP’s posts: |
PARunnerGirl Tue 23-Oct-18 09:22:31

Oh Boogle all those places are wonderful! I used to live just outside Boston and so am very lucky that the Cape was so close. I went back last year.

PeridotCricket Tue 23-Oct-18 09:31:31

Vancouver and Vancouver island is ibcredible. Particularly tofino. There’s bear and whale watching trips and Vancouver city is really manageable and good fun .

mummymeister Tue 23-Oct-18 16:44:45

we loved Cape cod and have gone on to holiday on the west coast of Canada from Vancouver, Sechelt, driving up to Golden and the rockies. we have also been to Oregon which again has a very similar feel and had lots of outdoorsy things to do. if doing florida stay on the keys and do some of the inland bits for canoe trips and snorkelling the reef etc. we did also love belize but you need to time your trip to get the best weather. fabulous once in a lifetime holiday there too.

LIZS Tue 23-Oct-18 16:49:27

Sanibel/Captiva Island in Florida

Tobykins Tue 23-Oct-18 16:51:35

Me and DH did a twin centre Chicago and then Door County in Wisconsin, had a fantastic time.

IfyouseeRitaMoreno Tue 23-Oct-18 16:52:09

Salt spring Island is a wonderful ferry ride away from Vancouver Island. Lovely island, great walks, nice market and friendly people (well most Canadians are anyway!)

afrikat Tue 23-Oct-18 17:49:51

Thanks Boogle I will have a google of all of those!

purplepandas Fri 02-Nov-18 21:01:54

Oooh, just the thread I was looking for. Bumble, we did the Rockies this year with a 8yr old and a 6 yr old and then to Vancouver. Uttlery fab and they loved it. I am checking back in actually to see if anyone had suggestions for similarish alternatives. We are toying with Nova Scotia actually which I noticed someone had suggested above.

Parker231 Fri 02-Nov-18 21:35:05

Nova Scotia is amazing. So much to see and do. Easy to drive around and gorgeous scenery.

BubblesBuddy Fri 02-Nov-18 22:33:11

We can recommend Washington. The museums there are first class. Easter is better than the summer for heat. The museum of flight and the museum of American history are outstanding. Who can resist looking at the White House and exploring Arlington Cemetery is worthwhile. From there drive out to The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and also visit places like Richmond and Charlotte. You can then go out to the coast before returning to
Washington.

Also recommend SF to LA. Carmel beach is great and whales to see off Monterey. Plenty to do in SF and Santa Monica is fun. Beaches galore. Places like the Getty Villa and the Getty Centre are well worth visiting.

BIWI Fri 02-Nov-18 22:36:57

I have family in New Brunswick, in Canada. We flew into Boston, hired a car and drove up the coast road to them - it was brilliant! Can't remember the places we stopped en route, but one of them we found a fantastic mini golf course themed around pirates. In Canada, as well as lovely St Andrews, we also went to Prince Edward Island (where Anne of Green Gables comes from!). It's all so beautiful around there.

cheeseoverchocolate Sat 03-Nov-18 16:16:23

Nova Scotia or Washington state/Oregon/ Vancouver. Also the Rockies maybe?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in