Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone stayed in Unawatuna, Sri Lanka?

(7 Posts)
MissMarple11 Wed 17-Oct-18 21:45:25

And if so what's it like? We're booked to visit sri lanka from the 18th dec to the 1st Jan. We're sorted for 5 days in kandy and new year in Colombo but we've 7 days we want to spend at a nice beach resort so we've booked a hotel there and I'm just wondering what it's like or if there's anywhere better. It's me, my partner and our 7 year old. We like to have a wander about at night, some nice restaurants and bars, a few days at the beach. Last year we were in kata beach in phuket and had a lovely time. We don't usually stress about holidays and book what we fancy but we're just curious to other people's thoughts as opinions are very varied on TripAdvisor etc.
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
fanomoninon Wed 17-Oct-18 21:48:00

Just sliding onto this thread as we've booked a few days in Unawatuna next year: in the most gorgeous airbnb so if the area's rubbish, we'll just stay in out lovely little pad! Interested to hear other opinions though! Where are you staying in Kandy, MissMarple? It was the one place we struggled to find somewhere we liked (although we're only there for a day, so less on an issue for us!)

MissMarple11 Wed 17-Oct-18 21:59:37

We've booked a place called vin roma homestay. Seems nice enough and some good reviews on TripAdvisor. I can let you know what it's like when we come back if you want.
I'm probably reading too much about unawanatuna but as we can pick anywhere on the coast I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with the choice. It doesn't help that it's Christmas and so busy there. The amount of hotels already booked panicked us a bit.

christravelwizard Thu 18-Oct-18 12:59:16

Hi MissMarple11,
If you're looking for something different, try the try the Hotel Tri (https://trilanka.com/) that overlooks Lake Kogalla not far from Unawatuna.

MissMarple11 Thu 18-Oct-18 15:45:14

Wow looks beautiful, it's expensive but also full at the time we'll be there smile. We've booked a hotel which we can cancel up to the end of November but I'm quite happy to go with that although recommendations are appreciated. I'd love to know your thoughts on the area, have you visited recently?

christravelwizard Thu 18-Oct-18 17:02:26

Hi MissMarple11, I haven't been there but a customer of mine was there 4 months ago and I just emailed her. She said that there are better beaches but you just need a different take on it. She recommended three things:
1 - a visit to Galle Fort, 2 - go to Jungle beach instead of the main beach (a 10-15 min walk - just ask anyone!) and see the fishermen on stilts and 3 - the massages are amazing and cheaper if you don't go for the beach ones. Just go a little inward. She also said the Hut Roti shop has really good food.
Now I wish I was going!!! Have a lovely time!
Chris

MissMarple11 Thu 18-Oct-18 19:46:12

Thanks for that, I'll put them all on the listsmile. I'm now rethinking staying in kandy and going straight up to dambulla/sigiriya for the 4 days before. I'm never usually this indecisive.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in