Talk

Advanced search

Hand luggage for kids - backpack vs small trolley case?

(13 Posts)
Wenchelda Thu 11-Oct-18 09:44:25

So with a 30+ hour door to door journey ahead of us next year with a 9yo & 7yo, I'm starting to plan things in order to distract myself from the anxiety of flying for so long.

DH & I will have backpacks for hand luggage. I initially thought the dcs would use their little trolley cases for their stuff on the plane but now wondering if backpacks will be better for them too. Their trolley cases open with one zip at the top (same as a backpack would) rather than having to lie them down and unzip all the way round, space inside is similar to what a backpack would have.

We will be travelling to the airport this end by train (approx 1.5hrs all in) and then transiting for 2-3hrs in Hong Kong, so this is the only time they will need to carry/pull their bags.

Our main luggage is likely to be 2 large suitcases with another one or 2 large soft hold-all type bags that can sit on the top of the cases and hook over the handles, so DH and I will have our hands full dealing with those.

Backpacks are probably better, right? I know I'm overthinking this but as I said I'm feeling very anxious about the flight so getting these little details sorted in my mind are helping to calm me!

OP’s posts: |
AnnPerkins Thu 11-Oct-18 09:49:29

Definitely backpack.

Hands can let go of trolley cases and lose them without you noticing. Trolley cases can trip up unsuspecting passers by.

Backpacks are lighter to lift, fit more in, and are smaller to squish under the seat in front.

Wenchelda Thu 11-Oct-18 10:10:46

Ann that's a good point about trolley cases potentially tripping other people up.... not to mention the risk of over-tired children going crazy & thinking it's fun to whizz them about on their wheels!

And also backpacks are likely to be more useful on holiday too as they can use them for days out / picnics / swimming stuff etc.

Thanks thanks

BubblesBuddy Thu 11-Oct-18 19:08:47

I would expect a 9 year old to be able to take charge of their own (medium sized) suitcase under supervision. So delegate the third case to the 9 year old. Many children travel well and will be better if given responsibility.

The two large cases must not weigh more than 23kg (or 22 kgs) so don’t over fill. At this maximum weight they are very heavy. I recommend the ones with 4 wheels (spinners) for ease of use.

If you need a fourth bag, get one that goes in the cabin for you and DH to share. Do you all need bags? What on Earth are you putting in them that you must have on the fight? You seem to be planning so many bags, I’m wondering if you are going for a month or two! Cut the number down or you will always be counting them!

wizzywig Thu 11-Oct-18 19:12:18

MiniMAX Childrens/Kids... www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LZH4OOI?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf&tag=mumsnetforum-21 this one has a backpack plus wheels so you can choose which one you prefer. My kids love theirs

Wenchelda Thu 11-Oct-18 23:40:35

Bubbles yes we are going for a month. Our limit is 30kg of hold luggage per person so we have plenty of weight allowance to play around with. Plus it's a 25hr flight with 2
children who have never flown before so I want to be prepared for all eventualities and have plenty to keep them occupied (I know they will most likely just use the onboard stuff but I'd rather have alternatives and not need them than be stuck for hours on a plane with bored kids wishing I'd brought along more to keep them busy!)

HeddaGarbled Thu 11-Oct-18 23:46:17

Yes, definitely back packs. Children with wheely cases can be an absolute menace in busy airports. Also, they’ll be easier to shove under the seats and for them to get stuff in and out of while you are in flight.

specialsubject Fri 12-Oct-18 17:47:32

Backpacks. Wheeled cases are a menace with adults (usually zombie phone starers) and a waste of weight, also really crap.

I always use a backpack on journeys. Stroll on and off escalators, in and out of lifts, up and down kerbs while everyone struggled with useless wheels.

SpoonBlender Fri 12-Oct-18 18:58:48

Backpacks - with a 30 hour journey you want their carryon to be something easy to get stuff in and out of, and which can live under the seat in front of you so you're not struggling to get things in and out of the overheads, and so on.

If any of you are taking electronics - phones, kindles, Nintendos, tablets - add in a fat battery block (10,000 mAH or so) and plenty of spare charge leads. Sometimes the seat chargers don't work, sometimes you'll run low on juice when you're waiting in an airport. Don't be tempted to get one that's integral to a piece of luggage, as you'll have to pop it out every security check and they can't go in hold.

Also headphones for the kids, no-one needs to hear kids playing games.

eurochick Fri 12-Oct-18 19:21:29

Backpacks, definitely. They can have them by their feet for easy access rather than having to get an adult to get the case from the overhead bins every time they want something.

BubblesBuddy Fri 12-Oct-18 22:18:55

Airline staff will not lift 30kg in one bag! You won’t lift that either. 22/23 kg is the normal allowance and I just wouldn’t go over that. If you take two hold bags each it will be unwieldy. Try washing clothes to cut down on luggage. Just because you can take 30kg each, it doesn’t mean you should.

specialsubject Fri 12-Oct-18 22:23:46

Load up 30kg.in a suit case and just try carrying it...

MissWimpyDimple Fri 12-Oct-18 22:23:58

Hmmm I'm going to go against the grain here.

When we did this DD (who was 9 at the time), packed her backpack and then put it in a wheelycase. It meant that in the airport she could wheel it about, but on the plane I took the backpack out and she could have it under the seat.

Was also good as packed a proper big blanket in one side of the trolley case which helped her sleep.

She would not have managed a heavy backpack on the transit. She could barely lift herself! She also sat on the trolley case when in queues etc.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in