Talk

Advanced search

Shopping in Japan

(14 Posts)
Penelope52 Fri 05-Oct-18 14:06:54

It's our 25th anniversary so we're going to Japan for two weeks and I'm looking for suggestions please? We'll be going to Tokyo, Hakone, Takayama, Miyajima & Kyoto.
Particularly interested in beauty, homeware, clothing and any 'must have'.
So excited!! TIA

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Sat 06-Oct-18 10:08:02

First of all, Japan is wonderful. You will love it!

Secondly, when we went we didn’t have much time for shopping! In Tokyo there are lovely department stores with all things Japanese for sale. I bought a cotton kimono style dressing gown. Look at the real kimonos though. They are stunning. Go into the basements to look at the food. Also stunning! You can buy lacquerware which is beautiful and there is the Muji House that’s a while house shop in Tokyo. You have to remember luggage restrictions though! The Japan version of the V and A has great gifts too. (I can check the precise name if you want me to). Ginza is a very busy shopping area, where there are dept stores with restaurants on the top floor, and the Shiseido shop is beautiful. As are all the shops at night. The lights are amazing.

I found lovely shops in Kyoto. There are traditional crafts there and they make items for the Geikos and Maikos such as hair ornaments and kimonos. I think there are items like paper and housewares that are lovely. However, the temples are amazing. Try and see the Geikos and Maikos around the tea houses at about 5 pm.

I didn’t look for clothes. There is a shoppping Street in Tokyo where you will find Prada, LV, etc. We went to look at the buildings which are architectural gems but didn’t buy anything.

Lastly, grab the Lonely Planet Guide to Japan. They have shopping recommendations. We just did so much else which was unforgettable! Have fun.

Penelope52 Sat 06-Oct-18 22:28:21

Wow, Bubbles, thanks for such a detailed reply, much appreciated. Really looking forward to it now!

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Sun 07-Oct-18 23:11:03

One of our best ever holidays. Cannot wait to go again!

Thesunrising Sun 07-Oct-18 23:22:00

Loft is the home wares store you need to visit. www.loft.co.jp It’s a large chain and you will find several in the big cities. Google Loft Japan for lots of English speaking blogs that rave on about what they sell.

jpgirl Sun 07-Oct-18 23:24:07

I miss Loft so much! I wish they’d open here.

Muji is a lot cheaper over there, and the stores are larger.

Uniqlo is always good for good quality basics.

But yeah. Loft. 😍

QOD Sun 07-Oct-18 23:26:11

We found ourselves at the busiest pedestrian crossing in the world

Absolutely mind blowing

AlexaShutUp Sun 07-Oct-18 23:29:01

Another vote for Loft. And Tokyu hands is cool too.

Takashima is my favourite department store.

I miss shopping in Japan.sad

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 08-Oct-18 08:47:24

Tokyu Hands is a very good store as is DAISO (has all sorts of stuff in there as well). You must visit their food halls in the basement of the department stores.

Shopping for clothes can be a problem as Japanese people generally tend to be a lot smaller in size than westerners so clothes are made for their body shape and stature. Yukatas are nice to wear though. Also everyday items like chinaware bowls, chopsticks and chopstick rests are inexpensive too.

BubblesBuddy Wed 10-Oct-18 00:18:00

The busy zebra crossing is next to Shibuya station. It’s known as Shibuya Crossing. The exquisite expensive stores are in Omotesando. A tree lined Bond Street!

Mercurial123 Thu 11-Oct-18 16:17:35

Japanese steel wind chimes from one of the department stores in Ginza Tokyo, tea cups and Japanese tea pots, hand made chop sticks. wood block prints from a master printer in a back street in Kyoto.

greencatbluecat Thu 11-Oct-18 16:19:25

My partner always goes to the Apple store in Tokyo. Vastly cheaper there.

He also buys beautiful handmade paper.

Mercurial123 Thu 11-Oct-18 16:22:40

I forgot Itoya in Ginza it's an amazing stationery store

matcha--jp-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/matcha-jp.com/en/1176?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1&=true&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fmatcha-jp.com%2Fen%2F1176

Shampooeeee Mon 15-Oct-18 18:53:43

Another vote for Itoya.
Ippodo in Kyoto is a great place to buy Japanese teas. They also ship worldwide in case you fall in love with their matcha.
Lanvin have a Japanese-only offshoot line called Lanvin Blue. I found some really stylish clothes there- they are in concessions in the department stores.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in