Talk

Advanced search

BA Premium Economy isn’t worth it

(14 Posts)
teakwood Thu 20-Sep-18 22:15:34

We feel slightly conned, we upgraded to Premium economy, being told that it had the food from business, more leg room etc.

The seats were practically the same.
We got the same food as economy as they’d run out of business.

It was a long way from the loos.

OP’s posts: |
MakeLemonade Thu 20-Sep-18 22:16:43

Agreed, extra leg room seats in economy are as good and much cheaper.

teakwood Thu 20-Sep-18 22:18:59

I mean don’t get me wrong, their business is quite antiquated but if not paying full price then it is worth it. Premium economy was economy but more expensive!

Plus I found the people to be much more grouchy.

The staff were rude too, no acknowledgement of it being a more premium cabin. Will not bother again. It’s all out and Business or just economy/ economy with extra leg room.

3ChangingForNow Thu 20-Sep-18 22:19:08

It is so incredibly shit and I couldn't get over how shit their in flight entertainment screens were. It's not 2005 anymore!

teakwood Thu 20-Sep-18 22:20:18

Snap! I felt like I was flying in the early noughties!!

dueanotherchange Thu 20-Sep-18 22:21:43

Do they give you business food now?? They used to give you economy food!

I agree it’s a total rip off. Never understood the attraction - i’d Rather sleep in an economy seat.

Long haul on BA, the best place is upstairs at the front. Furthest away from the engine and therefore a bit quieter

KennDodd Thu 20-Sep-18 22:26:21

I recently flew PE on BA, 10 hour flight. I thought it was fine, no complaints at all, loads of leg room, even for 6ft3in DH. Maybe some planes are better than others.

WalkingTed Sat 22-Sep-18 19:48:41

we recently flew premium ba...

the flight out was great, really comfy and good food and inflight entertainment

the flight back was archaic, no better than economy, the food rank.. really uncomfortable. it was a long haul overnight flight 11 hours of hell.

underneaththeash Sun 23-Sep-18 20:45:32

We've flown both PE and business several times over the last few years. PE does have more leg room than economy and that's primarily what you're paying for. The food in business is akways much better, but they don't pretend that it's the same.

winterishereagain Tue 25-Sep-18 12:56:54

We flew BA premium economy to Asia at Easter and it was amazing- v new, great food, almost empty on the way out and DH had a great sleep which he can't do on economy.
I think it depends on the plane as the year before it was better one way than the other.

Stilllookingfor Sun 07-Oct-18 20:37:58

It definitely depends on the route. If you fly to NY, they use the best planes and even in economy, the leg room and space between seats is much better.
But do not expect much in a more exclusive route, for example the South American routes which I flew shortly after my NY flight so the comparison was dire. In this route I was surprised that I could barely squeeze through to my window seat if the passenger ahead had reclined the seat. It was outrageous. Plus the arm rests would not go all the way up so you were basically stuck. And it was not because the place was old, actually the seats were new but optimised to squeeze you like cattle, for this route, just because they can. Hey they would not do that with the aircraft going to JFK would they. They think they are too clever, but they will get caught.
Also, don't be fooled that you will get better service in business. The business cabin is stuck with the older crew which care less and know how to play it so they get away with it. Ahhh I remember 20 years ago when I longed to fly BA every time.... things are changed now.

BubblesBuddy Sun 07-Oct-18 23:08:32

I fly business BA and find it a bit much anyone complaining about the age of the crew! How miserably old school are you that you want eye candy for crew!!!? Crew dint have to retire at 35 any more. We have always been respected. No problems at any time.

PE is Economy. It’s in the name. It’s for people who cannot afford business or first, so one rung up from bottom. No - you won’t get business food or the business lounge or off the plane first. Only the old Jumbos have upstairs. That cabin is business. If you want lie flat and a decent long haul flight, you have to cough up for it. PE is a bit more legroom and for people who don’t have enough money for business. Pay extra for the seats with legroom in economy next time. Being near the loos isn’t good. Queuing passengers near you all the time!

Stilllookingfor Mon 08-Oct-18 01:30:25

I don't want eye candy. Just good old service..... I said "older", not "old". My experience (and I have some) of the business class crew is that they are, more often than not, a more entitled bunch. Because of their experience and hopefully performance at some point in their careers, they won the higher ranking job. and my experience is that they will remain in that job even if someone more junior or better at what they do would do a better job (not to mention they would also smile more often). I only blame it on BA not on the crew themselves (and possibly a side effect of the unions, but not sure about it). And this is only my experience albeit pretty consistent over the last 10 years.
And side comment, business food at BA is at best average. You only go business from your pocket for the space and the flat bed. Independently of what ticket you fly, you eat before you board if you possibly can.

BubblesBuddy Wed 10-Oct-18 00:29:02

If you only fly business, how the hell do you know what the crew are like in PE or E? You would never know as you don’t see them! You are ageist in your comments. I have seen a variety of crew in business and perhaps I see their pleasant side because I’m a pleasant person!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in