Talk

Advanced search

USA tipping

(8 Posts)
RubyFlint Sat 15-Sep-18 22:36:01

We’re costing out a trip to Disney at Easter and from what I’ve read here I need to include quite a chunk of money for tips.

The thing is I haven’t been to the states for years and I have no idea how much to tip and who for. We’re staying in site at Disney in a hotel (not decided which one yet) and I’m already worrying about it. Can anyone advise please.

OP’s posts: |
RusholmeRuffian Sun 16-Sep-18 01:04:49

15-20% for meals is pretty standard. A dollar a round at the bar, a dollar or two a night for hotel room cleaners, a dollar or two for other services like having your bags carried etc,

InionEile Sun 16-Sep-18 01:25:28

Yes, 15% is minimum tip, average is 20%. Also, a lot of places do not include tax in their advertised prices so you have to add that in too when you’re budgeting. Although Disney might be different because they get so many tourists.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 16-Sep-18 09:56:53

I have noticed in recent years that many restaurant receipts now include suggested tipping amounts ranging from 10 to 20%.

At a Disney site I would leave around $2/$3 daily for the cleaners.

MadisonAvenue Sun 16-Sep-18 10:03:43

Attila I noticed that when we visited earlier this year, first time that I've seen suggested amounts on receipts depending on the level of service and we visit quite often. I found it really useful!

And yes, as already mentioned sales tax isn't included in the price shown (and the amount varies by state/city) and is added on at the checkout so that's something to keep in mind when in shops.

RubyFlint Mon 17-Sep-18 18:49:22

Thanks everyone. It doesn’t sound quite as bad as I’d first thought grin

OP’s posts: |
MazDazzle Mon 17-Sep-18 19:03:35

We went to America earlier this year. There was a helpful on tripadvisor which we used as a guide. Google ‘Emily post tipping America teipadvisor’.

We have 10 dollars a day for housekeeping, 1 dollar per drink at the bar, double whatever the tax was on the receipt at dinner, 3 dollars per cab ride and 1 dollar per case for the hotel porter. We tried to guess how much we’d be for tips and factored this into our budget.

SenecaFalls Mon 17-Sep-18 19:09:29

If you mean Disney in Florida, the sales tax rate in Orange County, where Disney World is located, is 6.5%.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in