Talk

Advanced search

Yosemite - what activities can we do?

(17 Posts)
grumiosmum Tue 11-Sep-18 16:39:58

Have planned a hiking holiday there later this year; now DH has injured himself this isn't going to be viable.

What do people do in Yosemite National Park that doesn't require a lot of walking/strenous exercise?

OP’s posts: |
ConsiderHerWaysAndOthers Tue 11-Sep-18 22:31:17

If it’s not too intrusive what’s the injury? It is mostly active stuff there tbh but not all hiking; bike riding, horse riding, fishing, swimming, boating, winter sports in the right season... if it’s something that rules out most physical activity then there are organised bus tours and some nice hotels have spas.

grumiosmum Tue 11-Sep-18 22:38:24

He will be recuperating from a broken foot. Able to walk on it, but not far. Hotel is already booked (don't think it has a spa).

Organised bus tour is my idea of hell!

Pumpkintopf Tue 11-Sep-18 22:43:58

Could you travel out from there? Sonoma, Napa etc? Quite a bit of driving though...

BillywilliamV Tue 11-Sep-18 22:45:35

Well, DH and I got engaged in Yosemite..

diodon Tue 11-Sep-18 22:46:12

Its America so you can drive up to a large proportion of the sights wink grin

Seriously I only had a short time in Yosemite so didn't actually walk more than 10 minutes at any stop and I saw loads in Yosemite Valley and Glacier Point.

You won't be able to escape the crowds though like you would have done hiking.

Although its a injury not a disability suggest you download the accesibility guide from the park service website for tips.

diodon Tue 11-Sep-18 22:50:29

Sorry didn't quite make my point that if its your first time at yosemite you don't need to do activities, you will be happy just driving round and stopping to look at the amazing scenery. And the bears.

ConsiderHerWaysAndOthers Wed 12-Sep-18 06:10:15

That sucks regarding the broken foot sad

Yes the scenery is quite nice but personally if I couldn’t walk I’d cancel Yosemite as driving all that way to just admire a view for a few minutes is not my idea of holiday. We’re also on the same page regarding the bus tours... shudder. I’d personally opt for San Fran or Napa/Sonoma (wine country) instead under the circumstances.

grumiosmum Wed 12-Sep-18 07:14:43

Thanks for the advice everyone. San Francisco is already part of the itinerary, might look into Sonoma/Napa for a couple of days. Currently planning 4 days in Yosemite which might be a bit too long.

grumiosmum Wed 12-Sep-18 07:15:14

DH will be able to walk, just not for 4 hours as we would normally do.

grumiosmum Wed 12-Sep-18 14:42:53

I think DH will be fine with bike riding. I assume there are some good mountain bike trails in the Park? Anyone know if you can rent e-bikes too?

ItsJustTheOneSwanActually Wed 12-Sep-18 14:48:10

We just went there as a day trip on a long road trip and drove to the scenic spots so can't help much

BUT - word to the wise - fill the car with petrol before you get in the park. There is only one gas station in there and they charge double the going rate.

Yosemite is huge. And hilly. You'll use a fair bit of petrol.

billybagpuss Wed 12-Sep-18 14:54:58

You'll be fine they have buses that go round the valley floor and up to various view points. I did a watercolour painting morning, DH did a photography morning. There are plenty of little river areas where you can swim. There are also plenty of low level, easy walking that he'll be able to do from what you've said.

I'll second the filling up the car before entering. We were driving up and the sign was Yosemite 2 miles. We then entered the park and it said Yosemite village 72 miles. We pretty much coasted into the village on fumes. There is a fuel station there though.

Curlybrunette Wed 12-Sep-18 17:06:43

OP hope you don't mind me jumping in on your post.

We're going next year (me, DH, and DSs - aged 11 & 13), have never been before and I don't exactly know what to do once we get in Yosemite. So far we have accommodation just outside of the park, so I think we'll drive in and see lots of amazing scenery but I'd like to do some hikes (realistically I think up to 7 miles is about as much as we'll manage DSs will manage before they moan too much When we get into the park itself, do we need to head to Yosemite Village to find the hikes or are there big glaringly obvious signs to 'Stop, park here and walk'!? Do we need a map or will there be well signposted walks?
Have any of you been late May/early June? I've seen you've said about swimming billybagpuss will it be too cold for swimming then do you think?

Any Yosemite/San Francisco/Big Sur/Monterey advice is much welcomed!

billybagpuss Thu 13-Sep-18 11:22:35

@Curlybrunette We were there in Late July and the water temperature was lovely, the valley rivers are quite shallow so should warm up fairly quickly after the snow melt, but even San Francisco can be quite cold in May make sure you pack a fleece or something similar.

I'd certainly attempt a swim that early in the season, but it may just end up being a paddle.

Curlybrunette Thu 13-Sep-18 15:10:07

Great thanks, I'll prepare for chilly weather, I think I did read on TripAdvisor that the San Francisco fleece sellers seem to do very well, as people aren't prepared for how chilly it is!

SummerLightning Thu 13-Sep-18 15:17:41

Op - you can't mountain bike in Yosemite, it's not allowed. You can hire bikes though and bike around the valley/on some limited paths. Wouldn't be surprised if you can hire ebikes but probably not worth it!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in