Talk

Advanced search

Niagara Falls

(29 Posts)
jarviscockerslover Sun 09-Sep-18 07:25:14

I'm going to Toronto this weekend on a business trip and I have one free day (!) Tossing up whether it's worth just having a nice day to walk around Toronto city or if I should be getting on an organised tour to Niagara Falls... it really that spectacular? Do you advice or recommendations of tour companies much appreciated

OP’s posts: |
WerewolfNumber1 Sun 09-Sep-18 07:30:55

I’d see Toronto given that choice - Niagara Falls is just a lot of water, the people I know who’ve been were very underwhelmed!

jarviscockerslover Sun 09-Sep-18 07:38:41

Thanks for the response.
I'm actually in Toronto for seven nights however I'm working every day so I will still get to see a little bit of the city it will mostly be in the evening

SJane45S Sun 09-Sep-18 08:47:48

Stay in Toronto definitely & explore some of the downtown neighbourhoods & go out to the islands. Niagara is a fantastic sight but to be honest unless you do the Maid of the Mist, about half an hour is fine! The area is full of tacky gift shops & honeymooners.

RusholmeRuffian Sun 09-Sep-18 18:58:45

Toronto definitely. I am one of those people who were underwhelmed by Niagara Falls

TheFaerieQueene Sun 09-Sep-18 19:00:43

The town Niagra Falls is hideous. The falls are spectacular, but after 30 mins or so you have seen them unless you go on the boat trip.

Vitalogy Sun 09-Sep-18 19:21:32

As you're staying in Toronto for 7 nights anyway, definitely go and see the falls. Have a ride on the boat too with your waterproof mac bag it's fun! Enjoy your trip.

2BorNot2Bvocal Wed 12-Sep-18 10:23:28

Go see Niagara. Do the Maid of the Mist and also the tunnels for the noise & vibration. Yes the town is tacky but you can have your back turned to that.

Go see a Blue Jays match one evening for local fun. Much more family friendly (I know you're travelling solo) than a football match over here.

MadisonAvenue Wed 12-Sep-18 10:42:36

You should definitely go! Not sure how doable it is to walk across the US/Canada border on the Rainbow Bridge now but the US side is more parkland and to stand on the path adjacent to the top of the Falls is quite something. We have family on the US side and used to visit often pre-kids.

Niagara On The Lake is also worth a visit!

jarviscockerslover Wed 12-Sep-18 14:51:19

Thanks for all the responses.. I think I will go- have found a tour which includes hotel pick up, winery visit, Niagara on the lake visit and falls with Hornblower boat ride (formerly maid of the mist). I'll be shattered as I arrive at my hotel 7pm (from Australia) and the pick up is 8am the next day but I figure I can sleep on the coach ride
I'm catching a hockey game in Calgary one evening too - can't wait smile

Vitalogy Wed 12-Sep-18 14:58:04

Is that the only date you can book the tour then?

jarviscockerslover Thu 13-Sep-18 03:47:50

Vitalogy- yep it's the only full day I have free, working 9-5 from then on

HollyBollyBooBoo Thu 13-Sep-18 04:03:01

Niagra on the Lake is stunningly beautiful.

Niagra Falls is so boring, i thought it would be in some beautiful, natural area, but no you have to walk through a Blackpool equivalent to get to it. Hideous!

Your tour sounds like a good idea though, you'll get to see some beautiful countryside as you go from one place to the next.

There are some great places to eat in Toronto, v jealous of being there for a week (although I know you're working!).

VanillaSugary Thu 13-Sep-18 05:04:35

I did this tour. The ice wine is unique.

Sadly a freak fog situation descended on Niagara Falls and we couldn't see a thing!! grin

I absolutely loved Toronto. The art gallery and the museum are definitely worth a visit.

MooseBeTimeForSummer Thu 13-Sep-18 05:18:40

So you’re going to Calgary after Toronto?

Saturdaycartoon Thu 13-Sep-18 05:22:10

Have fun OP. Budget to buy some ice wine if you can - delicious!

Vitalogy Thu 13-Sep-18 05:43:58

Oh well, not to worry, like you say you can nap on the coach.

Funny what individuals remember, I don't remember the gordy town of Niagara and the overwhelming memory of the journey from Toronto to Niagara was and industrial landscape confused Can I be forgiven it was over 20 years ago.

Have lovely time!

Ps, there were black squirrels in Toronto, hopefully they're still there smile

Vitalogy Thu 13-Sep-18 05:45:15

Wonder why they changed the Maid of the Mist boat ride name.

Bellie99 Thu 13-Sep-18 05:51:07

Maid of the mist is the name if you travel on American side. Horn blower is on the Canadian side.

Vitalogy Thu 13-Sep-18 05:54:44

Oh right, thank you Bellie99

jarviscockerslover Thu 13-Sep-18 05:58:30

Thanks everyone! I'm excited now, I think I'd kick myself later if I didn't do it
Yes - 2 days 2 nights in Calgary after Toronto (working both days again). It's a whirlwind visit.

jarviscockerslover Thu 13-Sep-18 05:59:14

Look forward to sampling the ice wine!!

Undercoverbanana Thu 13-Sep-18 06:11:02

Get over to the Islands and explore, explore, explore ...... happy memories for me ......

HollyBollyBooBoo Thu 13-Sep-18 06:34:21

Definitely bring back some ice wine - utterly gorgeous!

MooseBeTimeForSummer Thu 13-Sep-18 14:30:23

Bring good layers. We had snow yesterday and it’s in the forecast for Calgary.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in