Talk

Advanced search

Mexico - visit in winter? Resort?

(7 Posts)
legolimb Mon 03-Sep-18 18:23:46

We usually like a winter sunshine break. In recent years we have spent Feb half term in various resorts in the Canary Islands.

DC are now grown up so we aren't tied to any dates or destinations.

I quite fancy Mexico but know very little about it.

Is Jan/Feb a good time to go? Which towns/resorts would anyone recommend?

I've never done a fly and flop type trip. We generally like to explore a little.

Any ideas welcomed.

OP’s posts: |
KingIrving Mon 03-Sep-18 20:58:21

Just a word of caution about the Riviera Maya. Lots of new fantastic resorts there but the sea is not nice. Huge vegetation, and I mean huge huge. You can't swim, you can't enjoy the water. Look at playa del carmen, way nicer.
Or Tulum .

PunkAssMoFo Tue 04-Sep-18 05:46:57

You don’t need to ‘fly and flop’ in Mexico. The yucatan peninsular is really easy to explore.

I’d particularly recommend visiting the city of Merida. Also, check out if there will be any fiestas going on. We missed out on one in Rio lagartos as didn’t realise it only started at midnight on the day we visited. Gutted as it looked fab.

redfragglebiker Tue 04-Sep-18 06:23:02

We did Playa del Carmen in December a few years back as a honeymoon and it was beautiful. Weather was high twenties/low thirties so not so got that it was impossible to function (I don't cope too well with extreme heat). People were very friendly and the resort was safe and clean. We did a few excursions including a day trip to Cancun which finished with a romantic meal on a boat in the middle of the bay and it was stunning. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

KingIrving Tue 04-Sep-18 07:21:12

We did a day trip to Chichen Itza and another one to one less famous in the jungle, Uxmal, which we visited on the bikes they give at the entrance.
Fantastic and impressive

Mummyh2016 Tue 04-Sep-18 07:24:40

We went to Riviera Maya in February a few years ago. Had 2 rainy days (the day we arrived and the day we flew home!) over the 2 weeks. Loved it, one of my favourite holidays!

legolimb Tue 04-Sep-18 13:56:44

Some great info - thanks.

Ill look into it further. I do like to break up our winter with a little sunshine and it's about time for somewhere new.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in