Talk

Advanced search

Easter 2019 "Big holiday"

(9 Posts)
NotAnotherHeffalump Wed 29-Aug-18 08:33:57

I have a big birthday, eldest DC will just be finishing off p7 so want to do a big holiday to celebrate.

Two younger DC will be 3.5 and 5 then.

Ideas so far have been a safari, a cruise and Disneyworld Florida (DHs top choice). Have also considered a nice family friendly hotel in a "wow" location like the Seychelles. I'm probably most keen on the safari and we can tie it in with helping out at an orphanage out there. We did a theme park in Salou in this summer and it was hard work with the youngest.

Has anyone got any good recommendations?

OP’s posts: |
AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 29-Aug-18 13:15:01

I would choose Disneyworld in FL (particularly if travelling outside July and August) or the cruise.

Many safari companies will not accept your youngest children on safari because they are both too young. Also safari drive days can be both long and tedious on occasion. You would also all need a lot of vaccinations and perhaps malaria tablets to take both before and after you return.

Do not go anywhere near an orphanage; such voluntourism is actively discouraged now because many of these children are not actually orphans and are exploited by the people who run the institution. Children are not tourist attractions and such help from well meaning but poorly informed tourists would likely do more harm than good. You would not likely freely visit a children's home in this country so why would you want to at all visit such a place abroad?.

Read up on this whole subject more and you will see what a minefield it is. This is helpful:-
www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/to-do-orphanage-tourism-blog/
[[

randomthoughts Wed 29-Aug-18 15:19:43

How about Thailand. We spent last Easter at the Slate in Phuket, did a few day trips (Elephant sanctuary, phi phi and phan nga bay). The trips would definitely be suitable for kids the ages of yours. The hotel had an amazing kids club, which meant me and DH could grab a couple of hours of peace and cocktails at the adults only pools!

NotAnotherHeffalump Wed 29-Aug-18 19:36:26

The orphanage is one sponsored by our church, it's very small and has grown organically out of one of our members desire to help. It doesn't really take tourists normally, but friends of ours have visited in the past. I will take your advice onboard though attila and thanks for the eye-opener. I hadn't really considered it from any other perspective than helping out and trying to encourage a bit of humanitarianism in my DCs, but always happy to learn and be corrected. The last thing we want to do is cause harm.

I will check out that hotel random it sounds like the type of thing we were thinking about.

OP’s posts: |
MaryPoppinsPenguins Wed 29-Aug-18 19:40:27

I’d do Disneyworld because of your kids ages.

HermioneWeasley Sat 01-Sep-18 21:05:05

Disney world and or a Disney cruise

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Sat 01-Sep-18 21:21:36

Easter is one of the busiest times of year in Disney World Florida. It usually coincides with the US spring break holiday. It's often busier than the summer holidays.

Although having said that, it would still be my first choice!

WalkingTed Sat 01-Sep-18 22:46:19

nope disney in October much more bearable

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sun 02-Sep-18 07:39:57

Not October next year, Star Wars land is opening and it’s going to be hell on Earth..

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in