Talk

Advanced search

Can my ex partner withdraw consent at the last minute

(10 Posts)
atmywitsend153 Tue 28-Aug-18 08:20:28

Hi there, I’m just after some advice.

Me and my children’s fatherseparated early this year. I moved out of the family home and moved back into my parents house with the children. He currently has them overnight once a week. However, we had booked a family holiday for us and our two young children to Florida, along with my parents for the 7th September.

I have taken my ex partners name off the booking, as I knew there was no chance of us resolving things after the way he treated me. He hadn’t contributed anything towards the holiday at that point, and I paid the full amount out of my own pocket.

Anyway, around April/May time I asked him for a letter of consent to take the children with me, which he brgrudinging gave me in return for my engagement ring. So I have a letter of consent from him, along with the children’s passports and their birth certificates.

However, I was just wondering, could he withdraw his consent at the last minute? As I can see him attempting to stop us going.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
YeTalkShiteHen Tue 28-Aug-18 08:22:26

Not without court and a good reason, since you have the letter giving permission.

My XH tried to pull a stunt like that when DS1 was going away with my Dad. But the letter giving me permission to allow DS1 to leave the country either with me or a responsible adult of my choosing meant he couldn’t.

atmywitsend153 Tue 28-Aug-18 08:31:01

Thank you for your reply, I’m just paranoid that he will try and pull something at the last minute, because I wouldn’t put it past him.

ChristmasPlanner Tue 28-Aug-18 11:52:19

As you now have the letter he would, I think, have to take some legal action to stop you and given the circumstances described any judge would tell him to get a grip.

PoptartPoptart Tue 28-Aug-18 23:29:20

Do you have the same surname as your DC?
If so, there shouldn’t be a problem.
I’m divorced from DS’s dad and have taken him abroad on my own several times (including Florida last year).

Occamsrazorblade Tue 28-Aug-18 23:39:04

Same surname no problem without the letter at the airport (they would assume no issues obviously they don’t expect children to fly with both parents all the time) so unless he turned up and physically tried to stop you, in which case you have the letter, there’s not a lot else he could do.

Does he know the flight times? Any chance if not being at home the day or two before? Is he having the children at all before then?

ChristmasPlanner Wed 29-Aug-18 08:19:24

We have the same name and I’ve never been asked for the letter not even in the USA (DD has been asked questions) but you are legally required to have consent so I wouldn’t travel without one until she’s at least 16, it’s not worth the small risk of being prevented from traveling. But you have the letter so I don’t see a problem.

atmywitsend153 Wed 29-Aug-18 10:47:29

My children have a different surname to me, however, I am taking their birth certificates as a precaution in case any questions come up about this, along with the letter.

atmywitsend153 Wed 29-Aug-18 10:49:05

He is having the children Friday to Sunday this week, and Wednesday next week, as he won’t be seeing them for a couple of weeks.

bengalcat Wed 29-Aug-18 10:53:48

Aren't some men charming ! Moving forward I'm guessing you'll need to see a solicitor for formalising you're separation , finalising contact and sorting out any financial issues . As he's tried to disrupt your holiday Tbh cannot trust him not to cause trouble in the future so best get it all sorted now - even if a separating couple mutually agree on something always best to get it rubber stamped . Presume you're not from the US and planning on ' doing a runner '

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in