Talk

Advanced search

Booking flights a long way ahead

(70 Posts)
Dancergirl Mon 20-Aug-18 09:08:43

So after leaving it very late to book our summer holiday this year, I want to be more organised and start thinking about next summer.

How far in advance can you book flights and how much can you typically save by booking early?

Once booked, is it possible to cancel?

OP’s posts: |
SJane45S Mon 20-Aug-18 10:25:39

Each airline will release flights at different times so if you know what airline you want to fly then call their Customer Services and find out how far in advance they release flights and just make a note of it. Again, depending on the airline you can sign up for alerts on special offers and release dates if they are released in a tranche (tranche dates tend to be mainly the budget airlines). I've found the earlier you book, the cheaper but there are usually sales over the year so you can grab a bargain at other times! Some of the airlines will have July flight times already released - take a quick look at Skyscanner. BA release dates 11 months in advance. Cancellations/refunds will depend on airline policy, a lot are non refundable or have penalties per person, per flight. If you've booked through a travel agent, getting your money back can take 6 plus weeks as they won't refund you till they get their money back from the airline.

Dancergirl Mon 20-Aug-18 10:31:57

Thank you, that's very helpful.

It's difficult because dd1 will be 18 next year and will have just have finished A Levels. She says she will still want to come on holiday with us but who knows her plans now for working or going away with her friends....

meadowmeow Mon 20-Aug-18 10:43:05

You can book refundable tix. They cost more generally, but the flexibility is worth it, particularly with a teen who may or may not be coming next year.

meadowmeow Mon 20-Aug-18 10:43:31

Or buy really cheap flights that the loss is acceptable if she just doesn't go.

Clairetree1 Mon 20-Aug-18 10:46:14

you would be very silly to book flights after March 2019, until we know if there is actually going to be any.

No, you won't get any refund if flights are cancelled because of Brexit, most airlines are specifying that in their terms and conditions

fortyandfrumpy Mon 20-Aug-18 10:50:17

You can't book more than a year ahead. I've been trying!

meadowmeow Mon 20-Aug-18 11:21:02

claire

Wtf? No flights after March? What's happening to all the airlines of the world?

Clairetree1 Mon 20-Aug-18 12:20:34

What's happening to all the airlines of the world?

nothings happening to the airlines of the world,

but to take off and land in the UK they will need something in place to replace the European Avaition Safety Agreement, as the uk will no longer be part of it, as it is govenrned by European courts that we cannot be subject to any more.

So we need an aviation safety department, or to expand the civil aviation authority, a protocol for maintenance and safety, a few thousand trained staff to carry out such a protocol, the premises in which to do it, the laws past to make give courts the weight to enforce it, an insurance company to underwrite this, and of course separate diplomatic agreements with around 20 governments to accept our protocols.

Until this is in place, no plane can take off or land in the uk, other than on internal flights.

Or of course, we need to back down, and agree to remain part of the European safety agreement,, which will include the UK remaining subject to the European court,

if neither of these things happens in the next few months, UK airspace closes.

Airlines are now specifying that there will be no refunds in the event of UK airspace closing

Heathrow has borrowed enough money to shut down for 2 months, and continue to pay all staff, but beyond that, staff start losing their jobs, which means we won't have staffed airports even if it is resolved a year or so down the line.

Kent county council has brought in emergency protocols to close the M20 and use it as a holding area for freight entering and leaving the UK through the tunnel, in the event of the closure of UK airspace, so realistically, no likley option of passengers leaving that way either.

as no one knows whether airspace will close or not, or if or how this situation will be resolved, it would be silly to buy air tickets for after march 2019.

Clairetree1 Mon 20-Aug-18 12:22:16

This has been discussed in the media, at some length, including on the BBC, so I am surprised there is anyone left unaware of this

meadowmeow Mon 20-Aug-18 12:29:26

I was going to thank you for the helpful post with so much info that explained your point well.

That was until I saw the snide remark underneath!

Be surprised, I'm quite detached from the news most of the time.

Clairetree1 Mon 20-Aug-18 12:30:49

sorry, I did not intend to be snide,

Dancergirl Mon 20-Aug-18 12:57:21

claire thank you for that detailed explanation, I must admit I didn't even think of Brexit.

DameSquashalot Mon 20-Aug-18 13:12:31

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/govt-to-stay-in-eu-air-safety-body-in-blurring-of-brexit-red-line-11151049

There has been so much said about Brexit, it's easy to forget things.

This link gives some info.

SJane45S Mon 20-Aug-18 15:54:05

It is hard to escape the feeling that this could be one (of many!)completely monumental f*ck up, even if you're not Michael O'Leary! Having said that, we have been ''silly' and booked for April (Sri Lanka, there isn't anything in our T&C's relating to European air space either). So I sincerely hope something is sorted out by then & I guess we need some water tight insurance in place on the off chance!

DameSquashalot Mon 20-Aug-18 19:20:43

We've booked flights for April too.

Clairetree1 Mon 20-Aug-18 19:40:24

that's an interesting link @damesquashalot

to be honest, I really can't see any other way out of this mess, other than for the UK to get on their knees and beg to remain in the EASA, and of course that means basically begging to be allowed to still be under the jurisdiction of the European courts, which basically means we are begging to cancel Brexit....

because how can we claim to be independent of Europe whilst accepting we are under the jurisdiction of the European courts...

it doesn't make any sense! But at the same time its the only outcome that is imaginable. Closing UK airspace is just unthinkable, you cn't even imagine what it would mean, can you.

So I'm guessing TM will have to find a way to remain under the jurisdiction of the European Courts AND still call it a Brexit, which sounds impossible, but at least is only a case of semantics, rather than total international isolation with limited food imports.....

Clairetree1 Mon 20-Aug-18 19:44:58

(Sri Lanka, there isn't anything in our T&C's relating to European air space either).

I don't think the T&Cs are likely to refer to "European Airspace" ( or UK airspace) as such.

The ones I have seen altered have referred to not being eligible for refunds if "government decisions prevent air travel" or something similar, which basically means if the UK govt goes ahead with leaving the EASA

So I sincerely hope something is sorted out by then & I guess we need some water tight insurance in place on the off chance!

If you do find an insurance company prepared to insure against Brexit, please come back here with their name!

SJane45S Mon 20-Aug-18 20:23:03

;-) will do! The legal notices don't mention government decisions but there is the usual gumpf about rights of cancellation etc. The more you look at this (& I try not to as fed up with being cross!), the more of a totally ridiculous mess it all seems.Anyway, here's hoping for the best - and not just for DameSquashalot & our holiday!

DameSquashalot Mon 20-Aug-18 20:24:27

I don't think Expedia are selling post Brexit flights at the mo and from September if there's no deal Ryanair will start issuing a warning.

SJane45S Tue 21-Aug-18 11:18:47

Expedia have both long & short haul flights for sale in April.

DameSquashalot Tue 21-Aug-18 13:44:11

Well that's promising. One of the news reports I read said they weren't and I tried a couple of different journeys yesterday which said I could only book the hotels via them when I tried dates in April, but had plenty in Feb.

I've just tried the same journey again and there are lots of options.confused

DameSquashalot Tue 21-Aug-18 13:52:54

Apologies. I just double checked my history. I had looked at a journey that I thought I'd done before (Luton -Katowice) but that is not available. I tried a different destination too before I jumped to my conclusion.

SJane45S Tue 21-Aug-18 14:17:00

Sounds like an easily made mistake! Other than O'Leary (who i have a permanent ? about & do wonder if he's trying to detract attention from strikes & cancellations partially), it appears business much as usual (although I take Clairetree's word she's seen multiple new riders in Terms)

Childrenofthesun Tue 21-Aug-18 14:39:21

There is an example of a specifically Brexit-related rider in Thomas Cook T&C www.thomascookairlines.com/en/help-contact/terms-conditions.jsp. Check out number 21 on the pdf.

Grounding of flights would cause public uproar so I'm quite certain the govt will capitulate either before the Brexit deadline or pretty soon after to avoid this, but I would hedge my bets and not book anything for April or May and if I were planning a once in a lifetime trip I probably wouldn't book it for next summer.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in