Talk

Advanced search

Best way to gift money?

(4 Posts)
LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 15-Aug-18 11:00:42

A friend's DC is doing a gap year type thing in India and I'd like to give her some cash for emergencies/treats while she's there - what's the best way to do this? I was thinking of some sort of pre-paid card so it's not just wrapped in with her normal cash - any thoughts?

(Not looking to get into the whys and wherefores of gap year charity work, I actually completely disagree with it but it's not my decision...)

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Wed 15-Aug-18 11:18:15

Yes, you could do that. There is FairFX and Caxton that I know about and undoubtedly others.

You cannot pre load with Rupees though. You have to load with £. Rupees cannot be bought in the UK. So, as soon as anyone arrives in India, money has to be changed. I think the exchange fee is lower for these cards so they may well be better than a standard bank card. However, as the cost of living is so low in India, you do not need much money!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 15-Aug-18 20:19:54

Yeah I was only going to stick £50 on it, but didn't understand she'd then have to change that for rupees - thanks.

OP’s posts: |
Mercurial123 Sat 18-Aug-18 18:14:39

You can buy rupees outside of India though you will be warned they can be confiscated on arrival. I always bring a small amount with me from previous trips and never had a problem.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in