Talk

Advanced search

The big 40.

(27 Posts)
peoplearemean Mon 13-Aug-18 23:34:46

Me and DH are 40 next year. Looking at ideas for a "big" holiday with the kids (6 and 4)

Keen to hear about experiences on -

- Grenada (can you fly from Manchester or just Gatwick?)
- Jamaica (anyone been in the recent troubles - how was it?)
- Canada - where coastal in summer to go?
- Thailand - is it ok for kids?
- San Diego - can you also get to Disneyland easily from here?

Traditionally we have been Caribbean addicts but swerved to canaries since having kids. Want to do something different but just not sure what. Our original plan was Jamaica before the recent issues but that has put us off a bit, hence considering Grenada as an alternative as Barbados just too expensive these days. But Canada and Thailand both on our to do list just not sure if now is right.

Sorry random selection but interested to know!

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Mon 13-Aug-18 23:54:41

What would your 4 year old get out of Canada? For us it’s scenery, mountains, whales and bears! It’s not really a beach destination. East coast Canada is scenic and laid back. You might like Boston and Cape Cod. Loads of great beaches but not cheap to stay there.

Thailand has loads of beaches. Just go to the right area for the weather.

Never wanted to go to Jamaica. We like different islands so prefer BVIs or Grenadians. Grenada would be preferable to Jamaica in my view. No idea about Manchester flights.

We were very disappointed with San Diego. Touristy and not for us. We stayed at La Jolla. It does have some great beaches but we never go to Disney. If you hire a car it’s possible. I think Santa Monica is much nicer. More to see in LA on the doorstep and highway one too. However if you think Barbados is expensive, SM is too.

peoplearemean Tue 14-Aug-18 08:14:18

Really don't know a lot about Canada but would just like to go, Had been looking at Vancouver island but I really don't know a lot about it. My 4 year old will be fine wherever we go as long as there is a pool and coco pops!

BubblesBuddy Wed 15-Aug-18 07:14:53

Most people go to Canada for the wildlife and especially bears. Plus the scenery of course. The vast majority of people travel around. They don’t go to Canada for a swimming pool. However, there might be accommodation that has pools of course. I cannot imagine spending a whole holiday to Canada on Vancouver Island.

BubblesBuddy Wed 15-Aug-18 07:46:41

The Library is rated highly because guests like food included in the price. This is unusual for the Usa. Wine and cheese pleases a lot of people. Otherwise it’s a fairly basic hotel.

The Crosby Street Hotel which booking.com have, is fantastic by comparison for less than £200 more for 3 nights over New Year. I know where I would go! However it’s not mid town.

bruffin Wed 15-Aug-18 11:05:39

We loved San Diego, the zoo is lovely, but it will take about an hour and half to drive to disney, so a very long day.

BubblesBuddy Wed 15-Aug-18 11:07:39

Ignore The Libary comment - wrong thread!

jjemimapuddleduck Wed 15-Aug-18 11:11:27

I went to Vancouver Island when I was 11 (& brother was 10) and there was loads to do! We are thinking about this for a couple of years time, just put off by 24hrs travel time and 3-4 flights (coming from Scotland).

BubblesBuddy Wed 15-Aug-18 11:24:35

So you would go to Canada and spend the whole 2 weeks on Vancouver Island? It is only 2 flights from Scotland. You fly to Vancouver direct from Heathrow and hire a car. Stay overnight in Vancouver (or a couple of nights) and drive the next day via the ferry. Great shame not to see the Rockies though and have a broader experience.

EnglishGirlApproximately Wed 15-Aug-18 11:50:31

I absolutely love Grenada OP, have you been? It’s very cheap in comparison to Barbados and a totally different atmosphere I much prefer it. Agree with PP about Canada, I can’t imagine taking my six year old as it would be a touring holiday. While there are hotels with polls they aren’t really ‘resort’ style hotels so I wouldn’t really stay in one for more than a few days. I think older kids/early teens would enjoy it but not quite so little. Would you fancy something like an organised tour though? You can get ones that are really family friendly.

EnglishGirlApproximately Wed 15-Aug-18 11:50:43

Hotels with pools

EnglishGirlApproximately Wed 15-Aug-18 11:54:46

Having said that, as much as I love Grenada if you want lots for the kids then Jamaica is fab. So much to do from real touristy stuff like Cool Runnings, Martha Brae and the waterpark then some really interesting historic sites like Rose Hall. Jamaica is heavily policed in the tourist areas and to be honest you could go and not even realise there have been any problems. Mobay has its issues but it’s the town is very much separated from the beach areas and sunset strip.

peoplearemean Wed 15-Aug-18 21:07:50

@EnglishGirlApproximately oh I love Jamaica that was our first choice but there are issues there at present so not sure, hopefully it may be cleared up by next year.

Grenada - that sounds positive have you been to Blue Horizons any chance? I do miss Barbados (used to go every year) but the price hike and food prices just seem ridiculous. And everyone I know who goes these days is of the super rich variety with a place out there.

Clearly I wouldn't go to Canada just for a pool (!) I just mean that's what the kids like - let's face it they don't care where - I'm not massively bothered for touring, would like to go and get an idea for what else I'd like to do basically. I don't want to drag the kids all over but I need to get the bug out of my system we'd probably do 1 or 2 places.

Interesting no one has commented on Thailand as normally really popular on these threads.

peoplearemean Wed 15-Aug-18 21:09:13

@EnglishGirlApproximately have you done Jamaica recently? I.e in last 6 months? I know there has always been issues but seems to have ramped up significantly (to the point where my Jamaican brother in law won't go!)

peoplearemean Wed 15-Aug-18 21:17:08

@jjemimapuddleduck ooh tell me more...

EnglishGirlApproximately Wed 15-Aug-18 21:47:45

@peoplearemean no I haven’t been in the last six months but I have a travel business and have sent plenty of clients there and had positive feedback. If you stay somewhere like Negril you won’t notice any difference, mobay you’ll see more security. Haven’t stayed at Blue Horizons sorry. I really love Grenada but if you love Barbados it’s a world away really. I’m not mad on Barbados I like things a bit more rustic which Grenada certainly is!
I’m sure you aren’t going to Canada just for the pool grin, I suppose what I’m trying to say is that the hotels don’t have the types of pool areas that you see in resorts. If I was going to Canada I’d probably look at Lake Louise area there are some lovely lodges where you can do watetsports and outdoorsy stuff smile

peoplearemean Wed 15-Aug-18 21:52:19

@EnglishGirlApproximately thanks, I love anything Caribbean so not worried about the difference between Grenada and Barbados I've just always had an inkling to get to Grenada and not made it yet but been to lots of other islands. We wanted to do Jamaica because we loved it and wanted to show the kids but DH also thinking we should do somewhere new. I like the sound of Lake Louise too thanks will take a look ...

peoplearemean Wed 15-Aug-18 21:54:37

@EnglishGirlApproximately do you know if Grenada is just ex Gatwick? X

EnglishGirlApproximately Wed 15-Aug-18 21:59:00

Ah I love all things Caribbean too, love how all of the islands have their own personality. As far as I can remember the only way to get to Grenada from MAN is via Miami with American Airlines so it would be a long journey, much easier to from LGW.

EnglishGirlApproximately Wed 15-Aug-18 21:59:54

If you go to Grenada find Lazy Days bar on Grand Anse beach and have a rum punch with grated nutmeg for me winksmile

peoplearemean Wed 15-Aug-18 22:01:22

@EnglishGirlApproximately yes looking by Grand Anse 👌 will do! X

EnglishGirlApproximately Wed 15-Aug-18 22:02:48

grin I’m retiring there when I win the lottery!

breadwidow Wed 15-Aug-18 22:06:27

Thailand is great with children - people are really friendly & helpful & beaches are wonderful.

solittletime Wed 15-Aug-18 22:13:33

Grenada is very different from Barbados, especially in terms of geography and landscape. Very hilly and craggy and def more rustic.
Also very charming. But it does get battered in hurricane season.
We stayed in blue horizons about 7 years ago. It was hurricane season so that might have coloured my memory if it but found it a bit sad and tired around the edges. However just looked at the website and looks like it has had a good refurb. Also we went there on friend's reccommendation so they obviously must have liked it!
Loved Grenada in general though.
Spice island resort was amazing went there for a cup of coffee one Day!

solittletime Wed 15-Aug-18 22:30:34

Bequia is another absolutely beautiful island and well worth the extra flight or ferry

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in