Talk

Advanced search

Is £400 upgrade to Business worth it?

(33 Posts)
laairventte Mon 13-Aug-18 16:33:28

I’ve never flown business class before. It’s always one of those things I’d fancied doing just to try!

Currently travelling BA Economy (premium) class for 13 hours to South America.
Got a “special offer” of an upgrade one way for £400 to Business.

Is it worth it?

Will it stay at £400 or is it worth waiting and seeing if it becomes any cheaper?

OP’s posts: |
BritInUS1 Mon 13-Aug-18 16:35:36

It won't get cheaper, I have never seen it for less than £400

I would personally upgrade

makemineasingle Mon 13-Aug-18 16:36:06

Is it overnight? If so then I'd go for it (if you can afford it).
You'll be ruined for all future travel though.

rebelrosie12 Mon 13-Aug-18 16:36:14

Yes X a million!

Bubblemagic11 Mon 13-Aug-18 16:37:51

Yes!! Absolutely, but I’m speaking for Emirates. Maybe go on the
Airlines website and see the difference in service and seating size between the two classes. 13 hours is a long time, Business night make it go faster.

mypoosmellsofroses Mon 13-Aug-18 16:38:04

Go for it! That's a great deal, like PP said though, flying will never be the same again grin

Gonegrey31 Mon 13-Aug-18 16:38:22

it won't get cheaper. That's a good price. However, Premium economy is not at all bad, especially if you book the 2 seats together side row (assuming you are not travelling alone).

laairventte Mon 13-Aug-18 16:38:59

I’m going with DMiil, who flies business quite regularly using points and DFil’s ‘status’ for free ones.

She thinks we might get it cheap on the day?

It isn’t overnight. Departs at 1pmish.

laairventte Mon 13-Aug-18 16:39:36

We forgot to book our seats for PE, and all that’s left are two in the middle of the 4 seats

QuarrellingElephants Mon 13-Aug-18 16:41:01

If you can afford £400, go for it! And make sure you're signed up to their air miles, you'll clock up loads for business.

The return in economy will be hard though wink

OlennasWimple Mon 13-Aug-18 16:42:16

You'll only get it cheap on the day if there's any left - other people will have been sent the £400 offer too

Flying business also gets you access to the lounge in Departures and a better check in process, which can be very worthwhile (particularly if there's a delay)

OlennasWimple Mon 13-Aug-18 16:43:46

Quarelling - they don't give you that many more air miles for business class paid for through this sort of upgrade. It's done on the "class" of ticket and the number of miles flown

FinallyHere Mon 13-Aug-18 16:59:47

Bear in mind that MiL might well get an upgrade at the gate, and you not.
£400 would definitely be worth it for me, to avoid the will they wont they at the gate

laairventte Mon 13-Aug-18 17:04:46

Of course, I understand that I’m not special and that half the plane will have got the same offer grin

Gosh she better not do that to me ! I booked the flights, if that’d make any difference.

It’s hard to decide if it’s worth it, or would I rather a night or two in the Hilton for the same.

AngelsWithSilverWings Mon 13-Aug-18 17:07:34

For a 13 hour flight I would go for it! Absolutely. It really is so much more comfortable.

EnormousDormouse Mon 13-Aug-18 17:08:15

For a 13 hour flight hell yes! I think I've done well if I can get business to the ME for £300-ish and that's for 7 hours.
Lounge access beforehand, nice food, champagne before take off, lie flatbed for a proper sleep....Do it do it do it!!!!

MountainPeakGeek Mon 13-Aug-18 17:11:54

Don't pre book your PE seats at all. That's the way I've got two free business class upgrades with BA. Sold out of pre-bookable PE seats for online check in (so only the front-most PE row was available at the check in desk - they don't allow them to be pre-booked) and then BA needed to switch to a different layout of plane for some reason, with fewer PE seats, so we were bumped forward into the business cabin. smile

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Mon 13-Aug-18 18:21:09

That is super cheap. Go for it.

MrsSnootyPants2018 Mon 13-Aug-18 18:25:31

Yes yes yes!!!

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 13-Aug-18 18:51:38

Yes, absolutely. Its a bargain.

SoupDragon Mon 13-Aug-18 18:57:00

Hell yes!

I flew business to Antigua “just the once” and I’ve not been able to bring myself to fly anything else since. Thankfully I fly rarely!

BubblesBuddy Mon 13-Aug-18 18:59:59

For a 13 hour flight it’s a no brained. You can sleep!!!!

SingingTunelessly Mon 13-Aug-18 19:00:58

Totally worth it. Don’t hesitate.

LemonysSnicket Mon 13-Aug-18 19:14:25

Yes. If you can afford it it is so worth it. We were delayed 3 hours and being able to eat and drink what we wanted in the business lounge was wonderful+ as much free alcohol and food on flight, lovely toiletries, you get to stretch out and sleep easily. It's fantastic.

LemonysSnicket Mon 13-Aug-18 19:15:37

I flew business for the first time in May and people are right - I'm ruined for economy.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in