Talk

Advanced search

Travelling to Jamaica with a one year old

(7 Posts)
mama3211 Sun 12-Aug-18 21:10:42

I'm travelling from London to Jamaica with our one year old next month, and am looking for some tips / advice / reassurance that we'll get through the flight (please lol). Would love to hear from anyone who has done this journey or a similar long haul with a little one.

This trip is very much happening and we are super excited despite being anxious about the flight so please don't post telling me not to go!

TIA x

OP’s posts: |
SpicyTomatos Mon 13-Aug-18 12:17:08

Fly overnight. Don't expect to sleep yourself. Enjoy the extra legroom and priority boarding. You'll be fine.

GuernseyLife Mon 13-Aug-18 19:38:55

I've done that flight with a 13m old. He was absolutely fine but needed quite constant entertainment in order to stay fine IYCWIM!

We booked the front row seats (premium economy) so plenty of floor space to play on. He had little push along cars, stickers, things to eat... we tried him with some ipad watching but he wasn't interested for more than 5 mins at a time.

DunesOfSand Mon 13-Aug-18 19:45:11

Take a sling if there is any chance of him letting you use it.
Take snacks you know he will eat.
Take an (empty through security) cup he will drink water from.
Take a change of clothes for everyone!
Take sachets of Calpol in your hand luggage.
Ignore anyone who moans - chances are you won't see them again!
Enjoy your holiday!

mama3211 Mon 13-Aug-18 20:08:50

Thank you for everyones comments so far! I'm happy to read that others have also gone for a long haul trip with a baby.

@GuernseyLife we have also booked the front row seats in Premium hoping it would give us some floor space for her to get down and have some time off our laps - so I'm pleased this is the case! (I'm not sure the person who has unknowingly upgraded to premium next to a one year old will be as pleased but hey there might be a spare seat else where in premium which would give us a third seat. One can dream!)

What about nappies and milk? I'm just switching my daughter on to cows milk but I was thinking of taking some formula powder for her bottles. Is that the best way to do it?

OP’s posts: |
DunesOfSand Mon 13-Aug-18 20:11:22

Take twice the nappies you think you will need. That's one thing you really don't want to run out of!

Can't comment on the formula - but powered just seeing hot water sounds easier than try g to keep cows milk cold?
Or pre order cartons of ready mixed formula from a boots airside at your departure airport?

HarryDresdensLeatherDuster Mon 13-Aug-18 20:28:08

Carry several changes of clothes in your hand luggage for inevitable accidents!

I always used to buy etc of mine a new backpack full of new toys for a long haul flights but they were probably a little older than yours

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in