Talk

Advanced search

Best longhaul

(13 Posts)
Wanderlustnearorfar Fri 10-Aug-18 21:11:47

Hi, all I'm looking for ideas for long haul destinations, we are a couple and are open to anywhere and have not yet chosen a dAte to go where is the best place you've ever been.

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 10-Aug-18 21:14:14

South Africa! Or if you want a beach holiday I loved Grenada

Snoopychildminder Fri 10-Aug-18 21:17:27

Tokyo is the best place I have ever been. I have been twice now, my honeymoon and then we went again and took our 20mnth DD, she was adored there (blonde, blue eyes) it’s a mesmerising place, love everything about it

Missingthesea Fri 10-Aug-18 21:19:34

New Zealand is brilliant. We loved it so much that we saved up like mad and went again.

RobinEggs Fri 10-Aug-18 21:19:53

Costa Rica. Absolutely beautiful- beaches, jungles,amazing food. I’ve never been anywhere that’s compared.

Wanderlustnearorfar Sat 11-Aug-18 15:53:41

Some fab suggestions, Costa Rica sounds like a firm favourite at the moment.
Has anyone booked a multi or twin centre holiday and who did you book with?

RobinEggs Sat 11-Aug-18 21:29:04

When we did CR we flew to Liberia which was the only place at the time you could get a direct flight to. Then hired a car and drove down to San Jose and did some jungle trips and then over to the Caribbean coast. Absolutely everywhere was stunngly beautiful and it felt very safe too. The highlight was staying at a place called Pacuare Lodge in the middle of the jungle.

SJane45S Sun 12-Aug-18 19:33:21

We did Costa Rica 2 summers ago. I booked it separately as it was cheaper (if more of a pain in the proverbial to research!). We flew BA direct from Gatwick to San Jose - going by the Lonely Planet guide book & friends advice who'd been to both, we wanted to do the Pacific coast not Caribbean (although if we'd had more time and money, doing both would have been great!), We had a few days in San Jose (bit of a grim city but some of the political/historical stuff was interesting!) & did an Arenal trip through Viator before travelling down to Manuel Antonio national park for a week of wildlife and beaches. We used a local firm for all our transport who turned up on time every time with a big air conditioned people carrier. If you want any details, let me know - what we saw was beautiful & there was a heck of a lot I wish we seen! Overall though, in terms of best place long haul, I grew up partially in Kenya & I don't think I've been anywhere else that's ever really matched it.

pico1 Wed 15-Aug-18 10:56:31

Sorry to derail but am considering Costa Rica (and Belize) for next summer. SJane45S, I may DM you for some details at some stage if that’s ok?

badasscafe1 Wed 15-Aug-18 11:00:27

recommend the Osa peninsula if you are visiting Costa Rica-- is a beautiful remote area-- lots of wildlife. We've been twice, first time traveled around (arenal, monteverde, tortuguera, san jose, osa) and went back again with kids- just going to Osa.... check out Bosque del cabo.

SJane45S Wed 15-Aug-18 11:15:06

pico1 yes of course!

BubblesBuddy Wed 15-Aug-18 11:32:29

South Africa. Not expensive and really varied. Game viewing is a bonus. Zambia, Namibia, Tanzania and Botswana all great for game viewing, but varied. Namibia has more interesting towns and a more developed coastline.

Peru - Incas, scenery and culture. Equador and the Galapagos Islands are amazing. Rainforest can be accessed in both Peru and Ecuador fairly easily.

Japan is a very different cultural experience and well worth the effort. Ditto China. We are just back from Argentina. Loved every minute of it. Brazil has beaches and culture. USA has superb natural parks and themain cities all have glorious museums and galleries, plus iconic sights.

I think you must sort out whether you want beaches, culture, iconic sights, cities or natural wonders and wildlife. Then think about where delivers what!

Tartyflette Wed 15-Aug-18 11:50:35

Tokyo is amazing, totally foreign and curious and fascinating but absolutely safe. DH would go for a 2-3 mile run every morning and after a while decided to count the bits of litter on the street -- one day he came up with a grand total of three. Loved the way all the staff would shout out 'hai' to greet you when you went into a restaurant.
Not to mention the beautiful parks and temples, shrines, and oh, shops and department stores! Swoon. I am also determined to get a Japanese toilet the next time we re-do a bathroom. They are heavenly. Seriously. And the public toilets are pristine.
We combined it with a trip to Hong Kong which was a big contrast, much more 'in your face' but so vibrant and colourful. Street markets, hawkers, sad little shrines of offerings of incense and fruit outside hostess bars, wonderful food, expensive, ultra-high-end shops and malls, the skyline and evening light show, and of course the Star Ferry. The Peak was a disappointment although the ride on the funicular/tram was great.
We absolutely loved both places.
PS -- Virgin Premium Economy for the flights was well worth the extra.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: