Talk

Advanced search

Japan in the summer

(13 Posts)
DeliveredByKiki Thu 09-Aug-18 07:02:03

Planning on 2 weeks in Japan next summer - am well aware it is horribly hot but school holidays don’t care! Question is when and where to go - we initially thought as early as poss (can go from 5th June all the way through to beginning of August) and do Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka obvious route but now I’m wondering considering the heat and that we quite enjoy getting off the beaten track whether we should t do Tokyo then head more north? Any preliminary thoughts?

OP’s posts: |
TanteRose Thu 09-Aug-18 07:14:11

hmm, Japan in the summer can be really brutal - temps reached 41 degrees in Nagoya the other day.
The killer is the humidity - you are just drenched in sweat after a few minutes. I still hate that, even after living here for over 20 years.

So maybe if you can go early in June, that would be better - its the rainy season, but these last few years, its not been all that rainy!

this thread is ongoing

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3328908-anyone-been-on-holiday-to-tokyo

seeingdots Thu 09-Aug-18 08:02:28

We went in summer too and it was fairly killer but manageable. If you're in Tokyo I'd recommend a trip out to the Studio Ghibli museum at Mitaka, that was amazing. If you fancy getting away from the cities for a bit then Nikko is worth considering (I LOVED it there) - it has an amazing complex of temples and shrines and a short bus ride away from some lovely waterfalls and walks. Nara's worthwhile for a day trip out from Kyoto, just to see the deer everywhere if nothing else.

DeliveredByKiki Thu 09-Aug-18 20:22:08

Ok so stick to Tokyo/Kyoto/Nara/Nikko and not escape to Hokkaido where it might be cooler?

MrsBonnie Sun 19-Aug-18 06:57:07

We’ve just returned from Japan. It was disgustingly hot and humid, almost unbearable at times. We did Osaka Kyoto and Kobe and loved it! Bamboo Shrine, Fushimi Inari and Kizomizudera Temple were some faves. Kobe is just a lovely place to be and enjoy being beside the water. Lots of stuff for the kids there too. Plus it’s sooo much breezier which was amazing! ICOCA cards are the way forward - you use them like the Oyster cards in London. Just top up from time to time and use them to swipe through the barriers. If you need any more advice just shout! We had such an amazing time. Actually found out we were PH whilst there so will always have a special place in our hearts!

MrsBonnie Sun 19-Aug-18 06:57:19

Make that PG**!! Haha

interestingdays Sun 19-Aug-18 07:03:58

Not summer go in April (Cherry Blossom Season).
Go to Kyoto, Tokyo, Osaka, Hokkaido, Okinawa, Zammami

smerlin Sun 19-Aug-18 07:07:02

I would go in April too. Okinawa was amazing as an add on. Next time I would 100% do Hokkaido as well

TanteRose Sun 19-Aug-18 07:11:51

Oh congrats MrsB

It's actually cooled down here in the last couple of days! Not so humid (and there was even snow in Hokkaido yesterday confused That's unusual tho

TanteRose Sun 19-Aug-18 07:13:32

And the card is called SUICA in the Tokyo area - you can use it in convenience stores and taxis as well as on the transport system - very handy

DeliveredByKiki Sun 19-Aug-18 15:31:45

Again, we don’t have the option to go in April unfortunately - summer or bust as it’s the only extended period of time the kids get off school and we’re going en route to a family holiday in Sri Lanka with my parents

mizu Mon 20-Aug-18 17:38:38

Def don't go in the summer, way too hot. It's the humidity that gets you. And with children too, no way. Spring, Easter hols instead of summer hols.

mizu Mon 20-Aug-18 17:39:21

Sorry, just read that you can't go at Easter. Would recommend Hokkaido then.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in