Talk

Advanced search

Singapore Airlines with kids!

(17 Posts)
BeanCalledPickle Fri 03-Aug-18 12:01:17

We are flying from London to Phuket via Singapore. What are they like with kids? Does the seat back tv have things like paw patrol and peppa that they will watch for hours? I’m already a bit irritated that they don’t do vegetarian meals for kids! So they will be having an adult one. Not a big deal for the night flight but for the interminable 13 hour daytime flight home food is important!

Also what about connections? We only have an hour in Singapore which I assume is doable otherwise they wouldn’t sell it. However what happens if the London flight is late which it seems to be every day I’ve checked! Will they sort us out / hold the plane etc?! Any experience gratefully received!

mrs2468 Fri 03-Aug-18 12:07:07

You can usually go on airlines website nearer the time and they give you a listing of entertainment. Might not be specific was as you mention but they will have stuff for kids. Provided you booked it through the same provider if you miss it they should sort it out but they won't hold the plane. Don't mean to worry you but Singapore airport is massive I'd just check with who you have booked with what happens if you miss the flight. Hopefully they are in the same terminal at least.

BeanCalledPickle Fri 03-Aug-18 12:09:18

It’s singapore airlines the whole way through! Not in the same terminal but I remember that the main terminals are all in the same building just different areas are called different terminals

mrs2468 Fri 03-Aug-18 12:15:53

They will have to sort you out then if you kids your connection.

ShotsFired Fri 03-Aug-18 12:21:32

I have been on many late-running flights with a large contingent of connecting passengers, where they have announced this issue and given clear info (connecting gate numbers etc) and told them exactly what to do/go/look for. Very common on kangaroo routes and the like.

If it's just a few connecting, not as likely they'll hold it (but if you are booked through, don't worry as they'll have to get you there on the next possible flight).

It might be worth booking the travel assistance/buggy service as that will be faster than lots of little legs trying to scamper round Changi!

Do also check your travel insurance in case of worst case scenarios.

Happy travels!

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 03-Aug-18 12:37:26

An hour is very tight even at a very good airport like Changi (and it can entail a very long walk to get to the gate) but if you do miss the connecting flight they are obligated to sort this out.

I would not rely on the airline to provide re foodstuffs for children; I would take what your children like to eat and plenty of it. They may well not like the adult meals; some of these can be very salty.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 03-Aug-18 15:48:57

I think an hour is very tight - especially as your luggage will need to be transferred to the second plane. However, as previous posters mentioned they are obligated to get you on the next available flight .
I think singapore airlines has a dedicated cartoon channel. Entertainment and service with Singapore airlines is vg in my opinion.

BeanCalledPickle Fri 03-Aug-18 17:35:27

The minimum connection time at Changi is 50 minutes and I figure they wouldn’t routinely sell the connection if they had to deal with the consequences! We are the last flight so they would have to put us up overnight. So it is in their interests to make it work! I’m also working on the theory that if the bags make it then they will wait for our legs to catch up as they won’t want to drag the bags out again!

TheVonTrappFamilySwingers Fri 03-Aug-18 18:12:30

An hour is fine. We normally have an hour when we fly London to Sydney via Singapore. Honestly we have tried a few airlines and now we only fly SA with our kids because they are really helpful and you're well looked after. Also you'll probably find your kids won't want any of their meals anyway. Ours had kid meals and only picked things like yogurt or sweets of LG the tray.

TheVonTrappFamilySwingers Fri 03-Aug-18 18:14:08

Not sure what the spare LG is in my post though.

BeanCalledPickle Fri 03-Aug-18 18:45:00

I find the idea of getting off a long haul and back onto another fairly hideous! But I get that when it’s to see family you just want to push on through! Have you ever missed your connection?

BIWI Fri 03-Aug-18 18:48:36

Is your baggage not checked all the way through?

I'd be worried about an hour, as that doesn't give you much wiggle room if your flight is late, but as you say - it's the airline's responsibility to get you there

Amber0685 Fri 03-Aug-18 18:51:11

I just flew Singapore Airlines to Bali changing at Singapore. We had 50mins to change planes both ways. The way back was slightly delayed (1hr) as we were waiting for 50 passengers on a Singapore flight from Sydney, we made up time flying though so landed at Heathrow 35 mins late.

BeanCalledPickle Fri 03-Aug-18 19:16:32

Yes luggage checked through.

TheVonTrappFamilySwingers Sat 04-Aug-18 08:31:01

We've never missed the connection. Actually it's quite nice to get off the plane and stretch your legs. We get off, go to the loo, grab a good coffee and head to the next flight. They tell you before you disembark which gate the connection is at.

ToesInWater Tue 07-Aug-18 12:48:17

SA would always be my airline of choice with kids, they are fantastic. We have flown with them a number of times including to Europe from Australia and back last month (though I no longer have small kids). Changi is the easiest airport ever, if they tell you that connection gives you enough time it will. I have transferred planes with a really tight timeframe there before. My only word of caution would be that they tend to put a hell of a lot of chocolate/sweets on kids' meals but if you are ordering adult veggie meals for them that is probably the best idea. They will come around with ice cream after anyway smile

funmummy48 Sat 11-Aug-18 10:23:35

We flew to Sydney with them recently, via Singapore and the entertainment system was excellent with something for everyone. In addition to the meals, there were extra drinks and snacks freely available so no one went hungry. There was a passenger seat next to us who had a very tight connection time & the crew helped her father her stuff together before we landed then made sure she was first off the plane. I think you'll be fine. The only thing that might slow you down is the sheer jaw dropping sight & sound of Changi airport. It's quite something!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: