Talk

Advanced search

Price of holiday flights rocketed overnight

(21 Posts)
AsAProfessionalFekko Tue 17-Jul-18 07:10:38

Just that really. I saw flights in the morning on line and went to book them in the evening and they had risen by £250-£300 each. I know prices do go up and down but this is ridiculous!

Does anyone know if this is a usual 'blip' or should I bite the bullet?

OP’s posts: |
SinglePringle Tue 17-Jul-18 07:13:29

Clear your cookies on your laptop / PC. The sellers know you want those flights due to your cookie history and raise the prices each time you look at them. It’s to make you panic buy.

AsAProfessionalFekko Tue 17-Jul-18 07:20:07

It’s bonkers!

Fadingmemory Tue 17-Jul-18 07:25:24

I look at prices on my phone, then book using the laptop. Single is right about cookies.

VickieCherry Tue 17-Jul-18 07:26:36

Yup, clear your cookies or book on another device (not logged into Google if you were).

This happens to hotel rooms too.

FiestaThenSiesta Tue 17-Jul-18 07:28:45

Or there were simply a few seats left at that price. Many airlines will give a little “hurry, only x seats left at y price” nothing to do with cookies.

AsAProfessionalFekko Tue 17-Jul-18 07:47:48

Over breakfast they’ve gone down £200 them up £120.

This is why I don’t play the Stockmarket. I’d have a stroke!

zzzzz Tue 17-Jul-18 07:50:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyPenelopeCantDance Tue 17-Jul-18 07:52:12

Also have a look at booking the same flights on Skyscanner. You often get a better price still booking directly with the airline but using the comparison.

AsAProfessionalFekko Tue 17-Jul-18 07:56:53

Hmmm. It appears to have gone back down a little bit available through a 3rd parry travel agents. I’m wary of these as they tend to have dreadful reviews! When I compare the flights on the airline site they are hugely more expensive!

Sinkingswimmer Tue 17-Jul-18 08:02:08

Just while we're on the subject of cookies, Center Parcs do this too.

LadyPenelopeCantDance Tue 17-Jul-18 08:13:17

I’m wary of the third party agents too, but you can get a list of who is offering the flights and sometimes the airlines are there to book directly from. Have you checked Expedia too?

Mammyofonlyone Tue 17-Jul-18 19:08:22

Following with interest. Our flights have just gone up too! Thank you for the advice

AsAProfessionalFekko Tue 17-Jul-18 21:17:36

I just kept an eye on several comparison sites and had a number in mind.

When one hit that number I lept on it. A couple of times the price wasn’t available and I eventually managed to book at my target price. At one point the same flights were double the prIce we finally got.

I called few airline for a quote and it was about £150 dearer that I managed to get in the end.

I’ve kept an eye on prices and they haven’t dropped furthet and they are being advertised at around £140 more.

I booked via an agency which was ok but they told me me that I couldn’t reserve my seat and meals until 72hrs before the flight - which was wrong as I managed to do this via the airline app.

But the flights do exist (I did worry for a moment when I paid)! As I have seen confirmation via the airline

Yay! Time for wine...

AsAProfessionalFekko Wed 18-Jul-18 23:37:01

OK so - just checked flights and they have have up by over £1k for 3 seats. How can this be fair pricing?

somewhereovertherain Thu 19-Jul-18 07:43:11

Who said it’s fair. It’s a commercial world and all come down to supply and demand.

AsAProfessionalFekko Thu 19-Jul-18 09:00:12

I work in the commercial.works and we don't just say 'oh let's double the price today and see who bites!'. It's definitely not currency fluctuations either.

ManyCrisps Sun 22-Jul-18 22:36:05

The price doesn’t have to be fair they can charge whatever the fuck they wants

eddiej Sun 22-Jul-18 22:38:31

The airline put prices up for every 9 seats they sell

AsAProfessionalFekko Sun 22-Jul-18 22:49:07

Of course the can charge what they want but not all industries can get away with fees changing so rapidly.

It still sucks.

kingseat2016 Tue 24-Jul-18 18:57:39

Martin Lewis said as soon as England were kicked out of the World Cup that holidays and flights would go up.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in