Talk

Advanced search

What is a suitable age to take a baby on holiday abroad?

(23 Posts)
mamaandthegirls Fri 06-Jul-18 17:48:20

I'm due in October with baby number 2 and me and my DP would love to book a holiday abroad for next year. We already have a DD who is 2 in August, but wondering what age is ok for a baby and toddler?

OP’s posts: |
Smarshian Fri 06-Jul-18 17:51:16

We took our DD when she was 8 months and it was the perfect age for us. She had just started to crawl so was out of the frustrated stage of being still but wanting to get at things but she couldn't move very fast so we could set up "safe zones" on the beach/ by the pool for her to play in and relax ourselves.

NetballHoop Fri 06-Jul-18 17:53:09

How far are you thinking of flying? We were fine doing flights to Spain and Portugal once the DCs were over 3 months. I would think twice about any longhaul holidays though

WindDoesNotBreakTheBendyTree Fri 06-Jul-18 17:53:44

We took dd at 5 months (plus 2 year old DS1). It was hard work but then we didn't make it easy for ourselves (multi-location city/midsommer break in Scandinavia). We survived. Of course the children remember nothing.

silkpyjamasallday Fri 06-Jul-18 17:58:51

We took DD away when she was 15 months old, I wish we had done it earlier when she was less mobile and loud. Even on a relatively short 4 hour flight, with a generally well behaved toddler I found the stress of the plane journeys made the holiday almost pointless. We haven’t organised any holidays for the near future because of it, thankfully the good weather here in the UK has meant our decision payed off!

tarheelbaby Fri 06-Jul-18 17:59:03

We took DD1 (3) and DD2 4mos to Greece for two weeks (about 4hrs flight each way). It was fine. Airline was helpful; passengers were tolerant. Girls were good.

Almost immediately after that, I needed to go to a funeral so went by myself with DD2 to the US from the UK (8 - 6hrs each way). She was lovely, but then, she's the easier of the two.

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 06-Jul-18 17:59:53

We took DC3 at 3 months. She was due in June so we didn't book a holiday that year, but in the event she was such a chill baby we took the ferry to Brittany and stayed in a mobile home with Eurocamp. She was ebf so very little trouble really.

Actually we did the same with DC4 but to Wassenar, Holland.

GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Fri 06-Jul-18 18:01:50

My little boy was 4 months old when we took him to menorca for a week. He was EBF and sleeping well so it was pretty chilled out. We rented a villa so lots of space for us to chill out in the evening after he had gone to bed.

zzzzz Fri 06-Jul-18 18:04:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Caribbeanyesplease Fri 06-Jul-18 18:04:20

Suitable for what?

Suitable for you and your partner having a relaxing holiday? When the youngest is about 7.

Suitable for the children to genuinely “get” that they are on holiday and enjoy themselves? When the youngest is about 4

Caribbeanyesplease Fri 06-Jul-18 18:04:52

Of course if childcare is available, then the minimum age they accept I suppose is the “suitable” age

mamaandthegirls Fri 06-Jul-18 18:05:36

I'm unsure of where to travel, maybe a short flight like Spain or something. Just wondering how your babies coped with the heat?

OP’s posts: |
zzzzz Fri 06-Jul-18 18:06:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

afrikat Fri 06-Jul-18 18:09:00

We went to Florida when my.youngest was 10 weeks and the oldest 3. It was fabulous! The baby was pretty easy on the flight. She's been twice more, the older she gets the harder it is. I'd say before 6 months is the easiest time as they aren't mobile and if you are breast feeding it's particularly easy as you don't have to worry about formula and sterilizing etc

welshweasel Fri 06-Jul-18 18:11:57

For me the best age was from sleeping through to being mobile. We had two great holidays when DS was 4 months and 8 months - v easy!

lifechangesforever Fri 06-Jul-18 18:15:54

I'm taking DD to Disneyworld in November - she'll be around 4 months!

MissSmiley Fri 06-Jul-18 18:16:39

At least age 8
And I used to leave anyone younger then two at home as a matter of course, only a crazy person takes a two year old on an aeroplane
#lighthearted

Icklepickle101 Fri 06-Jul-18 18:17:29

I’ve got a 2.5yr old and having DC2 next week. We’ve booked to go away in October!

They are much easier before they can walk, I’d want to go away earlier next year

sausagerollsontheside Fri 06-Jul-18 18:18:12

3 weeks to like....11 months before they crawl or just on cusp of

My child is a terror now

Shutityoutart Fri 06-Jul-18 18:18:13

We went when ds2 was 8 weeks and ds 1 was 2.9. Baby was in a sling most of the time. His first long haul flight was at 4 months.
The younger the easier I think. Once they are mobile but not walking it’s pretty hard!

Cantcarryonforever Fri 06-Jul-18 18:40:08

0-12 months then not again untill they are 21.

foobio Fri 06-Jul-18 19:20:08

We took DD when she was 6 weeks. She was perfectly portable and we had a lovely time! Although this was before jabs so wouldn't want to go anywhere high risk.

I would definitely do it before you reach the crawling stage as things suddenly become harder to manage!

TroubledLichen Fri 06-Jul-18 19:26:31

DD had her first holiday to the south of France at 10 weeks. It was August and she was fine in the heat and the flight from the UK was super easy. If there’s a reason not to do it then it’s hands down the toddler and not the baby!! But in all seriousness stick to a short flight and lower your expectations of what you’ll get to do on holiday and I’m sure you’ll have a great time grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in