Talk

Advanced search

Budget £8,000 for family holiday - where shall we go??

(23 Posts)
Dancergirl Fri 22-Jun-18 13:14:08

I know we've left it very late to book a summer holiday but we want a 12-16 night holiday in August.

We did think of Eastern Canada but it's coming in too expensive so need a re-think.

DC are 17, 15 and 11 and we want a mixture of relaxing by the pool and sightseeing/doing stuff. Dh has suggested Thailand, anyone done this?

Dd1 is needle-phobic so we don't want anywhere that requires jabs.

Any ideas welcome! Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
DuchyDuke Fri 22-Jun-18 13:17:36

Goa and Singapore (if you stay in a resort) are probably the only Asian locations you can get away without jabs in August.

Your DD should get jabs for Thailand.

OrchidInTheSun Fri 22-Jun-18 13:20:26

Mexico?

Etino Fri 22-Jun-18 13:25:59

Thailand 💞
Kao Lak is beautiful and none of the ‘stuff Thailand has a bad rep for’
I’d never considered vaccinations for here either.

mummymeister Fri 22-Jun-18 16:12:41

Oregon - hire a car, stay in a tree house down the bottom of the state, a nice house in the centre and then up by the river in a log cabin for the end of the holiday. loads of outdoor stuff to do a fantastic state for a holiday with teens - white water rafting, watersports, swimming in lakes with snow topped mountains behind and incredibly similar to west coast Canada. I could easily do it on your budget. direct flights and no need for jabs. plus not heaving with tourists.

cricketmum84 Fri 22-Jun-18 16:15:55

Aruba is beautiful. No jabs required. And a beautiful mix of white beaches, snorkelling, scuba diving, gorgeous little town and the Arikok National Park, we did a day trip off roading, pirate ship trip in the evening, dune buggies, submarine tour through ship wrecks. Would love to go back but it's out of our budget sad

Mia85 Fri 22-Jun-18 16:19:33

It is 'green season' in quite a lot of Thailand in the summer i.e. very rainy. I've been at that time before (on a last minute cheap pre-kids holiday) and had a pleasant time but it wouldn't be my first choice if I were spending £8K on a summer holiday

DaisyLand Fri 22-Jun-18 16:21:44

Indonesia , Thailand , Myanmar

ShanghaiDiva Fri 22-Jun-18 16:28:24

Not the best time to visit Thailand IMO. Myanmar also in the wet season in August. Indonesia is dry as are parts of Vietnam.
For SE Asia I do think your vaccinations need to be up to date - tetanus, hep a and b as a minimum.
I think mummymeister's trip sounds great.

Mari098 Fri 22-Jun-18 16:31:44

Not Thailand, Indonesia is much nicer and people are friendlier. It also felt a lot safer and has loads of things you can do as a family that everyone will enjoy.

Dancergirl Sun 24-Jun-18 20:29:55

Is the food ok in places like Thailand and Indonesia? I had a really bad tummy in Sri Lanka.

Mamaohana Wed 27-Jun-18 18:46:55

If I had that budget I’d do a 2 week Royal Caribbean cruise from Southampton. Loads for teens to do on ship, sports, deck parties etc, wake up in new places every morning for sightseeing or beach days. Safe on ship for kids to go off by themselves and opportunities for them to meet new friends from around the world.

Dancergirl Wed 27-Jun-18 20:39:19

Thank you all.

mama we've done a couple of cruises in recent years, enjoyed them but wanted something different this time.

Have just booked Thailand. Bangkok, Chang Mai then Ko Samui for the beach. I know the weather might not be great but we'll put up with that. Some lovely other suggestions but getting worried about the timing and wanted to secure something.

Stopyourhavering64 Wed 27-Jun-18 22:10:41

We're heading to Koh Phangan and Koh Samui for second time at end of August....loved Koh Samui,( went with 3 dcs first time when hey were 20, 18 and 16)
Thoroughly recommend taking a boat trip to Ang Thong Marine Park ...great scenery and snorkelling, take a cookery class and go to Fisherman's market at Bophut ...
Thai food is so very tasty and cheap to eat out! ( we didn't have any 'issues!'...but did have Hep A injection and make sure you take deet spray for mozzies)

Avalicious1980 Mon 02-Jul-18 11:56:16

@mummymeister just read your post and we would love to do that sort of holiday. Who did you book through when you went?

Thank you in advance!

FeeEngel Mon 09-Jul-18 18:17:25

Sri Lanka or Kenya or try last minute?
We also went to Thailand in July. Island in the Andaman Sea. Yes, there were a few torrential downpours, but they are warm showers rather than days of cold rain.

doodlejump1980 Mon 09-Jul-18 18:18:47

£8k on a holiday?! That’s half my

doodlejump1980 Mon 09-Jul-18 18:19:29

Posted too soon. That’s half my yearly wage. Talk about first world problems.

cablewable Mon 09-Jul-18 18:19:58

£8,000!! Is that classed as a budget holiday amount???

bringbacksideburns Mon 09-Jul-18 18:22:01

Wow. Some very lucky people with budgets like that for last minute holidays!

NoelHeadbands Mon 09-Jul-18 18:22:15

I think the OP just meant that was their budget.

exLtEveDallas Mon 09-Jul-18 18:26:42

It's not that big a budget tbh. 2 adults, 2 kids that will be charged as adults and one child in 2 rooms. For an overseas holiday that's quite respectable.

MrsPatrickDempsey Sun 29-Jul-18 23:49:24

Mexico - loads to do

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in