Talk

Advanced search

Snorkelling/scuba in July, just me and 8yo, any ideas???

(9 Posts)
pinkism Mon 18-Jun-18 14:25:50

Hi all,

Am fed up of browsing endless websites and I've come for advice.

Son is 8 and a really good swimmer, snorkelled since 3yo and now he wants to try scuba if possible. If not, just see lots of 'good stuff' snorkelling. He's obsessed with The Deep cartoon and anything to do with nature and wildlife, so land animals would also be a hit!

Egypt was amazing, however I'm not taking him there, or Turkey by myself in the current political climate.

I've looked all over the world and cannot decide where to go.

I have the first 2 weeks of the summer holidays off and the money ready to go.
I don't want to spend a fortune, but has anyone got any recommendations for places to see turtles, rays, etc?

Thanks for reading my rambling smile

OP’s posts: |
AuntieStella Mon 18-Jun-18 14:31:15

I think you need to be 10 for subs (older if slightly built), based on what PADI says can be done.

The destination I'd go for is Malta

pinkism Mon 18-Jun-18 23:36:02

Thanks smile
You can do 2 of the courses from 8yrs starting in the pool

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 18-Jun-18 23:39:35

Vancouver Island is great if you don`t mind the cold (and extremely safe).

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 18-Jun-18 23:40:30

I`d be in Australia though.

ZombieHunter Tue 19-Jun-18 10:23:20

My son did half of Bubblemaker in the Maldives aged 8 last Christmas. He wasn't allowed to complete it in the ocean due to choppy waters and safety, but he had many pool sessions and loved it. In two weeks we are off traveling SE Asia (again) and he will complete the Bubblemaker on an island off Malaysia which was recommended here (Sea Gypsy Village). He will be allowed in the ocean this time and he is still 8.

We live in China and are keen divers / snorkelers, so if you are interested in Asia, give me a shout and I'll let you know which areas would be good.

decena Thu 21-Jun-18 19:07:00

In order to do proper Ocean dives, your son needs to be 10 ( Padi Discover Scuba or resort course which is after Bubblemaker which is pool based/ sea under 6 feet). Any dive operator who says they will take your son outwith these rules should be avoided!!

Lots of places to go snorkelling though. Egypt is best but we are also avoiding this meantime. Caribbean? Hot in July but we always go then. Mexico, Jamaica, Bahamas, Cayman, lots have good snorkelling if you check that your hotel has a house reef or closeby. Trip Advisor is great, just put in "snorkelling " in the search box in a Forum or Hotel reviews and there's always comments if there is anything decent.

There are some places in Europe but not the colourful coral you will get in Caribbean. Mexico and Jamaica have lots of turtles, rays etc plus lots of land based water activities.

AuntieStella Fri 22-Jun-18 08:09:24

Agree with decena

It's pool only for the under 10s (and nothing at all for under 8s) and he wouid need a refresher course age 10 (starting in a pool) before going out on other dives. Some places use designated sea areas as their pool. But you really need to swerve anywhere that says it will take under 10s beyond a pool, even if the child is large.

pinkism Sat 23-Jun-18 23:16:42

Thanks for all your help! smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in