Talk

Advanced search

Premium Economy Upgrade?

(17 Posts)
ShiftyLookingBadger Tue 12-Jun-18 17:31:05

Apologies in advance, this is an extremely first world problem! More of a 'think out loud!' grin We're traveling abroad to get married, longhaul. My mum has offered to upgrade us one way as a wedding present from economy to premium economy (win!) I automatically thought journey home, because we'd be married by then so part of the post-wedding luxury. BUT the journey home is overnight so we'd probably just sleep right!? Is that a waste of an upgrade? We travel daytime on the way out so the luxury may be more welcome. But then I don't want to have to 'look forward to' the naff journey home, I'm usually a save the best til last sort of gal grin

ShiftyLookingBadger Tue 12-Jun-18 17:32:12

Sorry I should probably ask a question! In your experience what would you prefer?

Musicalstatues Tue 12-Jun-18 17:34:04

I would go for the daytime flight to make the most of it.

TroubledLichen Wed 13-Jun-18 02:43:36

That’s so generous of your mum! But premium economy is not that exceptional, you get extra leg room/wider seats but the food offering isn’t much better than regular economy and it’s still plastic glasses and cutlery. Not trying to downplay what is a lovely gift from your mum, but it’s not an experience to make the most of. Hands down I’d take it overnight when the bigger seat, more recline and smaller cabin will hopefully help you get a better night’s sleep.

isthissummer Wed 13-Jun-18 03:12:53

The difference between premium and economy isn't that much but I would take it overnight, but that is because I hate trying to sleep on economy flights. If you can manage that then you might get more out of day time.
We gave it a go to and from uk/Florida and decided it was pleasant during the day but still pretty uncomfortable for a night flight mostly because the seats don't recline enough. I think I am over invested in sleeping horizontally !

KingIrving Wed 13-Jun-18 03:17:32

I travel from Australia to Europe twice a year with the kids and have stopped to upgrade as it is not worth it. The only nice feature is the foot rest otherwise the reclinability is roughly the same. I am slim so having a wider seat is not important to me, food is the same, flight entertainment the same, still airplane food with real cutlery but I take my own food anyway. I would buy the access to the lounge and between day or night, probably night, there are less people in the premium economy section.
There isn’t much luxury involved maybe you are confusing it with business class.
The main reason I stopped is that I actually sleep more in standard economy as I can lift arm eat and sleep on my son’s lap or him sleep on mine. In premium, arm rest is fixed, so if by chance the seat next to yours is free you can’t lie down.
How many hours is the flight and which airline?

KingIrving Wed 13-Jun-18 03:19:49

Also wanted to add, they might upgrade you at checkin if you are nice, nicely dressed and super in love, and have marriage certificate just in case.
Me with kids never a chance of free upgrade but if the flight isn’t fully booked, it happens.

NightCzar Wed 13-Jun-18 03:30:58

I agree, use it on the way home, as every little helps on a over night flight. Which airline it is will make a difference too. Some give you lounge access, some give you business class food, but generally speaking it wouldn't be classed as luxury. It is nice to be in a smaller cabin though.

That said, it's really lovely of your Mum and I would definitely be mentioning the wedding at check-in. You might get an upgrade and if you're in PE, it's one class closer to a business class upgrade.

anotherpersona Wed 13-Jun-18 08:27:53

I would choose the return night flight in hope of quieter cabin (frankly better chance of no small children). One difference is that you can help yourself to drinks & snacks if you can't sleep & get peckish.

KingIrving Wed 13-Jun-18 08:39:12

Most airlines put out snack boxes and fresh fruit in the kitchens and it is for everyone, not only premium economy. There is no separate kitchen in premium.

QueenOfIce Wed 13-Jun-18 08:56:52

Depends which airline, BA is awful as armrests between you no longer go up giving you a little more space and there can be the entertainment box under the seat restricting the space.

I'd go overnight, slightly more recline and hopefully some sleep. You'll not miss out on anything. Might also be worth waiting until you're at the airport and see what upgrades they have depending on how busy your route.

somewhereovertherain Wed 13-Jun-18 21:12:49

I’d also make sure in your booking you have it mentioned it’s your honeymoon - we got upgraded both ways, suite in hotels and upgraded car hire. All for one word in each booking.

mysteryfairy Fri 15-Jun-18 09:50:17

The chances of getting upgraded from economy to premium economy are fairly slim as premium economy is a tiny area and normally sells out fast. DH flies to USA once or twice a month, out in premium economy and back in business as the comfort over night is far more important to him. I’d say he gets upgraded from premium economy to business about 50% of the time which I assume is because premium economy is always overbooked. However he obviously has a lot of points with the airline and so is selected by their algorithms first for an upgrade. He also often gets offered a cheap upgrade when he checks in which he frequently ignores and gets upgraded anyway!

Helipad Sat 16-Jun-18 14:42:25

Some people get upgrades but I think they are really rare these days. Airlines can't just upgrade honeymooners left right and centre or free when there are people who have paid thousands for their seat. And I'd imagine the check-in staff comes across dozens of honeymooners every day so are probably bit jaded by it all. I used to work in a very posh London restaurant many moons ago and every night we got people requesting the best window tables as "it was a special occasion", thinking they really must be special but we've already heard that line about 10 times that night before they walked in.

If there's space in the business, they usually upgrade the gold and silver card holders first. This is our experience with BA at least.

Anyway, OP - I'd go for the return flight.

unusuallylongtoes Mon 18-Jun-18 06:34:38

I think you might be disappointed, PE isn't much different.
An upgrade to a seafront hotel room would be a big treat though.

UrsulaPandress Mon 18-Jun-18 06:39:10

PE is not worth the upgrade imo

BIWI Tue 19-Jun-18 18:50:57

It depends very much which airline you're flying with. Do you know that yet?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: